Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x01- 'The Next Generation' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Like I know the kid is patently Picards, but I was thinking

what if she went a bit nuts and cloned Jack Crusher? They lingered a bit on his luggage at the start, and it would make it a bit more sense that she cut off absolutely everyone, not just Picard. A one night stand with an old friend and an accidental pregnancy doesn't really explain that too well. But if she found some way to clone or replicate her former husband, pretty much all of her friends would say that's a bit mental. Might also explain why they're on the run so much, maybe either the tech is highly valuable, or she knocked off some black market guys for equipment

Just a bit of speculation I was thinking about yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

I liked how Mike and Rich had to constantly remind each other that season two got off to a good start too.

There's a lot of referenced to DNA in the closing credits but I'd like to think Picard would recognise his one-time best friend. Could be Jack's son via DNA sampling.

Probably right, though I'm sure there's at least two episodes of TNG where Picard was tricked with a potential son, and there was Nemesis, where he didn't recognise himself (who had a different look in Tapestry). All I'm saying, the man has form for poor recognition!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Probably right, though I'm sure there's at least two episodes of TNG where Picard was tricked with a potential son,

There was one alright I do not think there was two.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

You're right actually, I was thinking about the episode where a human orphan was adopted by a mlitaristic race and they connected, and then was the fake son episode

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

Ferengi Bok altered the DNA of Jason Vigo to make it seem he was the son of Picard.

The other episode been discussed is: -

Spoiler for the alien ship at the end of episode: -

It is Called 'The Shrike' not to be confused with 'Shrike Class'.

More spoilers in this link: -

Picard’s New Villain Ship Continues A Scary Star Trek Trend

It has been compared to the https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Narada

Post edited by corkie on

Spot on, cheers! I was trawling through Netflix trying to find the titles!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

I've rewatched the trailer and can't see any scale comparison to the titan. It looks big compared to Beverly's ship but that's only about 3/4 times the size of the Titans shuttle, unless of course size and scale are to be ignored which wouldn't at all surprise me susch as the previous post about the time it takes to get to the edge of fed space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Enjoyed it overall , much better start to this season. I too find the "blaster" style of phasers something that inordinately annoys me. It feels like something from Star Wars or the Mass Effect videogames. The "beam" style design of the old phasers always seemed to me to be part of Trek's aesthetic - it helped set it apart from other sci-fi. The modern era "pew pew" phasers come across to me as feeling very generic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Best of Picard so far, writers taking the heavy criticism of season 1 about Patricks age and clearly not being able to do anything, it very much had Frakes style of movie writing with the jokes. There are huge issues but so far, the best episode of the show ever.

Sadly the issues such as the giant stargate ring / teleporter and Raffi will be along shortly to ruin it.

My theory is that the hunting from these randomers if the same reason we seen Wheaton in the last season. They think that Crushers DNA maybe useful in helping become one of those ascended folk (doesn't make sense but anyhow, nothing like DNA for a weak sci fi plot device). So they are hunting the son to use him. Why Will wouldn't be a loving son and jump in, maybe explained by his duty is more important speech but it still is a fairly big plot hole.

Also the captain everyone is calling a d1ck clearly is an alcoholic, its like they read a health website on signs of alcoholism and ham fisted them in there. Most likely due to stress and the Borg later on but jesus, how could anyone who got to first officer rank not have seen it and got him either cleaned up or cleared out.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭eadrom

Watched this again and enjoyed it again, maybe more, the second time. Still reserving judgement though; I was pretty pleased with the first episode of the last two seasons too.

This time I skipped past Rafi's scenes. Poor writing, poorly delivered, and I've just got no time for the strung-out on space-drugs bit to be honest. Or covert Starfleet intelligence / Section 31 stuff. Or terrorist attacks. At least those scenes are self-contained for the time being.

Good stuff apart from that though. The chemistry between Riker and Picard was solid and much more familiar than the "calling in on an old friend" / pizza-chef bit from previous seasons.

Oh, but turn on the damn lights! Please. For gods sake. Who could work in those conditions?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I had a couple of belly laughs at some of the back and forth between Picard and Riker. So I did enjoy it. Here's hoping it doesn't fade into a mess, like S2 particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It can't be as bad a season 2. Nothing can be as bad as having loads of actors playing different parts, a dead Q, seal team Borg, Borg are only bad because the queen is lonely, pointless Guinan cameo, mammy issues Picard nonsense.

It's such a low mark for the franchise it will be hard to ever beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well we still have to be introduced to shoehorned in Lore, Professor Moriarty and Evil Perry from "Kevin and Perry". And the trailer didn't even mention the Borgati alliance forged at the end of Season 2 and the great existential threat to the universe that prompted the alliance. The critics only reviewed the first 6 episodes and even some of the most positive reviews mentioned there was signs that there was too much being crammed in to be properly resolved by the end of episode 6 which is more or less how the first two seasons went wrong.

With regards Lore I wonder if that's a slight misdirect. It is Lore, don't get me wrong, but we know that B4 was on Earth and his positronic net was used. The Trekculture on this episode went through the easter eggs, and in the end credits the pointed out that the musical notation is pop goes the weasel. Which was how we were introduced to Data and I think it was used in Nemesis to show that some of Data had been transferred to B4. So what if the programming Data transferred to B4, which was shown to have at least been partially present, was transferred into Lore making this Lore an amalgamation of Data and B4's memories and personalities on top of his own? A hybrid B-Lore if you will!

If it is Lore how'd he get the Juliana Tainer upgrade?

Fair point, but wouldn't be in the top ten of nonsense we've had to just accept so far from Picard and Discovery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

I've seen a few videos from YouTubers who had many of the same complaints about the first 2 seasons that have been aired here. I think they have seen 6 episodes and while by no means perfect they have given unilateral praise for the return to trek form with good writing so I'm very hopeful.

Lore could turn out to be bigger on the inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't think he needs it. Data mentioned in that episode that he also had an ageing program but it was one of those things that was forgotten about after.

Advertisement