Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Fair play, most people ignore stuff to get on with their day. Gardai don't like to be interested if it doesn't directly involve you as a victim I've noticed so hopefully the driver pursues it.

To this day I still remember the time I came off the bike at ~40kph once and landed off to the side at a junction of a housing estate and cars just drove past because I wasn't in their way. Had to crawl off the road and call my mam to come get me. I was more angry than hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

You just know that the OP filtering past him at the lights got his goat up, so was determined to bully their way past immediately.

There was a dash cam video doing the rounds a couple of years ago, where a car was stopped at a junction somewhere in the city centre. Some scrote slowly cycled off the footpath, hit the car and collapsed on the ground. The occupants, who weren't shy themselves, started shouting at him that they had the whole thing on video, whereupon he made a miraculous recovery and walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Do drivers really think like this? I know it's what many cyclists assume, but it always struck me that overtaking like that was down to them not even really registering that there's a bike there. Or if they do, it registers the same way a bollard or a sign post or a traffic cone does, i.e. as long as I can squeeze by without hitting it, it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think those are the 2 main things. There's nasty pr1cks and useless pr1cks. And then plenty of decent drivers.

• Advertisement

Yep there are some who don't think they're doing anything wrong, and there are some who want to put manners on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I think that's a large part of it alright... goes back to why hugging the kerb is a bad habit to start off on, even though for some new/ very casual commuter cyclists it may seem like the safe/ correct option. Bad drivers (in my experience) just take it as the cyclist accepting their inferior status and as an implied invitation to squeeze past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Agree completely.

That driver was annoyed you came up the inside and "got in his way". Made sure to give you an extra squeeze with the trailer as he passed. Very few people towing trailers about the place are poor at observation (with the exception of many horsebox towers).

And yep hugging the kerb also allows bad drivers to think they'll "fit" past you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had an N driver overtake me on a T junction just as I was turning right. Thankfully the road was wide enough I had loads of room to move out of the way but overtaking another vehicle midturn in the same lane. he had to cut the corner and then struggled to correct himself that he nearly hit the island in the middle of the road. In purely childish mannerisms, I called him a wanker as I rolled past, I imagine he was confused as to why but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭kirving

I think you missed the memo - this is the internet, there is absolutely no room for nuance. And remember too, you're posting on forum where camera footage is being posted - there is no such this as shared responsibility. Blame falls 100:0% at all times.

As a general point, very many cyclists unknowingly put themselves in positions where their safety relies on the car driver seeing them and not making a move. By that I mean things like pacing a car in its blindspot in city traffic, or squeezing between two busses and being completely dismayed when they have a close call. But what's more interesting to me is posters here admitting they do it on purpose to prove a point. To suggest that some cyclists (and drivers) do that from time to time would normally end up in a huge pile on to anyone who dared suggest anything of the sort.

I do it myself if I'm honest, some totally lackadaisical or agressive drivers do need to be woken up by a shout and a slap on the bootlid the very odd time - but I know when doing so, that the blame for any escalated outcome is partly on me. I'm not suggesting that the Nutgrove Avenue video was this at all btw, more a case of poor driving, poor timing, and the driver coming to an almost complete stop being reasonably confused with allowing the cyclist to proceed.

In fact a very similar near miss yesterday prompted me to open this thread in the first place.

Coming toward the canal at 1pm, flashing lights on me as normal, in cycle lane, going straight. 2 cars in the lane to turn left, middle lane backed up to after the bus lane ends.

1. BMW dips into the bus lane early, I assumed to skip traffic going ahead.
    2. Leaves their indicator on, I thought by mistake.
    3. Left arrow goes green, first two cars turn left ahead with plenty of room.
    4. I assumed BMW driver should have seen me since they had just passed me, so carried on but covered the brake. Looking back I think I was in their blindspot. Covering the brake was my cue to back out of it tbh.
    5. They turn left, I braked hard and just about avoid hitting them and let out a shout.
    6. They go wide (actually better than stopping dead) and then stop to apologise.
    7. I went up to the window fairly annoyed and had a go about using mirrors. No language or anything, but unnecessary looking back.

Overall a learning experience for both of us. I assumed too much and put myself in a position where I was relying on their judgment - I'm always around there and should have seen it a mile off, but pushed ahead because I had a bit of momentum I didn't want to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Luckily its been awhile but I just had to post two useless must get in fronts driver I had in one day. Was able to eyeball the Jones Engineering driver for another 30 sec after the clip till I turned away to work.

The line of traffic was visible from a long way back. No reason to this

*Edited with better links

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I don't know if this counts as a near miss as it involved pedestrians, but I'd like a second opinion. I'm not sure if I was in the right or wrong!

I was cycling along the canal greenway and was at a section only wide enough for two people. There was a couple walking ahead two abreast and facing away from me. So instead of ringing the bell resulting in the inevitable scurry of them not knowing which way to move, I decided to cycle on the inside of them along the grass.

As I passed by, the guy started shouting abuse at me! I stopped and asked him what was wrong and he started to tell me to watch where I was going, that I nearly hit him and that I should respect people walking along the canal.

I thought I was doing the "right" thing by not ringing a bell or shouting at them to move as there wasn't a real need. And to be honest I thought you weren't supposed to walk two abreast when there's only room for two people as there's no room for passing.

I imagine he got a bit of a fright when he wasn't expecting a bike to pass him by and that's why he reacted that way.

What do you think? Was I in the wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Did similar myself outside doing the school drop off this morning.

Gave the mother and daughter a cheery "Hello" as they took up the whole bike path to create 4 abreast across the path and bike path.

Scooted around the grass. Sure what harm.

Some people just want to be upset....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Unless you were going by at speed I don't see the issue. I'd have no issue with ringing a bell though, and a friendly "on your left/ right" or a greeting as you pass can help too. Some people are just cranks who don't like cyclists though. Brother had a couple walking with their dog on a lead across the cycle path give out to him for cycling towards them the other week - apparently "he's a big boy now" and should have been on the road. This despite the fact that the road in question is a one-way lane and he was traveling against the flow of car traffic in a two-way/ two lane cycle path. You can only count to ten, shrug your shoulders and move on when you come across people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Assuming you weren't flying past them I don't see the issue. I've done it myself a few times on shared pedestrian/bike paths when they're ignorant to their surroundings. I slow right down as I'm on a road bike.

Maybe I was going a tad too fast and that's what spooked them. I don't normally go at speed, but there was a wind behind me and I seemed to be sailing along. I'll take it slower next time!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Buy more expensive wheels with a load freehub and coast up behind them so that a) they hear you and b) they know you are more important than them. Should sort out future encounters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm on the Greenway regularly in the bike.

Sometimes people get a fright when you "suddenly appear". I just usually give a loud "Morning/afternoon/evening folks, and when I have their attention, just say on your left/right.

I slow way down, though, because I've realised that pedestrians perception of speed can be very different than a cyclist's perception (rightly or wrongly)

About a year ago I was on a very quiet country road, with no traffic. A lady in her 60's was walking ahead of me, in the middle of the road. I called out a few times, but she had headphones in. So eventually I went past very slowly. She jumped like I buzzed past her at 30km an hour. I'm pretty sure she went home and told her husband about the cyclist that almost killed her🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Just use the bell. They are intended for exactly these scenarios.

I happened to be on my bike which does not (yet) have a bell. I always ring it on my hybrid.

Is there a bell you can get that you can put beside the gear shifters on a road bike? Part of the reason I don't have one on that bike is because the only ones I can find you have to position on the horizontal bar. I'd have to take my hand off the brakes to ring it, which isn't the most ideal or safest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

When I come to stopped traffic, I don't try and get to the top. I wait like everyone else in the queue until the traffic starts moving, and nobody has ever tried to squeeze by me. Perhaps drivers do think like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Trigger bell, basically a bell with a cable tie like attachment so you can stick it around the shifter hood

Excellent, thank you. All about getting the right wording to search for on Google!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Thoughts on this pass from this morning, please?

Front view:

Rear view:

I thought it was particularly bad but I know the people in the red car that came around the bend towards us, and I asked them about it this evening. They didn't even recall having noticed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my first thought (and this is not blaming you, but i know it might come across that way) is that you should have been further out. dick move by the driver though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Crap overtake. They had to break to get back on their side before the oncoming car. Wasn't enough space and they were too close. Shows the standard of driving if people don't remember that incident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Thanks both. This is part of a 1km stretch which has 5 blind bends, with 4 reasonably straight stretches between them, but which has a solid white line the whole way. I know that nobody is going to stay behind me for the whole 1km so I normally move towards the centre approaching the bends and move back into the side on the straights. It's mostly the same drivers every day, some are my neighbours and some are rat-runners. I like to think I'm training them to wait for the straights to overtake me (and others).😉

Yesterday morning I was further in than I would normally be at that point. Maybe because I didn't want to start moving out as the van was passing and I could then see the oncoming car and didn't expect the Ford would try to overtake.

I guess what I'm asking is what people's thoughts are on the likely outcome if I report this one to Traffic Watch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I guess what I'm asking is what people's thoughts are on the likely outcome if I report this one to Traffic Watch?

If you report it to TW and then go down to your station to make a statement, any potential charge (for whatever offence) against the driver will be at the whim of the Inspector.

I've had some successful follow ups but, more often than not, i hear absolutely nothing back from AGS to the point that I feel I wasted my time and now I generally won't waste my time going down to the station.

Advertisement