Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Awful miss by Hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Woeful wides by both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

After 3 rounds of D1 (9 games) Connacht teams have only lost one game, and fill the top 3 places.

The one game that a Connacht team has lost has been to another Connacht team (Roscommon v Galway)..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Where is he getting 7 minutes from?

Square ball comes back to haunt Cork for 2nd time.

• Advertisement

Super score by Jack McCaffrey. Looks like he hasn't lost that killer speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great game, fair play to the players because the ref was so far out of his depth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The few points that Dublin got when down to 14 ended up beinh the difference in the end.

A super save with the last kick of the game onto the crossbar stopping the winning goal for Cork.

A very enjoyable game which the ref did his best to ruin.

Action packed game ends in a Hurley howitzer smashing off the crossbar. Alls well that ends well though Dublin come away with the points but with a lot of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Monaghan Maor Uisce got a straight red card for kicking the ball away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Dart from Clontarf getting the crucial insurance point and all. Cork would be sick I would say deserved something from it after all that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

one hell of a save by O’Hanlon, last kick of the game, pulled off a superb piece of goalkeeping.

ensured the winning of game for his team, was shouting at the TV when Fenton screwed up that handy opportunity then Cork go down the Dublin end, our half backs look suddenly leggy and the chance comes and O’Hanlon, fair play.

7 or 8 scorers for Dublin today by my reckoning, good result against a good team in their backyard.

This made me laugh. If ever there was sentence that summed up the GAA, this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,348 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Problem is they are too often some former "mad bstard hype man" player.

Don't know any other sport where they are so antagonistic.

From what the people round me were saying, it could have been Kieran Hughes, but I don't know for sure. After the red card he wandered down the sideline, and the ref and linesman had to make him go off the pitch at the next stoppage. His brother has some form in the same department.

https://www.the42.ie/darren-hughes-monaghan-ban-4690277-Jun2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,348 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Says one of the great divers in the history of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Aye Kieran Hughes the Maor Uisce who got the red card. Imagine.

I was in Clones today as a neutral. I thought that Donegal did not make use of the strong breeze in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Perhaps, had a few wides/dropped short.

Were still ahead well into the 2nd half but I guess the wind allowed Monaghan to press and force Patton to try and go long against the wind and he did that poorly.

Brennan's effort off the bar came at a fairly pivotal time. Perhaps the turning point.

But Donegal not good enough.

• Advertisement

well, he’s not wrong, and he has plenty of other players and supporters countrywide agreeing…

one very damming photo of the ref laughing and joking while holding a red card above his head… not very competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He's also one of the best to ever play the game. He got some fairly robust treatment from defenders over the years with little protection from refs so I think he's entitled to comment on the current state of referring in the game.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Only 2 points between 2nd and bottom, pretty much anyone could still get sucked into the relegation battle. Donegal look like they're in trouble having lost the H2H with Monaghan and McBrearty out for the rest of the league. Bookies have Dongeal & Monaghan as favourites for the drop @ ~ 1/2 each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Approaching the half way stage in this league season

Div 1 - Roscommon the biggest surprise thus far and all the more remarkable when you consider they were late to appoint their current management and are missing a handful of starters from last year. They are in contention to reach the final now with likely Kerry,Mayo and Galway.

Donegal have a big task on their hands to avoid relegation while one of Tyrone,Monaghan to join them.

Div 2 is looking like Dublin,Derry will wrap up promotion with a game or two to spare. Hard to see Limerick not fall back to Div 3. Louth or Clare to fall through the trap door

Div 3 Fermanagh doing better than expected and Down not as good but things can quickly change. Looking like another new division for Cavan for a 9th year in a row. Longford,Tipp in bad shape.

Div 4 Sligo,Laois should be the top two

After what happened to Dublin last year, and with 5 points not being enough to save Kildare from going down along with them, could this be the year that Kerry go down? The word is that they were way behind Mayo in preparation for the League, and that produced their biggest loss to Mayo in 75 years.

Donegal beat them as well. They have Armagh and Roscommon at home, and Tyrone and Galway away to pick up enough points to get to safety. Or maybe win the division, that is the topsy turvy nature of the competition every year.

The Rossies is the big one always feel they have more ‘in them’ in the last few years - develop on those underage success’s. And if the right manager had them? Maybe finally this is their year? I think it would be great for football.

As a Dub though I think Dublin would really struggle in Div1 still. Football standards seem to have levelled out more in Div1 No handy games .

Although Cork have not got the points they probably deserve in Div2 they are bubbling along nicely. A team to watch.

To be honest Cork football frustrates me the most out of any football team in the country. No way should they have fallen so far in the first place- div3! Madness.

Again, always feel like if the right fella got hold of Cork and went at it seriously. With ‘serious support’ as the league ad goes. Could take off.

Hard.to believe over a decade ago Cork looked like they could could dominate the sport. Basically a Panel of over 20/30 plus strong players after winning Sam, plus League.

If Cork CLG was properly arsed about football talent (and not hurling dominated) football talent would not be wasted.

Still makes me laugh that Cork’s best footballer (with shoulders three sizes too big for him) is called ‘Hurley’ couldn’t make it up. God knows what Cork football fans make of it all.

Dublin made eejits of themselves in league last year - sideline issue far as I am concerned.

Kerry? Seems to be a ‘notions’ issue. Nice football just have to turn up? In saying that though Kerry always seem to find a way to avoid relegation.

I remember one year Kerry didn’t win the first two/three games and still stayed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭PressRun

Cork are a weird one alright. There's always a feeling they're a bit of a sleeping giant but nothing ever seems to come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

If Roscommon can sort out their defence they will reach their potential and early days under new management suggest they are working on that weakness with all players working back and getting tackles or block in.

Cork have been one of the GAA biggest underachievers. 2016 they dropped to Div 2 and won't gain promotion this year either however i see improvement in them and that is probably down to brining in Kevin Walsh as coach who took on the Galway gig in a similar situation in 2014 and doubt Galway would be where they are now if it wasn't for the groundwork by Walsh.

• Advertisement

Just an off the field observation. The trio of Evannne and the fellas who are referred to as 'God' and 'Whelo' in their own counties are a superb mix on League Sunday IMO. Hopefully they keep it for the long haul.

Evanne Ní Chuilinn looks like she really enjoys it and quietly nudges along the analysts. Peter Canavan thinks really fast, and obviously really studies the game.

Can see why he was such a great player. But more than that the fella is gas. Has that deadpan Ulster humour where you would not know whether he was messing or serious at first. That line he threw in about splitting Roscommon in two was great. Had Evanne pausing for a a second.

Not only that Canavan is not afraid to hammer his own county and son - Darragh if he feels it necessary. He did so the other night and Ciaran Whelan joking that Peter will have to stay in Dublin after it.

I was thinking no way would Whelan be as direct as that about Dublin. Even though he tries to be fair he holds back a bit. Basically Whelan is the 'Good Cop' mostly Canavan the 'Bad Cop' mostly. But both good analyst's.

Both analysts don't shout over each other, making it pantomime trying to make it about themselves. It's good stuff.

Advertisement