Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Nicola Bulley, Lancashire UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I suspect the police will not be too quick to work with him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If they were trying to protect privacy then they should never have released the information. Terrible.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

The whole case has been a farce. Allowing the husband take part in that terrible Channel 5 interview. Making a statement about alcoholic issues and the menopause. Day 1, it should have been said she was a high risk candidate and left it at that. Disaster of a case for Lancashire police

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

They had one job to do and they cocked it up royally.

I mentioned earlier in the thread some weeks ago that It’s possible she’s caught up in growth along the river bank- I assumed if they firmly believed she had drowned, which apparently they did, that they would have combed that area thoroughly, which they didn’t. A complete mess.

assuming that it’s her, may she rest in peace and condolences to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Xander10

1. Faulding was using the family for his own publicity. And probably influenced the tick tockers who arrived at the scene to play detective.

2. The family could have come out at the start and just said she occasionally had issues with depression. It probably would have meant at least that the initial police statement would have been taken more seriously as the probable hypothesis and the family's privacy respected.

RIP to the poor woman.

Post edited by Xander10 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

My heart goes out to her husband, daughters and family. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Didn't she drive to the school before going to the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

A particular tabloid was about to run a story about her issues. That's why the police, in agreement with the family, disclosed personal information.

That same rag then targeted the supt. over what she wore - most likely as "revenge".

The gutter press in the UK are frankly disgusting in every possible way - but people will buy such crap

When people criticise the job done by police so forcefully, I just don't get it - how are they experts but the police aren't?

There were clowns wanting to be the hero and do their own investigation, which the police had to beg them to stop doing. And then the outrage over it being made public that Nicola struggled due to the menopause and a bit of a drinking problem. But Nicola's family wanted this made known - with the aim of subduing the rumour-mongers and armchair sleuths. Plus, a missing person's vulnerabilities are important. Tacky reporting as ever but the dishonest dumbness from toxic feminists (I can be feminist as fuq but there are different types of us) going on about how women aren't allowed go through menopause 🙄 and how this implies she deserved it/it was her fault, when not one person even vaguely suggested that. Also "it wouldn't be mentioned if a man had a drink problem" - of course it fecking would! It's easier to be outraged than to think. Menopause isn't shameful - it's normal but needs more normalisation.

Oh yeah people moaning about the woman wearing the dress - I wouldn't have noticed only for those whinebags drawing attention to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,229 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If it is her body at least some closure for the family but so many puzzling questions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

"Update re Nicola Bulley. I can confirm that my usually trusted team and I were not passed this crucial information during our search, which would have changed search strategy."

Sesms to be an odious man was all over the investigation for personal gain

• My own personal belief is that it was a tragic accident caused by the reportedly very slippery conditions that morning, which discouraged many of the walkers. Nicola was a trim quite athletic person, a quick walker by accounts, and very likely tripped/slipped probably when taking off Willow’s harness.

No way should the police have revealed her particular health issues, it did not at this stage contribute to helping find her. If someone e was to sell the story to the press, let that be on them and the press concerned, but it should not have come from the police before a full outcome like an inquest or court case etc.

At the outset of some cases our Gardaí have said stuff like “we are particularly concerned for the safety of x and ask the public to keep an eye out…”, and it doesn’t lead to a big social media circus.

If the Lancs police wanted to emphasise that Nicola was extra vulnerable they could perhaps have just said “keep an eye out for this lady, who has an occasional health Issue, we are concerned for her safe return”. That would have brought focus on people looking out for her, whether still alive or deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,955 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The BBC did report Nicola's family were aware that someone was going to sell the details of her health and that's why the police released the statement.

There have been so many accusations from armchair detectives online, and idiots turning up to film their searches of the area for social media in this case, her family will see all of this in time, including her daughters when they're older. It's sad that so many have become so vacuous.

May she rest in peace.

• Why on earth would you change search strategy, a body is a body now matter how the person arrives in the water. Unless he is refereeing to the point at which a suicidal person might choose to jump in, ie from a higher point like a bridge. But I am still very puzzled at this, it doesn’t really make much sense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Her partners Pinterest account was hacked and images of scantily dressed models were posted on it. I don't think intimate images of Nicola have been made public?

Oh good. What I read posted elsewhere made it sound like that was the case.

Pretty petty thing to post by the hacker, with all the worry going on for that family at the time.

The source for what I'd read wouldn't be the most reliable. Maybe there is another story out there but I haven't read it.

I think I misread the source so have edited my post

• Advertisement

• Looking at streetview on Rawcliffe Road, the observers who altered the police had a very clear view of what they saw by merely casually looking down to the river as they walked on the roadside close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The police really did mess up from day one. I think the blame starts with them. They're the professionals and had all the info in front of them.

They allowed the circus to whip up around the case. The media are always the media. They're consistent. So you'd expect the police to be well versed in dealing with them.

Sky are claiming here the family are disgusted with the police realising the info about her.

But I'm nearly certain that the family released a statement straight after the police one saying they agreed/approved the police statement?

Sky need to be held accountable for that kind of crap. Unless im mistaken about the families statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

The fact the poor woman might have been at risk of self harm/suicide, and the police had been called to her house for a welfare check I think 1 month prior to her disappearance, would undoubtedly have been a very important factor in the search for her.

In this regard, I don't really see why so many people are creating such a storm about the mental health and substance abuse issues - that aspect just seems like the usual cohort in society who like to be perpetually offended by practically everything.

So she was having personal struggles related to the menopause, which might have contributed to her disappearance? So what? Move on and stop creating fake outrage from what is likely a fairly common occurrence in society.

The police were certainly a bit sloppy in their dealings with the media, and could have streamlined things much better to avoid the circus that developed. But their main job was to find her, and hopefully they've done this now. I do wonder if she might have still been alive in that 1-2 hour window after going into the water. Probably highly unlikely and impossible to know either way I suppose.

If it is her, condolences to her family and RIP to the unfortunate woman. At least they might have closure now, which sadly many families do not get.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into some "bash the police" farce. It's a very difficult job at the best of times. They don't always get things perfect, obviously, but most do their level best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Deeec

The only reason the police released very personal information regarding Nicola was to justify themselves. The police press conference last week was a disaster. The police could have nipped in the bud the media and public interest very early on by just saying that personal information was available to them that inferred that Nicola could have been at risk of suicide - no need whatsover to mention alcohol issues or the menopause. This would have got rid of the doubts as to whether the police were conducting the investigation correctly. The police/media and family painted a picture that there was no problems in Nicolas life and thats why the public didnt believe the suicide theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The police could have nipped in the bud the media and public interest very early on by just saying that personal information was available to them that inferred that Nicola could have been at risk of suicide - no need whatsover to mention alcohol issues or the menopause. This would have got rid of the doubts as to whether the police were conducting the investigation correctly.

All that would have done is got the same people on social media and in the tabloids speculating even further and putting out all sorts of rubbish out for clicks, likes and sales.

The problem is no matter what happens, no matter what a organization like the police do, there will be literally millions who will have an opinion on it and will voice that option.

That unfortunately is just the world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

How can you blame the police? The said all along they believed she was in the river. Turns out she was in the river.

How can the police be blamed for amateur detectives claiming she might have been abducted, caravan park owner could have done it etc.

At the end of the day, the root cause to all the problems about the police releasing info about alcohol problems etc. were the scumbags insisting something sinister went on and that there's no way she was in the river. Even still after her being found, there's still scum saying she could have been planted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

But then the online sleuths would just blindly speculate about why she was a suicide risk, looking at facebook photos saying she looks unhappy with her husband etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭griffin100

It can take a long time to find a body even in a small river. When this poor man drowned in Athy it took a week to find his body which was only 40m from where he drowned. https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dad-who-died-saving-son-26272957

Releasing her personal issues seemed strange at the time but in the context of trying to stop some scumbag selling her details to a tabloid rag it made sense, especially if the family agreed. Mentioning menopause was always going to be an own goal (and was not needed imho) given the usual responses to anything to do with this as an issue.

The police can't be held at fault for the usual interweb idiots that gravitate to these types of cases, just look at the threads around here for murdered and missing persons and the type of geniuses that they attract.

Whether she fell or jumped will never be known unless the family are aware of some other information. Either way they need to be left alone now as do her kids. It's always desperately sad when a young person dies in these sorts of circumstances. I hope her family and her kids are left alone to grieve now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement