Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike realities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I wear all the gear... All my clothes are CE AA (at least) with all the armour including back protectors, even in the hottest weather. I've also coloured my headlamp yellow in order to make it more distinguishable when illuminated... I just think the arguement about wearing magical yellow clothing is designed to put the onus back onto bikers rather than making sure drivers actually pay attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

As a longtime biker the fear is encouraging someone in to biking and then they have an accident. No one wants that guilt. I wouldn't count myself as a skillful biker, a lot of my friends are more capable and technical than me, even much safer. But they've been unlucky and been hit and I've been very lucky. I've just cursed myself haven't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Everything helps.

I wear a hi viz all the time on the bike. I can't say for certain that it has saved my life,but it might have.

We can't assume all road users see bikers. No harm in wearing a €30 hi viz vest really, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it to save my life

If you've come off your bike and are unconscious in the middle of the road-anything at all that helps oncoming drivers to see you could save your life.

Can't trust any safety equipment to save you, but every bit helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

The realities I've encountered are 'Expect the unexpected' A drinks crate on the M50, Seen ladders and buckets too, essentially anything in the back of one of those open back vans are a huge warning sign for me.

Did call to report this when it was safe to do so as this type of thing can cause a very messy accident for both cars and bikers

Also be aware of other bikers too, some maniacs out there, on the M50 again. I was doing 109kmh (little above the limit but not excessively so) unlike Dunlop here in his jeans and runners :) Must of been going 250kmh or so...

What camera set up so you have?

Great quality, and I forgot that point about unsteady loads in trailers.

I'm always watching out for them.

One of these, no need for expensive GoPro. These are good enough and I've been running that 4 years but have had about 3 or 4 cards in that time, the constant rewriting of the memory cards makes them die after awhile.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HPXH29Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

Nice one, what do you have it mounted on to? Is that on your helmet or a vest?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well, I've been riding bikes for 36 years and the older I get, the more I realise.............that 'risk' in motorcycling never plateaus. So complacency is when stuff happens. Always assume the other guy is going to do something stupid and.........you'll be right.

My now 19yr old son is now 3+ years on his bike, now an A2, and you just gotta drill it into them : as Sgt Phil Esterhaus says....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

On the Helmet, the camera comes with all types of mounts, you just have to fiddle about with some of the anchor things that come with it and fashion it the best way you can, the 3m sticky is really strong but I maybe overkill the mount a bit, I also have it strapped through and under the lining of the helmet, and bit of wire that will hold the camera on to the lid in the event of my head hitting the ground as the cameras (no matter how strong the mount) will come off if your head does take a smack on the ground.

Also, don't drill or make holes in your helmet like some guy on youtube, think he screwed it in with screws! Great way to destroy the integrity of the helmet. (Not saying anyone would here but you know, some folk do mad things)

Thanks for that. I might look into that. 400 squids is too much for me but that looks very reasonable and decent quality.

I've a flip up helmet so I'll research the connections and see if it's compatible. Are they difficult to mount?

I saw a good video recently where a guy screwed a camera into his helmet and then licked a battery and microwaved his phone. Great craic

That one in the pics is a flip lid too. You'll never really get a complete perfectly flush mount in my experience, have had 3 helmets that all varied in style at the mouth/chin section, some round, oval-shaped, ridged. Just takes a bit of thinking how best to do it, some fit good on the top, some cameras work well at the side if they are the bullet shaped ones.

I tried at the side but felt the side of the helmet dragging a little at motorway speeds so at the front worked best.

Side drag sounds freaky. Never thought of that. I've a schubert so I think that will do the job nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The chances of it happening are the same most likely but the outcomes for the car driver versus the motorcyclist tend to be far less fatal etc..

You can only control what you do, at some point you will end up in a schamozel where another party is at fault. In a car you have a far better chance of a less worse outcome than on a bike.

Serious injuries for motorbike riders were trending upwards up until the COVID years almost every year for the three years previous years.

So yep, luck does come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

Thats it, the chances of it happening are no different from a car. But the severity of the outcome are worse for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I have only started out on the motorbike in 2016. The first day I picked up my "new" to me bike I dropped it in our underground car park in work. Thankfully it was a naked bike and only the indicator housing was broken. I was grand. My mistake was that I misjudged the surface and therefore slipped away.

Once I was out with friends for the whole day. We were saying our goodbye's at the traffic lights and I didn't see the gravel when taking off. Slow speed spill. Pain in my wrist for a week and indicator broken off. This was on a half faired bike but there were crash protectors on it so no real damage.

The last accident I had was when I picked up my "new" to me fully faired bike. It was a nice sunny day and I was driving at slow speed (around 40 kph) through Templeogue village and didn't see an oil spill. Hit the brakes and off I went and the bike. Due to full protective gear I only had a sprained shoulder. The bike's fairing was damaged and indicator broken off.

To be honest with experience I could have avoided the first two incidents easily but I guess you learn from them. One thing I will say though no matter how warm it is make sure you have your full gear on. This protected me in the last accident from serious injuries.

Other then above I had no incidents.

Unfortunately I wasn't on the bike for over a year now as I had a skating accident where I hit the back of my head and I am still recovering. It will probably take a few months until I am fully confident to go back on a bike as my concentration is currently not 100%.

Anyway if you have your head screwed on and don't act the maggot then riding a motorbike is very enjoyable and safe.

My 2 cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

never start your journey if you are in bad form or are running late.

Jaysus...I'd have never gone out on it at all if that was the case!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,058 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Per km travelled motorcycles are safer than bicycles, but that doesn't stop the government demeaning the former and promoting the latter.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

€30??? The one I wear was free with a copy of Bike Buyers Guide 😁

Passing on the left in the same lane, arsehole.

Saved up and bought one with a zip to the front.

Saved me feeling like batman with the Cape trailing behind me on the road

The free one has a zip too

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Not doubting you, but I would love to see the stats for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Irish TuneR

Just on this, i ride but coming out of lidl one day in the car i had this incident. Its a T junction that goes downhill to RHS the way i was going, coming up that hill was a biker on a black bike, with black helmet and black gear on black tarmacadam. Looking down the hill, didn't see him and edged out, looked again and spotted him. I probably spooked him but all ended well. It was a nice sunny day too. So wearing ghostrider gear can hinder/hurt you, F9 has a good video on how are brains are programmed to look for wider vehicles too. Also dont forget that if you come off the bike at night and are lying on the road in the same gear that it wont end well when the next car comes on you.

OT i started biking when 36 5 years ago, loving it. Very much enjoy going for spins and sometimes the way home from work. I generally commute on the bike but its only 12m a day. Fell over/off when stopping on gravel, i was practically stopped but then the gravel got real deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Am on my 20th anniversary of biking in Ireland this year. Used be be my sole mode of transport but it’s mainly recreational now.

Have been in hospital once when a parked car pulled out on me. Follow your instructors guidance and give them plenty of space.

I use more safety gear now than I would have before. Have a Tech Air 5 Airbag and a Richa Flare vest for when I’m out in the dark. Am I being over cautious - most likely. Does it give peace of mind to my family - definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

I’ve nearly fallen asleep on the bike once. Very nearly. Easily enough done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I have to agree that the level of risk is dependent on your driving style and attitude, and parking your ego.

Wear hi viz, take it handy, drive defensively,drive within the abilities of other road users ability to react to something they aren't looking out for. Continue training and learning, do advanced driving courses every now and again to stay refreshed.

Do all that and you will be fine, and you will have many happy miles of biking.

Advertisement