Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Nicola Bulley, Lancashire UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Deeec

I no its the most likely scenario - but Im just pointing out nothing has been confirmed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This wouldn't be the first time that a body in the water has taken weeks/months/if ever to be found.

I said it earlier in the thread but theres a Youtube Channel "Adventures with Purpose" who have found humans inside of their vehicle long after the official searches have completed and often within a few miles of where the person was last seen. These are large items to find, and more often than not they have been missed. You just need to watch a few stories on this channel to appreciate how difficult these things can be.

There was a story again earlier also about two people ending up in the river Fergus and each being found about 60Miles apart a few weeks later.

It is the nature of water - a very dangerous and indeed necessary substance to/for humans.

The amount of conspiracy theories and down right nonsense that has taken place on social media etc with very little information to back it up has been worrying. It is a pity the police HAD to outline exactly what basis they were basing their theories on as they did.

Assuming she has been found this has been a very sad case for the family and all involved but at least they can have some form of closure. We may never actually know the specifics of why or how she ended up in the water - and unfortunately this is often the case in situations such as this.

May she RIP and her family find some solace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Pretty sure he always maintained she could be in reeds as the sonar doesn't go into reeds.

He also always maintained she wasn't in the part that the sonar had checked.

Once I heard he'd recently released a book it was obvious he entered this for publicity.

But he's also been constantly accused of saying things that he didn't say. But he's brought on that scrutiny himself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

He never said she couldn't be in the water.

He stated she wasn't in the section the sonar had checked.

He stated the sonar can't go into reeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On the 7th February he said:

Mr Faulding said: "Bodies can get lodged in reeds and show up months later, the sonar won't go into the reeds."

So he is basing his statements on the assumption that the police divers and search would have covered the reeds.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/nicola-bulley-search-expert-fears-26174137

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Those public safety concerns wouldn't have stopped the internet sleuths though?

Her family coming out saying she's a strong swimmer and their gut instinct she's not in the river would have ramped up the speculation anyways.

There could be no public safety concerns because there was absolutely 0 evidence anything untoward happened her!

She could have been in the perfect mental health and still the most likely thing that happened was she ended up in the river. She may not even have committed suicide, she may have fallen in the river by accident.

The private diver had nothing to do with the police. He offered his services to the family and they accepted.

Do you have a source on that? That she entered the river where she was found?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

He seemed to be working off the theory that she didn't enter the water .He was saying the fone could be a decoy

Conducted a limited search and drew a conclusion that she wasn't in there

He's pissed now that he didn't have the police info.

He just talked too much and backed himself into a corner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, he stated the sonar can't go into reeds after her body was found in the reeds. Not a mention of them to my recollection all the time he was doing multiple media interviews and claiming she wasn't in the river - before, during and after his search. It's only now he's saying that he said all along that she could be in the reeds, but If you have a source where he said she could be in the reeds from before she was found, I'd be glad to be corrected.

As for what he stated, it's blatantly clear and there on the record. Here's just one of the many interviews where he said the same thing, repeatedly and definitively:

The diver said: "We have the best piece of equipment you can buy. If I can't find them, it means they're not there." Mr Faulding added: "That's how confident I am. It's the same for buried human remains, if someone's in the woods I will find them. The the area where Nicola went in was searched thoroughly by very professional police divers on the day - very thoroughly - and she was not there, which leads me to believe that she is not in that river.

"But we got involved 10 days after them. We re-searched that area with up and down streams extremely thoroughly, with high-frequency side scan sonar." He added: "If Nicola had been in the river she would've floated up by now. She's not in the river."

Of course now that he's been proved wrong, he's rowing back. But let's not have our intelligence insulted with crude mental gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He mentioned the reeds on February 7th. Mentioned above.

Mr Faulding said: "Bodies can get lodged in reeds and show up months later, the sonar won't go into the reeds."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Xander10

"Lancashire constabulary said they had received a call at 11.36am on Sunday about a body in the River Wyre, close to Rawcliffe Road, within a mile of where Bulley was last seen."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The police handled the PR part of their job poorly. They left a vacuum which will always be filled. Whether that's on the Internet or by local town gossip pre Internet.

Her vulnerability should have been stated as soon as they ruled out foul play which was very early on.

Fair enough, he mentioned reeds once.

And then in the same interview went on to double down on his instance that he was ruling out the river (and that he thought that there was 3rd party involvement, which is speculation completely unbecoming of a search and rescue volunteer).

On balance, he said much, much more about her not being in the river at all than he did about the possibility that she might be in some reeds that he couldn't search.

It's like the publicity went to his head and he got completely carried away. If he had stuck to the bare facts, that he was only searching the river bed of a particular stretch, no-one would have thought any worse of him. But he constantly made statements that went much, much further than that, and he's been caught out now.

Ya if he'd just done the search and said he didn't find her stating the limitations of the search

Seemed like he just wanted to be the top dawg on the search

The vacuum would have been filled anyways.

When police did say she was a vulnerable person, I saw posts on reddit with a discussion titled "is a person with mental health troubles less likely to be the victim of attacks?".

Just think of Tina Satchwell case, nothing the police say would stop people speculating what happened.

He came to the conclusion she wasn't in the river and said "I personally think this phone could be a decoy" before he even did the search. This article is from Feb 5th. He didn't join the search until Feb 6th.

• Body confirmed to be Nicola Bulley RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Prayers for her family...

• It’s ironic that the major news outlets discussing the police announcement are under massive criticism by Nicola’s family.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭sugarman20

Not seeing too many apologies for the husband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Stranger Things

Fair play to family. Called out media brilliantly. Scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 82,456 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The poor woman and her family. I'm sorry they've had to read reams about this based on misinformation and sensationalism. Rest in Peace.

• Sadly the circus is likely to go in. One of the two people to first observed Nicola’s remains in the water is identified by a rag a psychic/spiritualist, and the man identified by reverse image search does indeed confirm himself to be be that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mykrodot

unfortunately her own family were at odds with the Police, her partner himself saying he was 100% sure Nicola WASN'T in the river! https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/10/nicola-bulley-partner-convinced-not-in-river-paul-ansell

I feel sorry for the Police in this, they are always best left to get on with their operations, there was way too much interference, people were even digging up fields (!) Police deserve an apology!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

But there would have been no vacuum if they'd added the vulnerability part to their update from the outset.

Then when her family/freinds were being interviewed by news outlets there wouldn't have been any ambiguity. Instead people watched those interviews under the impression this could only be an accident or foul play and started filling in their own gaps.

The truth was there was a much more plausible 3rd option.

Look hindsight is 20/20, the police obviously thought they were doing right by Nicola by holding that info back but it backfired on them. I doubt they'll do that in any future missing person cases.

"Nicola Bulley cops set to hold press conference today: Detectives behind bungled response to missing mother face more questions - as her family suffer agonising wait for ID of body "

Tabloids always win cos they can print whatever they like within reason

Seemed like police were mostly doing their job albeit they didn't find her.Not sure what that release of personal info was about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mykrodot

as I said her own family fuelled these flames her partner saying he was 100% sure Nicola was NOT in the river. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/10/nicola-bulley-partner-convinced-not-in-river-paul-ansell

Cue the whole country checking out garden sheds, digging up fields! It was crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It was a "personal tragedy".

The police in conjunction with the family released the personal information because the sun and daily mail were going to run with a story on a similar angle.

So the choice was gutter second rate "journalists" using money to buy stories and then sensationalise it for their own gain, or give all the information before they do.

And that's why the daily mail and sun attacked the superintendent for wearing a dress - she killed their scoop stone dead

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The sun and daily mail were about to run stories. That's why the personal information was let out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,229 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP , I feel for her kids

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement