Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Villa05

My apologies for getting facts in the way of an argument.

As of 01/12/2022

He said that Revenue records indicate that about 11,200 people from Ukraine are in employment, more than a third of the approximately 30,000 who are of working age. Mr McKeon said many Ukrainians of working age in Ireland were women who have children with them and they were not in a position to take up employment.

Not bad considering they didn't all arrive on day 1 of the war. Did anyone in the state consider allowing them to have a childcare facility that they could organise themselves. They seem quite adept at holding back an army 10 times there size, I'm sure childcare wouldn't be as complicated as we make it here

Its a bit rich for a hotelier to be overly concerned about taxpayers money. I'm sure they wish to go back to ripping off said taxpayers if they wish to get married. Said hotelier must be doing quite well out of the situation when the state needs an extra 60 staff to process the payments to said hotels.

Other hoteliers seem to be far more proactive on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I gave a rough synopsis of what happened on the show. The woman in question was speaking for herself and was not a representative of Ireland's hotel industry. She gave what I thought were her own thoughts going by her own lived experience talking to her UA guests over the last year. I would imagine a certain trusting relationship would build up over a year between guests and host, giving some credibility to her comments. So you can throw all the stats you like around, it makes no difference.

If you want to take it further, I suggest taking it up with RTE. Do let us know how that works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Villa05

We do have a government that could not organise a session in a brewery. To have more than 1 third working is phenomenal given language, concerns for relatives at war, kids in tow, constant moving of address, organising schools etc.

If we were as resilient as them we would be some country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you think you might be exaggerating just a tad on the “lifetime of travelling” claim? What’s your position based on?

You’ll be delighted to hear that he’s just retired from the TV show but is continuing to work, so you’ll be happy to listen, right?

What has his retirement status got to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It’s perfectly obvious what the lads ‘retirement ‘ status has to do with anything, already explained.

Now just to make things clear, I have nothing personal to argue with the Dunc with.

Its just I dislike being made ‘feel guilty’ by a lad who has probably burned a lot more carbon than most of us.

Thats all I’m concerned about.

If I’m wrong I’m happy to apologize as always…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,748 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So you vented publicly without knowing if he has burned a lot more carbon?

Japers Brendi, sometimes it's better for the auld PR to stay silent. 😁

I think if you read post 4001 you will find I did nothing of the kind.

Maybe have a look a Carlsberg ad. Francis.

You said this:

Lookit….my point is that it’s very easy for a dude to come on the radio pontificating about ‘global warming’ after a lifetime travelling around the globe with a team of support.

My contention and of course I can’t back it up but I would suggest the bould Dunc probably burnt off more carbon than most of us on here with air travel.

Then revealed you didn't actually know and would apologise if proved wrong.

So this is actually correct:

So you vented publicly without knowing if he has burned a lot more carbon?

Put the spade back in the shed Compadre.😁

Hehehe I’m afraid Francie your command of the English language is somewhat lacking.

You need to buck up a bit before you take on the Bren.

• Advertisement

Ooooh….. bad mistake there Francis, that’s a British spade.

The Bren would never use one of those bad boys.

Surely that’s not on your premises?

The handle Francis, the handle……..try to keep up.

Yeah, the hotelier said that all these pesky building regulations were slowing down development.

I guess she's never heard about mica, pyrites, Priory Hall, Dundrum View, accessibility for people with disabilities, desperately poor insulation on houses or any of the other disasters courtesy of our building industry over the past couple of decades.

Far as I know the steel in the handle is from Sheffield as well Brendi. I prefer it to wood tbh.

No, you didn't explain what his retirement status has to do anything. You said you'd prefer not to hear it from someone who has retired, but you didn't explain why - so again I ask, what has his retirement status got to do with anything?

It's a bit late now to say that 'you've nothing personal against him' after you've made unfounded allegations about him.

It's fairly obvious what the issue is here. He DID make you feel guilty, as you've said yourself. You don't like that feeling, so instead of looking inward to find the source, you lash out to try to blame someone else. I'm not sure that you're in much of a position to lecture anyone on their flight related carbon footprint.

No allegations dude, merely surmisals .

Seems to have been a bit of a ‘family business’ though that Eco eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"Family businesses" tend to be run by "the people who get up early in the morning".

• Advertisement

Thanks for proving my point beautifully by dragging up another red herring about‘family business’. Any excuse to avoid listening to the actual message, because maybe you’d feel guilty about your own flight history.

Suggestion: Sunday morning drinking game, where you down a glass of Prosecco every time hotelier Lorraine says “Welk, if it was a business…”.

Public service isn’t a business Lorraine. Businesses have paying customers. Public services provide services to all, so it’s just a bit different. You’re outside your comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Public service may not be a business....but what I think the lady was getting at was the the Public Service should be more like a business.

I believe the public service is stuffed with drones and timeservers and an ineffectual middle management sector.

Valid in my opinion to compare some aspects of public service with similiar areas in business as the lady did ...no need to get overly defensive about it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Spot on, Nev. I, myself, have a few chums working civil service.

I mentioned that whole thing of “quiet quitting”, where you do the minimum required for the job, awhile back and they laughed saying ‘doing that in our place would be considered going above and beyond!’.

Some gig, in fairness, but it takes a special type of personality to handle that “level” of boredom. Not sure it would be for me, idle hands and all that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I know well what she was getting at. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

The public sector should NOT be more like a business. Just because you've run a business, it doesn't give you the first clue about how to run decent public services. Businesses have customers who pay for specific products and service. Public services don't. You don't want public services run like a business, just because that's the only thing you know how to run. You want to run public services as good public services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Ciaran Hinds is a very good actor. Haven't seen "The Dry"... Its probably absolute muck, but love Ballsey going, it's brilliant, you're Brilliant, I'm brilliant.... and sure aren't we ALL brilliant? 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dr Eva great.

how times can you mention hotel in one interview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Two absolute pain in the holes, Brendan and “dr Eva”, if it is wasn’t for him we wouldn’t have to listen to her anymore, people are sick of listening to her, please F off back to Portugal you aul witch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I realise that radio tastes differ, but honestly how could anyone listen to the drivel put out by RTE on a weekend (or any other time) anymore?

I am commenting without having listened, because I just couldn't bear to listen to any of it. C#mere, listen, I'm a sycophant and afraid of me life RTE and I will be sued if anyone says anything vaguely against Government policy, and I can only attract the same old same old so called guests that people just can't wait to listen to a lecture from.

Ugh. No more RTE for me. Same sh"t different day, same presenters, same voice, same topics, same old same old.

As you can see I am in a bad mood. Off to watch the rugby now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

it was on whilst I changed bottom bracket bearings, swapped wheels , and new brake pads on my bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You quoted Ballsy wrong.

He actually said The Dry was "absolutely amazing".

Of course it is. On every rte radio programme, every presenter, be it Ballsy, Tubs, D'Arcy, whoever, they always think every rte production is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would anyone have any inside information as to how much guests actually get for a fee for appearing on slots like today's?

Curious how much Dr Eva would actually receive for her basically promoting herself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Brendan O’Connor’s radio show paid out €42,487 in guest fees to 663 different people at the rate of around €64 per contributor. (2021)

Is it me or does Ballsy sound even more agitated and annoying than usual this morning.

He seems to be roaring and shouting in that revolting uhmm and ahhh stuff he goes on with and his aim seems to

be to drown out anyone and get on into the calmer waters of a few luvvies after 1200.

Also why the fuhhrke is everyone referring to ‘new’ as ‘noo’..

Doesnt improve my humour I have to admit……😫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Kate O'Connell sounds boozed up a bit here imo

Ballsy has gone back into his comfort zone, now fully relaxed into the safe environments of the luvvies.

Now discussing food with Lise Hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I found it funny that they were asked to not name the TDs involved with the women in Australia despite it being in the paper this morning. And then newstalk named them openly. What are RTE worried about exactly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who knows? Of their own shadows?

On the subject of guests though on this show, it would be interesting if someone started compiling a list of guests asked to review the news. There's a lot of repeat voices in there - Kate O'Connell for one seems to be on at least every month. What's Ballsy's panel - could it be about 25 max?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

A lot of "inverted commas" in this thread.

Jaysus..this one is a barrel of laughs…boring and monotone,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭cozar

the silences after BOC asks a question are excuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I didn’t know who it was at first- it’s Margaret Atwood. God she’s hard work.

I read one of her books - The Handmaid’s Tale. Wouldn’t touch another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

This interview is pretty awkward alright. She has an extremely monotonous kind of voice. All of the delays with Zoom aren’t helping, with them talking over each other and long silences. Eek!

She’s certainly not helping Ballsy in in any way at all..struggle all the way.

Would he ever stop saying ‘listen’ every twenty seconds, I’ll throw him a bit of slack with Attwood but generally…..stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

She was doing a Terry Prone impression in the legalization of drugs conversation this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

To give Atwood a fair crack of the whip she's now 83 and has had a stellar career as a novelist -a dual Booker Prize winner for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Just listened to that, and big fan of this show, but that was hard work and very awkward in places, especially since he had interviewed her before. She wasn't making it easy for him. Fascinating woman though, at age 83. I think a more formal interview format might work better. Her observations on ageing and dementia were very interesting.

Why does Brendan o Connor constantly feel the need to defend the government parties when the issue of homelessness comes up. What a total lick arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

He is not. He is just adding balance to a clearly biased opinion (from that Labour trade unionist with her ‘lived experience’ and ‘lived reality’).

• Advertisement

And another thing… despite his statement at the start of the programme about Gary lineker there is no way Brendan o Connor would ever stick his big ignorant head over the parapet and upset either rte or the government

Advertisement