Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We're also funding something called the "Far-Right Observatory". I could go on and on with these taxpayer funded NGOs.

I dissected this claim, and Gript, at great length in the "dangers coming from the right thread." It's bunk, the sole author of the website has no receipts for the claim, and he himself doesn't publish his own funding stream nor does his website list any staff or editorial body so take that with a healthy tub of salt. (compare his site's 'about us' to some others under examination here, it's a crock.)

Very first result is from "An Cheile". Taxpayer funded NGO.

Do you have the tweet to show at least?

https://lecheile.ie/about-us/

"we work in partnership with the Probation Service, An Garda Siochana, Oberstown Children Detention Campus and other agencies to reduce the level of crime in the community."

They don't seem ✌️ "crusty" ✌️ to me just for posting a hashtag in favor of diversity, equality, inclusion, etc. and I don't know how they used it in their tweet - "#IrelandForAll Women?"

Another of the first results who were there is from the Women's Council. Also funded by the taxpayer. Granted, they're less crusty-ish than other NGOs, their tweet in question makes me scratch my head:

"As women, we're asking women to come out on Saturday. To stand in solidarity with the women targeted by the anti-refugee protests and to stand up against the misogyny evident at the protests"

So, they're basically marching for women's rights... alongside people demanding the importation of men from countries where women have no rights (as someone articulated so well here earlier).

Do you see any issues here? Do you see any contradictions and potential problems down the line?

All sorts of issues there - like continually going off about the 'countries where women have no rights' trope as if all the refugees in Ireland are coming straight out of Saudi Arabia with a machete in one hand and a stone in the other.

I don't see why a womens org wouldn't be in the right to call out mysogony where it happens - in this case defending women who are the target of anti-refugee protests and I quote, " the misogyny evident at the protests." I can only allow them or someone else to expand on what examples of that there were.

https://www.nwci.ie/discover/about_us

Here's another (non-NGO) crowd there yesterday. "Irish Anarchist Network":

Well, we're discussing NGOs, specifically challenging people to differentiate in their outrage between taxpayer funded NGOs, privately funded NGOs and, now as you mention, non-NGOs entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It comes down to maths at the end of the day, the left can demand unicorns all they want but “ homes for all “ is a fairytale slogan, we have to make decisions like adults, not children

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,933 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hynesie08 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

My logic is, Ireland is at crisis point, it has been for years regarding housing, health, education, public services. We had approximately 25k new builds in 2022 with approx 100k net immigration, we are losing doctors, nurses, teachers, police, etc as they cannot afford to live here and have no quality of life. In my mind it's pretty straight forward. How can we be taking in so many people and expect us to just cope, with the same infrastructure?

The great replacement is happening. It would make you wonder why the Irish government pushed Irish culture (language, sport, history) in school, just to effectively replace it with migrants. Again I want to reiterate, I am not anti immigration, and bare no grudge against somebody coming here for a better life. However immigration has to be controlled, for various reasons, and to help integration of said immigrants. That is not happening.

I've to jump off, but I'll finish with this, as this is one of the major crux of the whole debate:

If you think continually importing thousands and thousands of migrants (from countries and cultures where women are considered second class citizens and LGBT+ is completely illegal and very offensive to their religion) is going to end well, then go ahead. Keep advocating for it.

There's going to be serious conflict and fallout here down the line, but so long as people can virtue signal and not be labelled a "racist" for pointing out uncomfortable truths, then that conflict and fallout is a price worth paying, right?

Nothing personal against you or anyone else; just giving my opinion. G'luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In fairnes if you're counting that 'gathering' as 'hundreds' Ireland probably does look full to you.

Which is to say don't get bogged down in misplace outrage at "government funded NGOs" (that aren't)

And actually petition your government of legislators for a sane fact-based immigration/asylum policy structure that will work for the looming mass migration crisis.

I'd love to send all the climate refugees to the mega ranches and mansions of the oil oligarchy myself. Perhaps there'd be no such crisis if we didn't have nearly half a century of suppressed scientific knowledge about fuels and climate change.

What are you on about? There has been "petitioning" it's all over the news, people have been petitioning against successive governments for as long as I can remember, which has always fallen on deaf ears. Out of interest, do you actually live in Ireland?

The NGOs are a huge problem. Country is infested with them. There's no misplaced outrage and most of them there yesterday were employees or affiliates of said NGOs.

Here's the African lady from the United Nations making a joke about how everybody in Ireland must be a member of an NGO. Are you?

"I'd love to send all the climate refugees to the mega ranches and mansions of the oil oligarchy myself. Perhaps there'd be no such crisis if we didn't have nearly half a century of suppressed scientific knowledge about fuels and climate change."

What's the relevancy here to immigration issues in Ireland?

• Advertisement

A UN lady made a joke one time

Therefore anyone within farting distance of someone affiliated with an NGO is an employee of an NGO?

50,000 people at the protest have you reviewed even 10,000 paystubs to verify that claim yet? Three paystubs? There's as much effort to this as a typical 'paid crisis actors' allegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The vast majority comes from donations and non state funding

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Do you have anything to back up that statement? Or where the money actually comes from?

what? A project based in Limerick organised a march in Dublin? You dont seem to really know what you are talking about

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not anti immigration but repeating mantras about an anti immigration conspiracy theory. ok.

Terry Pratchet

From the link

"The research shows that the Government and public bodies are the largest source of income for registered charities accounting for more than half the total funding (€7.7 billion)."

Of 14.5 billion euro.

5,746 charities, wow, incredible.

If you have a read of that article, it really doesn't tell you much at all. Expenditure of 25 billion, an income of 14.5 billion, the government & public bodies (tax payer) pay 7.7 billion. Where's the extra 10.5 billion?

"Indecon estimates that if account is taken of organisations that did not report their financial data, this figure could rise to €6 billion " hmm....not reporting financial data, that would be a legal issue for a private company.

What about all the tax deductible donations, it's not mentioned there. Post something better.

Apparently a "normal" Irishman is a far right, white nationalist, conspiracy theorist. who knew.🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Just 2 of the NGO's - Not bothered doing anymore

• Advertisement

What? That organisation is absolutely nothing to do with mentoring in Limerick or probation services or restorative justice. Sorry but you got mixed up.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

"and challenge the nascent and dangerous far-right."

If anything they come across as the looney bins...imagining championing unvetted males dumped into communities many after destroying their passports... it won't end well

... it won't end well

Paranoia. And counterfactual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Some far right group decided to drown out the vigil for the girl in Offaly that was killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This may not be as strange as it sounds. Ireland is one of the leading countries in the world for charities and for providing overseas aid. We are ranked as the No. 1 country in Europe for donations to charity (much of this may well be rooted in the work of Catholic missions in the past). It actually wouldn't surprise me if there are more NGOs per capita in Ireland than in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Given the trends across Europe I'd say its safe to say it won't end well

Sensationalist rubbish. Conspiracy and misinformation comes from all sides. The "far right" in Ireland? Ireland must be one of the least politically aware countries in the developed world, hence FF & FG in power🤣.

Our politicians are more concerned about bending over for the US and EU, than they are about the people they're supposed to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The ONLY thing that's going to show up this shitshow up is when the money runs out. That's when reality kicks in and believe me it will. As sure as night follows day. Oh look it's the housing crash except with charities and fake virtual signals this time.

• Advertisement

We're so generous, we bankrupted our own country paying unsecured bonds. Great bunch of lads. We lost close to 500k of our own people after the GFC.

Advertisement