Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The last Album You Listened to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭brokenbad

The album where Genesis left their prog roots behind and began the transition to a fully fledged pop band spearheaded by Phil Collins.

Still sounds fresh 42 years later......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Great choice.

Dodo / Lurker and Keep It Dark are my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Paul Weller - Stanley Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

their first 3 albums are all superb, and the various singles and EPs they released in the same period. For me "Tiger Bay" is the best of the 3, there's no other album like it that mixes electro-pop with folk tunes - I only found out years later that "Like a Motorway" (IMO one of the best songs of the 90s) is based on the old folk tune "Silver Dagger" when I heard Fleet Foxes doing the original at a gig:

Silver Jews - American Water

• Advertisement

Agree - those first three albums are savage. The You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone compilation really great too - a fine listen. And the 1995 Too Young To Die singles compilation is just one banger after another. They're a very collectable band, what with all the fanclub CDs etc. I've Been Trying To Tell You was my favourite album of 2021. Saw them in the Tivoli on the Tiger Bay tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Chemicrazy - That Petrol Emotion.

Hadnt played it for years but it still sounds great - some brilliant songs on it.

Joe Henry - Civilians

Beautiful album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was at that gig too 🙂, I practically lived in the Tivoli for a couple of years.

Yeah I liked the most recent album a lot more than the couple that preceded it, seemed like they were trying to do something different again instead of just mining nostalgia.

Savages - Silence yourself

• Advertisement

Rattus Norvegicus by the Stranglers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This set all morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Pink Floyd : The Piper at the Gates of Dawn [3-CD Deluxe Edition] .... which I picked up in a Charity Shop for €1 ! ... Yes, €1 😮

From Here to Eternity - The Clash

Also Charity shop purchase, though think I was ripped off at €2 🤣

Post edited by bullpost on

🤣 Big window in that shop ... they saw you coming 😉

Nice - there's only one on Discogs and it's €26+

Cost me well over €20 when it came out in 2007

Charity shops here are overpriced compared to UK

I keep reading about people picking up 5 CDs for £1 over there. Whereas €2 seems to the minimum here.

Similarly overpriced vinyl and usually a crappy selection. Anything decent gets hoovered up by the staff or the guys who trawl them every day

Fields of the Nephilim - Dawnrazor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Gang Green - You got it.

Over 33 years since I saw them play McGonagles 😰

I ignored it when it came out because I have an absolute pain in my hoop with Floyd reissues. I have the originals so I don't want reissues with art cards, marbles, replica tickets etc. DSotM must be the most reissued album in the history of music. Latest one I saw (not the 50th Anniversary one) was for a replica Japanese SACD version with reprinted tickets, flyers etc for €200 .... really - ask my balls.

Joan Armatrading - Self titled

Ah yeah I was only joking there.

This was first charity shop I'd been in with a half-decent selection and so was more than happy to buy three CD's for €6.

UK much bigger market so we'll never be as cheap here for this type of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Currently listening to the official downloads of Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band new tour shows in the USA.

The Japanese SACD just announced yesterday is not €200. A lot of people are confusing the price with the 50th Anniversary edition which had its price widget displayed directly underneath the SACD announcement on the Super Deluxe Edition website.

The Japanese SACD is Yen 6,000 which is about €41.85 (see below). It's in 7" packaging - I have the Atom Heart Mother one in that format. Also have Billy Joel 52nd Street and The Stranger plus Carole King's Tapesty Hybrid discs in 7" style packaging. They're lovely. Work out around €40 each from CD Japan. I'll probably order the DSOTM one shortly.

Didn't mind the marbles in the Immersion box. :) The DSOTM Immersion was great; really good set. The other two were so-so.

I really don't think the appetite for reissues or deluxe sets of any type is as strong here as in the UK / US / Europe. I have original copies of many albums but am a big fan of reissues. Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous box set more or less sold out on pre-orders worldwide aside from - ironically - Ireland. I was directing people on a US music forum to Golden Discs to order it. There's still a copy on the shelves of my local shop.

Fair enough ... it was the Super Deluxe Edition website were I saw the price and misunderstood to pricing. I guess I'm just not interested in the reissues as quite often the bonus material is just live stuff from the tour of the album in question. I used to trade live stuff a lot back in the days before Youtube so I've heard most of it and have no real desire to own it officially. I still think I've a load of old FLAC data CD's in my shed full of Floyd bootlegs.

"Now" playing

• Advertisement

Advertisement