Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless road - it actually works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Yeah unfortunately it's like an incredibly fine slice on the sidewall, can't see daylight through it but the air escapes quickly... Brand new tyre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Correct. Mine went from about 80psi down to maybe 55 over the course of 6 days or so. I pumped them up to about 70-75psi before a long spin yesterday and they don't appear to have gone down much (at least according to the highly scientific squeeze of the thumb test). As soon as they're seated initially, you shouldn't need anything other that a normal track pump. I managed to seat mine using just a pump - I didn't need to resort to a compressor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I tend to ride once a week and would almost always need to pump up the tubeless tires. I have them on all my bikes with different tire / wheel combinations so I'd say it is just something to expect with tubeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I ended up getting a pair Hutchinson Fusions in a bundle from Sigma Sports in July 2021. Only fit one as the original front tyre still had (has) some life in it. June/July of this year I started noticing strange bubbles on the tread:

I contacted Sigma Sports who told me to send it back for assessment. They decided it was a defect and refunded me the price of the tyre.

The bubbles stayed inflated even when I took the tyre off, but had deflated fully by the next morning. I'll have to wait see if the second tyre develops a similar issue.

Pleased with the Sigma Sports customer support, but I think I'll try a different tyre next time 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've seen that a good few times now. If that's a tubeless tyre yeah? Then your tyre pressures are too high. I had it in a succession of mavics and a mate also had the same issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is it really from over pressure? That’s interesting!

We’ve discussed it in a previous thread ( I think we both bought the same Mavic Ksyrium bundle). I had the same issue with a couple of different Mavic tyres, always on the back wheel. But it never happened with any other brand of tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah I think so. Because we've a brace of lads in the club who have embraced disk and hookless and tubeless 28's but they can't get their traditional roadie heads around the low pressures. They're pumping then up too hard and getting that exact same bubbling delamination!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Any suggestions for tubeless repair kits?

Dynaplug or Stans Dart both look good. I've tried one of the ones where you use a piece of rubber that looks like a worm but not sure if they are suited for road tires at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm on dynaplug. used twice, seem to work.

Anyway recently rejoined the tubeless road club. panaracer slick tlc 38. with tanwall for bonus points. serious battle fitting em, but worth it now that they are fully sealed. Fantastic ride quality. running 45 psi front, 50 rear. Ill report back when I get a proper dry spin in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Posted this on another thread but what are the tubeless tyre recommendations these days (links to places were they are in stock at a decent price always welcome) ? I usually stick with the brands I know but need to start looking at others that have come on the market

---

I've been running tubeless for several years and while the wear of the tyres has been ok when rolling the biggest downer for me has been that locking the brakes and skidding removes a huge chunk of rubber rendering the tyre useless.

This has happened me in a couple of races and while I got to the end you couldn't ignore the bald patch and leave the tyre on. In fact I did that once and next race it went so lesson learned.

Same thing happened on a club spin when braking after a dog ran out.

Given the rising cost of quality tyres it's disconcerting. I've ran continental gp 5000, schwalbe pro one and Vittoria Corsa speed g+ . It use to be all about rolling resistance for me but I'm at a point where I would sacrifice some of that for a tubeless tyre that can survive a skid.

Any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm not sure if I could recommend the panaracer for that, as the amount of tread seems small. But I'm careful to not lockup, and I've had to do 2 emergency stops on these already. In a really hard stop you need to use more front due to weight transfer. I think I generally use more front than a lot of road cyclists.

I think it would be better to look at braking technique as the only tyres hard enough to tolerate much skidding are likely to have hard compound and not much grip.

When its all in a heap on the road in front of you, you don't have many options

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

@harringtonp what's your first race this year? Best advice would be too go off the front early and I'll stay behind you to analyse your breaking technique.

On a more serious note, are many racers using tubeless? I'm tempted to get GP5000 TR but for the few watts difference on my race wheels, I am struggling to make the leap. Anyone have any experience on them taking corners at high speed, the GP5000 tubed have been excellent.

When you're off the front you don't usually need to brake 😁

The last binned tyre was the finish of the first stage in Charleville last September. Hard braking followed by release and pull to right to avoid bodies on the ground. Stayed upright but it cost the tyre.

The 5000 TR has great grip. The main reason for racing with tubeless wouldn't be watt savings but reducing punctures. Guys generally don't call potholes in races and pinch flats when running tubes can be a regular enough occurrence

Don't I know it, many a race I got lucky after bottoming out the tyre on an uncalled pothole and miraculously not puncturing. I love the GP5000 because of the grip, I can lean over like I'm racing a Moto GP if the road surface is good, served me better than the apparent watt saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Apologies as I'm sure this has probably been discussed already in the thread, but trying to find out with the now useless search tool on here, and I'm not going to reread 20 pages!

What are the thoughts re topping up sealant vs. taking the tyres off and cleaning out all the gunk first? I presume strictly speaking the latter is the best way to go, but I've not done it since going tubeless last April, just topped up the sealant. My thinking is I'll probably do it in a few months time when I'd be due the next top up, them maybe settle into once a year, or when the tyre needs changed.

The tubeless setup has worked very well. Tempting fate, but I've had no flats in the past 9 months. That said, I have been on the road less than I would have been in previous years from being in the office a fair bit less, and family stuff meaning I've spent a fair amount on the turbo instead over the past few months, but still, happy with it.

I just top up. The tires never last more than one top up anyway.

I just top up every six months - the tire either wears out or you get a puncture that doesn't seal and it needs replacing that way before you will have topped up 3 or 4 times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Tubeless tyres only last 6 months??? Am I reading that right??

No I get a few thousand km out of them but the sealant does dry up. Rather than removing the tire, cleaning and removing dried sealant, reseating etc every 6 months, I just add in more sealant and then when the time does come to replace the tire, I do a proper clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Ah!! Thanks - I read that completely wrong 😂 I run tubless on my CX and am still on the fence with road bike - I was worried there for a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

I'm looking at taking the plunge and going tubeless. Can someone who runs them honestly tell me. Have you ever been stranded? Puncture that just wouldn't seal etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I have them on the gravel bike and yes, puncture that wouldn't seal (I think a jagged bit of rock must have sliced the sidewall, a possible freak bad luck or what, I don't know).

So basically at that point you are tubed. Eg I was carrying a spare tube and Co2 so put it back together like regular bike.

I wouldn't go tubeless on the road bikes, I don't think. I mean you are carrying a spare tube, tyre levers and Co2 anyway in case... So I'm not sure what the benefit is. I rarely get punctures on the road bike, I know what is gonna happen now...

Also a faff then new things, syringe, tubeless valves, special tyres, I bought a special pump attachment to go with my track pump to seat the tyres but I haven't actually needed it, they seat fine with just track pump. Then you are topping up the sealant etc... I got the good stans sealant and the crystals in it are so thick it won't fit through the valves, so I have to pop the tyre off the bead and just pour into the tyre...

Also a valve core remover!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Anyone have much experience with using any of the repair kits for a hole which won't seal?

Local shop has dynaplug and stans dart. Lad in the shop wasn't sure if the stans dart would only work well with stans sealant or if it is ok to use with others.

They don't have the muc-off one

Advice needed guys. Got a set of scribe wheels and 2 brand new schwalbe pro one tyres (older generation). They both went on easily with just pumping and are a tight fit.

The rear once pumped up has stayed up days after.

With the front you can hear air coming out around the valve, it goes down slowly in about 30 mins. I've tightened both the valve and valve core using a pliers but it makes no difference.

I haven't yet put sealant in either, generally I try and get them staying up first without it.

Any ideas as to where/why the air might be leaking on the front ? Remember same rim/tyre as the rear which is as air tight as I've ever seen with a road tubeless setup ?

I would expect that the front will stay up once I add sealant, any views to the contrary ?

I'd give the sealant a try

Have a spare tubeless valve and will try that and see does it make any difference.

If not will add the sealant and see as you suggest thanks.

The tubeless valves in the wheels came supplied with them.

• Advertisement

Tried a different valve but it went down even quicker. Went back to the original valve , refitted and this time it held pressure overnight.

So good to go now adding sealant through the valves. I reckon if you can get a good seal to start with then you're less likely to have to be pumping before each cycle and the sealant you put in will be more likely to be sloshing around rather than plugging installation gaps

Advertisement