Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

I'm just keeping a tally for those who are interested.

It also means new people may see the link to the "Enough Enoch" GoFundMe.

Feel free scroll past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sorry, I wasn't criticising you at all, I just wondered if everybody ignored him would it not take some of the wind out of his sails.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yes and no.

The Burke's don't care about public discourse. They certainly care about media attention in the hopes it might add to pressures on judges. But Enoch's aim above all else is to challenge it legally, to try get the courts to rule for his religious rights because he sees it as a battle between religious rights and LGBTQ+ rights.

The media were there for the first few days he was at the school this year. But then they stopped. They'll report on updates regarding the court rulings etc, and maybe if he starts showing up to the school again. But then they'll stop until there's something worth reporting on.

So us discussing it here means absolutely no difference. The Burke's don't care, nor do the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To be fair, Enoch does not come across as the kind of guy doing this for the attention

Say what you like about him, he is standing upmfor his beliefs, flawed though they are.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

I will say that assuming that what he really wants is a ruling based on his religious rights vs the rights of LGBTIA+ people, which I do not doubt, then he has gone about it in a remarkably inept way. He had the opportunity to have as good a case as his side is going to get. But he was unwilling or unable to stop himself from just trying to get his way by being a bully. So rather than making it about religion it became about his behavior. I have to wonder if at least in part his absolute insistence that it is still all about his religious freedom is at least at some level due to his guilt at having screwed up what should have been a relatively straightforward case. So while I think that now it is all about trying to frame it as a court case pitting his religious rights against the rights of LGBTIA+ people, I think initially he really thought that if he just threw a fit he would get his way.

Now I'd like to think that he would've lost his case even if he had been able to remain civil and act like an adult. Religious freedom is important, but not at the cost of letting people abuse other people over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

I think we'll see other cases sort of like this one in the future, which is why the judges are being very careful here. The courts love precedents and some of this is uncharted territory. It's beyond question that Enoch made a hames of this. As has his sister who supposedly knows how the law works.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Burkes will release their new recording; 'I fought the law...'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What will mammy Burkes reaction be if/ when Enoch comes out? AFAIK they are not tolerant of gay people either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Young gay lady on First Dates this week was talking about growing up in an extremely religious family and how she had to escape at age 18. Remind you of anyone?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That really is the crux of it.

Day 1, had he been able to keep his mouth shut and just worked his way through the official grievance process we'd be having a very different discussion about the genuinely complex legal issue of finding the balance between freedom of religion and equality rights.

Instead, it's just all about a petulant bully who is incapable of getting out of his own way , A trait shared by most of his family it would seem.

At some stage a more polished and politically adept person will likely bring a case like this before the courts without all the Burke drama and we might actually get some meaningful legal clarity on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think the law is quite clear on this: freedom of religion is a private matter - it does not trump.freedom of the individual. Nor does if grant you the right to discriminate in a public environment.

If that wasn't the case, we'd all.be vulnerable and a successful case wouldn't be in the offing, it would already have been taken.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

👁️ Enoch Watch 👁️

• Wednesday 21 Dec 2022 - Enoch released from Prison
    • Thursday 5 Jan - School reopens after Christmas Break. Enoch shows up.
    • Thursday 19 Jan - Disciplinary Hearing. "Where is John Rogers?"
    • Friday 20 Jan - Enoch Burke formally dismissed from WHS
    • Monday 23 Jan - Enoch shows up at WHS and is arrested for trespass. Shows up again in the afternoon.
    • Thursday 26 Jan - High Court - Fines of €700 per day to begin on Friday 27 Jan for continued contempt of court.
    • Friday 27 Jan - Daily fines begin to apply.
    • Thursday 9 Feb - Day 12 at Wilsons Hospital School (after dismissal)
    • Friday 10 Feb - Deferred High Court Review (Removed from High Court)
    • Monday 13 Feb to Friday 17 Feb - WHS on Mid-Term Break.
    • Monday 13 Feb - Removed from High Court (again)
    • Thursday 16 Feb - Court of Appeal (Judgement Reserved)
    • Sunday 19 Feb - Fines x 24 Days @ €700 per day (27 Jan to 19 Feb inclusive) = €16,800
    • 🏳️‍🌈 ⚧️ Donations to "Enough, Enoch" GoFundMe in support of Irish LGBTQ+ charities = €10,682 ⚧️ 🏳️‍🌈

(I wanted to check some of the details today so did an expanded "watch list" for one day only! Feel free to ignore.)

🙋‍♀️ Hands up who thinks Enoch will show up at WHS tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

There's a teacher in the UK called Kevin Lister who has found himself in much the same position as Enoch. Unsurprisingly, he hasn't gone down the roaring and shouting route and doesn't think Enoch's approach is the correct one. Still, it'll be an interesting case to keep an eye on. He describes himself as a born-again athiest. There was an article about him in the Sunday Times last weekend. Hopefully it's OK to post the bits from the article that aren't talking about Enoch?

Lister was fired after a complaint of transphobia was upheld. He is taking legal action against his Wiltshire school, claiming unfair dismissal. He said that if he were successful it would represent a “very big victory” for teachers embroiled in similar disputes.

“I don’t like to judge but [Burke’s] is not the course of action I would have chosen. I find it hard to see how he can pull back from the situation.

“If there are cases like mine that come to court, and schools and colleges get financially and reputationally hammered, then that might be the thing that enables Mr Burke to come back into education and teaching employment,” he told The Sunday Times.

Lister said that in his case he had raised concern about whether there was parental consent for the pupil’s desire to socially transition in the school. Since losing his job he has applied for other teaching positions but has not heard back from any of the schools.

“We [Lister and Burke] both got suspended and it’s at that point where our pathways diverged. He decided he would protest by turning up at the school, got a court order and went to jail for it. I respect the admirable courage but I chose a different pathway.

“I’d already made two formal safeguarding accusations in the college, so that gave me a very strong legal basis to tackle this,” Lister said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I hope Enoch shows up in the Four Courts tomorrow because I'll be there. Be nice to have some excitement rather than me sitting around being bored out of my skull.

Lister said that in his case he had raised concern about whether there was parental consent for the pupil’s desire to socially transition in the school. Since losing his job he has applied for other teaching positions but has not heard back from any of the schools.

In Enoch's case, the request came from the parents, as well as the child.

As an aside, I think the only reputations being hammered, are those of the transphobic teachers.

Oh, I agree. But it would be nice to have a judge rule that way officially on the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It sounds like their cases diverged before they got suspended to me. Unless Lister was also suspended for being a bully to his boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He claims to have acted out of concern for the pupil but decides to deadname them. He got what he deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That reads to me that a qualified teacher genuinely thinks that the outcome of his case in a UK court has some relevance to Irish law. Bless their educational standards.

“If there are cases like mine that come to court, and schools and colleges get financially and reputationally hammered, then that might be the thing that enables Mr Burke to come back into education and teaching employment,” he told The Sunday Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Boards isn't much of a limelight. It's mostly a small collection of disgruntled 30 somethings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Outside of being in a foreign country it can't have an impact because and let's stress this for the millionth time Burke was not sacked for transphobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He (Kevin Lister) did not just dead-name his student, he belittled them in front of the rest of their class, wrote their dead name on the board, and entered them in a single sex competition in the gender they no longer identified as. Then he resorted to ignoring the student completely.

So much for his so-called concern for them. He more than deserved what he got.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Sounds like he was rightfully fired for being a bully to a student, rather than Burke who was rightfully fired for being a bully to his boss. With any luck neither of them will ever be employed as a teacher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd say most of the gruntles are fine, I reckon the '30-somethings' is missing the target a bit though!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So will Enoch get dropped to school by daddy this morning...... lets go to our correspondent......

• Advertisement

Advertisement