Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI Live - Real Time Transport Planner App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭p_haugh

This was present on the TFI Realtime app, so hopefully they can add it back as a feature to TFI Live in due course. Or at least have an option of showing it on the map "departures" tab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

That would be brilliant! I would also welcome them to tailor the design. But from the looks of it, they don't focus to design, rather to the functionality only which is too technical approach, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is I noticed a future updates tab. So at least they know its a work in progress.

Thanks for mentioning. Within the app it says 'Coming soon' via the Menu and when I press, it opened their website with a list:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'll take working functionality over "design" any day.

This app has a very diverse client base: me who uses the same route every day and just want to know the wait at my stop, vs me who's visiting the Big Shmoke and wants to know how to get to Kilmainham Jail or the RDS or whatever. If the focus is on regular commuters first, I think that's the right call. Behaviour shift from regular commuters will cut emissions faster than from tourists.

• Advertisement

Also tourists and casual users are not going to download the app.

They will just Google it.

Tourists and casual users would more often than not just use Google maps. Which come Wednesday, should have access to V2 of the GTFS api.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no live train position in the new app - this is in the Irish Rail app so the info is available. No "arrivals" for train stations either; this is particularly useful at terminus stations like Greystones where you can tell if a outbound train is going to run by checking that the inbound train is on it's way. Again, the Irish Rail app (and 3rd party "Next Train Ireland") has this.

To be fair, the "live" positions in the Irish Rail app are often unreliable I've found. On multiple occasions the train passes the station on the map, yet it is still 10 minutes away! Seems it often reverts to showing the scheduled train location based in the timetable, rather than it's actual location.

It still of course should be present in the new app as well, mind you.

I personally, as a tourist, often download local apps. But I agree that most tourists would probably just use the maps.

Here, I currently use PT once in probably 6-9 weeks and still have a Leap, app and Leap auto-top up. However, I don't like TFI Live so possibly will use Google maps for routing and TFI app for a real time.

• Advertisement

Even that the trains are late is very strange to me. Germany and many other EU countries manage to get trains running at a 30 sec punctuality. Why don't we get that here?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I got a notification from the realtime Ireland that it won't be supported and to download the new TFI Live app. Is it not ready yet or am I missing something. If I open the map, no bus stops show up at all for me. Also the journey planner doesn't work at all. The spinner just keeps spinning and it doesn't show me anything else. It is just a bug, it looks pretty bad considering they are actively telling people to start using this over the old one.

Seems there is a server issue at the moment, it was working fine for me earlier this morning.

I'd hazard a guess there's some final backend processes being done before the API update tomorrow.

"If I open the map, no bus stops show up at all for me"

Are you in rural Ireland 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Just downloaded the TFI live application

now only used it a few minutes and very very very (did I say very) disappointed

firstly everytime I open it brings up a map of Dublin then spends time refreshing to update to my location !!! Why the hell assume we are all in Dublin!!

Secondly I tried to load up numbers of favourite stops from the older application- no response whatsoever from the application

thirdly can’t even see designated stops on the map or live bus locations for buses in Cork!!

Anyone else seen this ??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It should really store the list of stops locally and just check if the list has changed periodically or when you open the app.

The app seems to be semi working now, still doesn't load realtime for me every time, but the stops are appearing again on the map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Does anyone here know what date when the Dublin Bus app will be removed from the iOS & Android app stores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why is it being removed? I like the timetables feature in the DB app far better than the one in the TFI Live app.

In the DB app, you can see a list of all departures times for the whole day whereas in the TFI Live app, you state a desired time, the app then gives you the next departure time and that's it. You can't quickly see all of the departure times between x and y times.

I assume they don't want to pay for 2 apps. I'm not defending that decision but I assume that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Does this app say when a service is cancelled? I haven't seen that happen yet so not sure.

I'm finding the live bus position on the map very temperamental - it only seems to load about half the time. I have to keep closing the app and then trying again and it usually appears eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In the case of Dublin Bus or Go Ahead Dublin City services, if the controller has marked it off as cancelled, yes it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It absolutely does. I have seen it displaying so.

The app does have that feature but then it's down to your local tower. Limerick doesn't have buses that say cancelled ever but if the GPS is off you know it's been cancelled.

Galway had gone as far as making buses cancelled in a way that was visible the old app.

In the new app, I've not seen the word cancelled. But I have seen some buses listed as scheduled and am wondering if that's new-speak for cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

Scheduled means there's no real time information. That might mean it's cancelled but I've often had buses with no real time still show up.

They do sometimes show up if there is a problem with the GPS or at certain times of day with a driver change but in Limerick if a bus says scheduled I wouldn't wait around for it on a cold day. 90% of the time it's not coming.

I actually saw scheduled and cancelled one the one screen for the first time today. Good to know Galway are still doing this, knowing what's actually cancelled was a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I've used this app a few times recently and I found the journey planner good.

One major issue for me though, I couldn't view my suggested route on a map. When I clicked "map" from within my "route details" page, it just showed me an empty fresh map of Dublin.

The walking section between stops is impossible to do, without a map, unless you know where the stop numbers are.

• Advertisement

And after making these points, you still are thinking of calling it good? Imo, it's rubish, comparing to other similar apps in Europe or even North America.

Advertisement