Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

A really poor performance today. A better team would have secured their restarts, kept a solid defensive line, and won convincingly by getting the ball into their 22 and preying on their weaknesses.

That said, this is one of those dodgy away games that most teams have somewhere in a season. A lot of lads will have heard the good/bad news of renewal offers this week. I'd be fine with a stinker of a game if it wasn't from a season that already has a list of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Absolute pile that was. Friend has been overseeing the same weaknesses for years now, can't leave soon enough. We have far too much quality in our ranks to be serving up this s****.

How many leads have we given up I'm the last few years and did our best to do it today, Zebre just happened to be even worse than us

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

Does it mean Connacht have to get 6th if neither Welsh or Italian teams finish within the top 8 for them to have Champions rugby next year?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No. The Italians are in a combined shield with the scots, so Glasgow will take that shields place

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There is 4 shields in the competition. The shield is a group of 4 teams, at least one of which will qualify for the champions cup. The shields are

4 Irish teams

4 South African teams

4 Welsh teams

2 Scottish and 2 Italian teams

• Advertisement

If Leinster win the Irish Shield (as they have almost already done), and then all three of Leinster, Ulster & Munster qualify for Europe via the URC, and one of the three then win the European Cup, would the Irish Shield place go to Connacht?

No. I checked the URC competition rules for this earlier this year. It remains on the basis of league position. The qualification rules are based on the four geographic pool winners and the four other highest placed teams. The URC, Champions Cup, and Challenge Cup winners only modify the qualification list if those winners haven't already qualified.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Sea_point

Except Friend isn't the day to day coach, and realistically the players can deliver in training and then stink the place out on the pitch regardless who is the coach. My issue is the Captaincy, there' a real lack of leadership out there. No-one with the consistent performance level or authority that Mul had, or a Craig Clarke. But someone needs to take on the role from Jack, and they need to be in the pack..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The team leadership has been an issue since Mul left. Butler is excellent at speaking to referees but to me he doesn't inspire the players around him. Boyle should get another crack at it In my opinion. A Craig Clarke type signing would be fantastic. But would it happen ? Has Joe Joyce much leadership experience with Bristol?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Sea_point

Joyce Captained a Bristol squad in friendly v SA A, don't hitnk he has any experience outside that. Has missed half the season so far with injury.

I'm a bit concerned by him as a signing frankly.

Signing announced way too early for a player of questionable quality, I'm not convinced he is the player that suits our game or will bring it to a different level.

I don't think he's a step up from Fifita, and a couple of steps behind Roux that left Connacht...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

No, the real question, is if Cardiff or Scarlets win Challenge Cup, which is not unlikely, did they take us back the league qualifying 8th spot they would have stolen otherwise by the unreal "sub-pools" rule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

It's a fierce shame that we'll likely regret that loss against Newcastle away when it comes to Heineken Cup qualification at the end of the season. Not saying we would have won every match but the home advantage would've been a huge boost.

If a Welsh club wins the European Challenge Cup but doesn't finish top of the Welsh Shield then they'll qualify displacing the lowest qualifying team based on league position. For example, in today's table Cardiff (9th) are qualifying ahead of Connacht (8th) but if Scarlets (13th) had just won the Challenge Cup they'd now displace the Sharks (7th) too.

We have exactly the same path open to us if we win the Challenge Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

It was always about representation. I guess world soccer is much the same where geographic areas are provided qualifying spots into the World Cup. However what is different is that these geographic areas have their separate qualifying competitions. In the URC these geographic areas play in the same qualifying competition.

As such I agree with you connachta that this representative structure makes no sense and the grouping of Scottish and Italian teams just highlights this even more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If one of them wins the Challenge Cup, and the other wins the Welsh Shield, then both would get into the H Cup next year at the expense of the lowest ranked team qualifying by league position.

The rules on how the 8 URC teams will be selected to play in the HCC each season are as follows:

4 x Shield winners

Winner of URC (if not already qualified by being a shield winner)

Winner of Heineken Champions Cup (if applicable)

Winner of Challenge Cup (if applicable)

The remaining places after the above have been accounted for will be filled according to final league position.

The above means that there will be between 1 and 4 places available to be won by virtue of league position, depending what teams win the four Shields, the URC, the HCC and the CC.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Thanks. But still unclear.

Do you mean the rule is unfair to Connacht TO THE EXTENT that, if Cardiff win Challenge Cup and qualify through that, Scarlets or Ospreys would qualify even lower in the table (instead of us)?

No, if Cardiff are the hightest placed Welsh team and also win the Challenge Cup, only they qualify for the Champions Cup. All lower Welsh sides would still need to qualify on their own merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

No that won't happen, (@[Deleted User] is totally correct), for example, if a team were to win the Challenge Cup, and their geographical Shield, and finishes in a high enough league position to qualify, (at the moment I believe Glasgow may achieve this by the way), all three of those achievements are just for that team, they do not transfer or confer any rights to another team to qualify. The only effect is that there would be extra places out of the 8 leftover to be given to teams by virtue of their league finishing position.

In other words there are a number of ways to qualify and teams can achieve more than one, and the only result from that is that there would be more places left to be decided by league position.

Say for example the first 4 teams are always the shield winners, we know those teams before the playoffs, they are locked in by that stage as HCC qualifiers.

After that there are only 4 more places left to be decided.

From that point on, the 4 highest placed league teams (that aren't shield winners) will also qualify except for the circumstances where a lower placed team wins the URC, HCC or CC to gain qualification.

e.g. (extrapolating from the current league standings) 4xSW (e.g. Leinster, Stormers, Glasgow, Cardiff), 1xURCW (e.g. Stormers), 1xHCCW (e.g. Leinster), 1xCCW (e.g. Glasgow), in this scenario all three champions would have won their geographical Shield, and also all three would have finished with a decent enough league position to expect to qualify that way as well (all are top 4 presently), so after taking those 4 teams that would have qualified out of the 8 places available, there would be 4 places leftover for the other teams, and which other 4 teams would qualify would be determined by their final league position (or final league standing to use the URC terminology). At present that's looking like Ulster, Munster, Bulls and Sharks. While Connacht are in 8th position presently, Cardiff would take the qualification position from Connacht by dint of winning the Welsh Shield (this system is up for review at the end of this season, however the only article I could find mentioned the word unanimous, so maybe all Unions would have to agree to change it, and Wales definitely wouldn't agree at the moment as they've benefitted now two years in a row).

(SW = Shield Winners, URCW = United Rugby Championship Winner, HCCW = Heineken Champions Cup Winner, CCW = Challenge Cup Winner)

Just to add an extreme example out of interest, in any given year, if two of the shield were particularly poor, let's say the Irish and South African shield are better than the other two and their 8 teams occupy the top 8 spots,

and let's say for example Glasgow were in the bottom half of the table below Edinburgh yet managed to win the Champions Cup, and Benetton were below Edinburgh also and managed to win the Challenge Cup, then there would be a situation where two shield winners plus the HCC and CC winners were all outside of the top 8, then lets' say Connacht were 8th in the league but won the URC and qualification. To add a twist, if the Shield winner of one of the two Irish or South African Shield were outside the top 3 then they would take the qualifying place from the 3rd ranked team. There could even be the case that the team that made the final would not qualify, if they weren't in the top 2. It is extremely unlikely though but an interesting musing.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I would much prefer Roux to come back in fairness and he has said before he would come back to live. Is he still with Bath or gone back to Toulon?

Still at Bath. He was starting regularly but he picked up a knee injury at the end of 2022. No idea how serious it is and how long he's expected to be out for.

I'd say that Joe Joyce will be the final experienced recruitment in the second row this Summer. We'll back the Murray brothers to stay fit and have lock cover from the back row too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Wonder where they see dowling and josh murphys futures

Right now I'm wondering who "they" are going to be? 😆 It's looking like we'll be retaining a maximum of two of our five coaches.

I see Dowling as a second row.

I think Josh Murphy will remain a utility lock / blindside next season unless reduced squad size and injuries leave us short in either position. I feel like we haven't gotten the best out of him this season and maybe a settled position might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I’d have thought similarly but dowling seems to have been lining out at 6 when ever he has played (not too often)

The bad news about Wilkins is confirmed. He's now officially Head Coach next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

It's probably the least exciting announcement that could have happened today (especially with rumours of potentially Carolan returning or someone like that), but simultaneously seemed the likeliest for the past few weeks.

Will be interesting to see who they put around him.

Screw it. I was unhappy when Andy Farrell got the Irish job, and he has proven me wrong. Going to give Wilkins the benefit of doubt. He's signed for 3 years. Might as well get behind him

Christ lads. Imagine how depressing this alleged "recruitment process" must've been if Wilkins fails upwards again to the top job permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Weakest appointment Connacht have made in decades. Terrible sign for the province..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Since taking over as head coach, we have a winning record despite completely restructuring the coaching ticket extremely close to the start of the season. All while blooding the young players who will hopefully be the backbone of the province for years to come, and improving our defence hugely from the mess of 21/22. Imo we are winning the games we should win, and suffering from having probably the toughest fixture list in the URC. We are about where we should be considering our playing pool, budget, etc. As the likes of the Murrays, Cathal Forde, etc. enter their mid to late twenties I hope we can become a top 4/6 team again, but we are not there yet.

We do definitely need to get the rest of our coaching appointments right, especially Senekaal's replacement. Overall I'm cautiously optimistic.

Advertisement