Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Don't see why you can't get 12 panels up there if you have around 3.4m total height?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Measure roof

6 meters wide x 3.3 high

The jinko panel I currently have are 1.77m x 1.06 m

Probably fit 9 comfortably on one side..or at least 3 to start with as a diy.

What do you think 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

You'll probably need at least 4 to light up the inverter

Don't be daft getting micro inverters. Put a note in the for sale and wanted thread for a 3kW string inverter. There are plenty of people who have upgraded string inverters for hybrids. Will be a darn side less than 6 micro inverters

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sbeto

Hi guys, I am new here and looking for some advice, I just got 12x 415w panels up, 6 per string, they all are mounted on the same roof with no shade whatsoever. I got a sofar 5kw and will connect a DIY battery to it in the future.

The problem I am seeing is that one string provides me with 0.6A less than the other and I wonder where the problem could be, or if it is expected. I guess in the full summer it wont matter much, but we are in February and one string produces 180W less than the other and that can make a difference during the darker months.

The voltage is withing 3 volts difference. could it be one panel is damage? or a bad NC4 connection? I am not sure what to check and how without special tools

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

One thing I'd say is go on the inverter readout directly, not through the app as the app is a Snapshot that updates every 5 minutes.

It could be that the mppt hasn't stabilised yet

not sure what you mean by the mppt hasnt stablished yet, can you explain?

I just did a simple test, i swapped the strings connection to rule out the panels, and the issue still shows on the same string number so PV1 is still lower than PV2, did i get a bad inverter ?

Good thinking swapping the strings. So IMO it rules out the inverter. So IMO it really has to be a faulty panel. Yes, the voltage is correct but one panel is 41v but zero Amps.

A bad connection would really disconnect the string fully

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Mppt tries to track the best power point. If you were just taking it from the app it might have been caught at a bad time.

What panels do you have (so we can look up the spec sheet)

But as you have flipped the strings, and it followed, Gonna have to do a process of elimination, Start with 1 panel, record the voltage current... oh that wont work. as it needs a minimum voltage.

i suppose if you could remove 1 panel at a time, your looking for a voltage drop but not (or minimal ) current drop

They both are pointing the same direction arent they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Depends ultimately on the number of panels. If it's a low number of panels, micro-inverters are a good solution. For example, a 4x panel micro-inverter ~€350 on Midsummer new (incl vat), you'll get them less even than that on ebay of course.

Once you go above 5-6 panels, then string inverters start to become more cost effective. One additional benefit of course is if you have shading on one/more of the panels, with Micro-inverters you don't need optimizers as you'll already have panel MPPT already. That's not to say that they are "better" only that there's a case to be made for them in low number of panels and/or shading. Depends on the circumstances......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭randombar

I'm surprised there isn't "window shading" solar panels with micro inverters out there yet (probably are but I haven't heard from them).

A lot of buildings have shades to block the high sun, might be looking at them myself if the summers get any warmer. Would be great to be able to wire pv panels directly into a power source just inside the window.

sorry if i didnt explain well, when i swapped the cables from the strings, the same pv1 input on the inverter is still giving 0.6 A less, so the issue stayed on the same input from the inverter, it didnt follow the panels. and this morning i was getting 250V 0 A on both strings, i turned off the DC switch and the inverter powered off, that shouldnt happen, when i turned it on again the inverter booted and started producing. it is less than 1 month old so i am not too sure about it working well and i am looking for an exchange.

the panels are trina 415, but from what I can see it is the inverter

Ok, so the problem did not follow the string (and assuming you moved both the positive and negative cables. Therefore, it can only be the inverter. A string cannot be producing different results when connecting to a different input

yes both positive and negative were moved together, otherwise the circuit would not be closed i guess. I am talking to provider, hopefully they get it changed soon, sofar is asking about the FW on the device. i will let you know what happens with i. Thanks for confirming it championc

Guys

If I purchase :

Hoymiles HM-1200 1200w Microinverter

Which takes 4 panels, can I only get an output of 1200ww max ( so 3 x 400w panels) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just to clarify a little on the above. I was giving the HM-1200 as an example of why Micro-inverters (can be) a good solution for small number of panels. Not specifically endorsing that specific make/model over all others.

While it's a little more expensive, I'd probably go for 2x (2 panel) "HM-800" over 1x (4 panel) "HM-1200". The reason being is that the "HM-1200" or the "HM-1500" has only 2xMPPT trackers on it for the 4 panels. So if you have shading or unusual aspects on your shed.... that could be an issue if you don't have single panel MPPT tracking. In my case I have 2 panels veritically mounted. One right next to a wall, so I needed the panels to each have their own MPPT.

2-in-1 | HM-600/700/800 - Hoymiles

With the "800" above, you could have 400 watt panels. Shop around. Midsummer are in Baldonnel if you can get there easy enough. Another company I used in the past is Micro inverter 800VA Hoymiles HM-800 (wattuneed.com) (got two inverters off them)

Enphase are also a good make/brand and have a read up on them, Youtube etc.

Got price per panel

REC 365W TWINPEAK ALL BLACK 165 EURO. They look a decent panel

No inverters in stock yet - not until q2 of this year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

After 4 months, Solis finally replied to my ticket (actually second version of ticket as they closed the first after 3 months).

In typical Solis fashion they did not address the question but instead just updated my inverter without asking. Thankfully this didn't clash with my automation as that probably would not have been fun.

It's too early to say if the new firmware has changed anything but I will keep a watch over the weekend. It's now running 4400B0.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Interesting. Up one and down one version from the rest of us (can't remember which is HMI and which is DSP).

4300B2 was version that they pushed out with the notification on the app before Christmas.

According to an old post of yours in this very thread "the Solis version numbers are in the format XX00YY, where XX is the LCD (HMI) firmware version, and YY is the DSP firmware version." 😂

So higher HMI version and lower DSP version. I was previously on A10032 I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

Anyone able to provide some advise on Eddi issue. Doesn't seem to kick in and is allowing exports. Can get it to diver manually by going to settings and selecting set master. Any idea how to ensure the Eddi kicks in when harvi sees exports. Don't have a charger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Back to basics, are you sure Harvi is connected to the EDDI

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

A Harvi, if used, MUST be linked to the Master device. Any hard wired CT's share their data throughout the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

It's linked alright, shows as connected device and Eddi shows power being exported but doesn't kick in

Well I'll be damned... Solis appear to have actually fixed the issue that I have had since install in June with that update. Basically the inverter kept bouncing between import and export constantly when demand was below about 300W. This resulted in me purchasing and then exporting again energy which the battery could very easily supply. They tried to hack at it by forcing the inverter to import 50W but that didn't do much except ensure I had at least a couple of kWh import from the grid each day.

Anyways, here's a snapshot from the myenergi app giving an idea on what it was looking like. This is yesterday. Green is "generation" which is the battery, red is import, and yellow export. As you can see, you wouldn't generally expect to be exporting all night but that's what it did.

Now here is a similar screenshot from tonight. There are a few tiny import peaks with corresponding exports which is where the inverter has a slight delay in reacting to loads. I'm OK with that, and it's a tiny amount.

With all this I'm very interested to see what my self use will be for March. It should be significantly improved as I'm not exporting all the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have you got a close up of the MyEnergi Power Grid sensor in HA from before and after the FW upgrade? Should be a dramatic difference.

• Advertisement

Something dramatic happened alright, but it was the voltage on my battery dropping out as the kettle went on. It plummeted to 10% SOC. Still waiting on the PureDrive update.

From what I can gather the Solis update happened around 7.45 or so.

Advertisement