Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My landlord is threatening to evict me because of rent arrears, what should I do. Advice seeking!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah your landlord took a chance on a pair of teenagers who were probably straight from school working minimum wage jobs.

You ended up with your electricity cut off and going to mabs to get money for it to be reconnected.......do you see where I'm going with this?

Majority of landlords would prefer not to have this type of tenant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• yes, that was a bad time in my life I was quite sick and couldn’t work. This was many years after I rented this house.

Also a complete aside and rather unnecessary dig at me imo.

• The ESB of course! I wouldn’t expect MABs would give anyone money personally.

You said you were glad you didn't have to deal with me as a landlord.

I was replying with the facts as provided by you in this thread,not a personal dig, as to why renting to teenagers would be a risk.

No job I worked as a teenager paid sick leave. My job after college paid 6 months sick leave.

You also have the risk of the house turning into a "party" house.

These are the type of considerations you have to look at when renting a property....it's not all about "feels" and good "vibes" .

It's a business....a very risky business.

• As I said already

The financial issue I experienced was many, many years after I left that house & I was not a teenager. It was in 2018 about 5 years ago. the aforementioned property would have been maybe 12 or so years previously.

Yes I am well aware of what considerations have to be factored in but this is separate entirely from the point I’m making which (once again) is that not all LL’s require a reference and are in some cases willing to work with potential tenants when this isn’t possible for one reason or another.

As with all business endeavours there’s risk management involved and some are more willing than others to engage in those risks.

The claim earlier was the OP is a fabrication because all landlords require references I am simply pointing out how that’s just not true. It was also claimed if the LL didn’t require a reference their a cowboy, also completely untrue.

So other than talking about me personally some more is there anything else you’d like to add regarding the claim all LL’s who are tax compliant require references or are we going to move on from that now we’ve established it’s untrue?

The part of your comment I feel was a bit of a dig at me was trying the “gotcha!” when pointing out I admitted I had financial difficulties in the past when I became quite sick and needed to go to hospital as proof of your assertion not taking a reference or renting to a young person is an immediate problem.

Also age doesn’t seem to bare relevance to sick pay, none of my recent employers (or my current) have sick pay. I don’t know if it’s standard practice in the hotel & restaurant industry but I’ve never worked for anyone who offered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I would say the advisor who helped you kindly took it from their own wallet. But there was no policy on it and no practice of it, if anything there was a No Cash policy. I worked with MABS from 2015 to 2021 and it never happened in the offices I worked in (Dublin, Meath, Louth). There had been, in the past, security issues, people turning up looking for cash, hanging around the doors at closing time on dark Winter evenings.

MABS offices can be very small and sparsely staffed and often there were only 2 of us, one of whom could be in a meeting. We referred people to Community Welfare Officers and that was the only line of help for cash handouts. I also worked for Citizens Information and it was the same there. It was for the safety of staff. We regularly had drug user and alcoholics who dropped in looking for cash, maybe years ago their parents had been given cash, but we had signs up everywhere saying "no cash" as the safety of staff was paramount.

These days with accountability and best practice procedures in the workplace, cash is never seen. It would be an issue at Audits too. I was both a Money Advisor and Administrator and there was definitely no accounts with spare cash for handouts. It could have been in the past ,but its all Community Welfare Office responsibility now and this is primarily down to accountability for staff.

• As I said earlier but definitely should have made clear all the same originally they didn’t give me anything. The paid with a debit card over the phone to EI at the time.

I wasn’t trying to say MABs give people cash handouts at all! I suspect some branches may operate an account for these reasons cos EI just wouldn’t budge without some money.

Either way it was greatly appreciated and as I said I made sure to give back the money as soon as I was able. If it came from their own account I’m doubly glad I gave it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So basically, because you were able to rent a place with minimal checks in 2006, this is the same as somebody trying to rent in 2023?

I can think of a few differences between then and now that might have changed how landlords handle these things. A few major differences.

• Advertisement

Which doesn't change anything, the rental market in 2011 was a completely different animal to what exists today. I know that first hand.

• That’s nice.

There’s still LL’s who will accept tenants without previously having rented a property. That’s just the matter of fact I’m not sure why you are trying to argue this?

Like do you think my only rental experience has been a property from 2011 or something?

I moved in 2020 also and we didn’t need any reference then. I offered them and they were not interested in seeing any they felt happy enough we wouldn’t cause any hassle (maybe cos we had kids idk).

Anyway, complete aside. Point is to say all LL’s require a reference lest they be cowboys is just not true.

Ok so you're talking about your experience of the rental sector from over a decade ago.

I'm talking about rental sector in today's market!

I think it would be very hard to find a landlord willing to overlook no references. Those that do are opening themselves up to a massive risk especially when evictions take so long.

With demand so much greater than supply why would they just take someone at face value?

Considering some insurance policies won't cover if house rented to students , renting to teenagers is another massive risk , if they do need to make a claim will the insurance company be abit pedantic on this issue....likely to be an unwelcome headache to landlord so again they'll probably stay clear of this age demographic.

It's all about mitigating the risk.

If you want to rent out a 200-400k asset to someone based on "vibes" knock yourself out.

Sure you did buddy, how convenient. Strange how you didn't use that more recent anecdote to begin with rather than the 2006/2011 era story.

Whats next, banks don't "always" check your credit history?

• I’m not a landlord personally, maybe one day I guess, who knows, but if I ever did I’d certainly like to think I’d be more than willing to at least give a person (or persons) a fair shake when considering them as tenants.

If they couldn’t provide me previous landlord references for say some ambiguous or strange reason that felt like BS naturally your risk assessment would raise red flags more than if they had never rented a place before. Then it’s understandable.

Of course you’d expect in that case they could provide some work references. That said I recall a thread very recently I saw where someone as part of taking up a job in the Public sector needed a work reference from a manager or supervisor but was unable to provide such a thing because company policy stated only HR would write one & only upon rendering your resignation.

If the same was true for employees seeking a work reference then they’re SOL there too through no fault of their own. Same as not having rented a place before.

So as for would I rent a house to someone who could not give me references? It depends. If I felt the reasons why they didn’t have references wasn’t complete rubbish and they seemed like a decent person/people I would consider them I’m sure. That’s not to say I’d give them the house over someone with references but I’m saying I wouldn’t rule it out.

• Advertisement

• yeah I don’t really care one way or the other if a stranger on the internet believes me.

I never said I rented a house in 2006. It would have been impossible in fact.

Also, I recalled specifically that as it was my first experience and I was making a point that people who rent their first house cannot provide a previous reference so what then?

The whole thing has been morphed way off the original point which was simply that LL’s do rent without having a reference. Especially when it’s a first time renter.

You did say that. That you later decided to change the details doesn't change what you originally said.

This entire derail is because you want to die on the hill of claiming that in 2023 landlords don't necessarily check references, as if it ever had any relevance to the OP and the situation outlined there.

• I’ve skin in the game, I’m a landlord of one property, have excellent long term tenants who have never been late with a payment over 17 years. Quite frankly if ever they move out I’d very likely sell up. However if I were taking on new tenants I’d be selective. If I were ever to consider taking in first time tenants I’d certainly want a couple months rent as deposit as well as the usual evidence of the ability to keep paying rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

MABS don’t have any money for customers. Why did you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Im not sure what you think happened but you didn’t get any money from MABS. They may have negotiated some funds for you from an organisation like the St. Vincent de Paul but I’m involved for 19 years and there simply isn’t any access to cash.

It’s possible you were so stressed at the time that you thought it was MABS. But it wasn’t.

• Advertisement

• I can remember quite clearly thanks. It was MABs (there’s only one locally anyway) we had gone through the budget sheet the advisor then rang EI to speak on my behalf to them and at one point produced a debit or credit card and made a payment of €50.

My brother in law was with me at the time also so it wasn’t just myself. I can check with him if you’d like? But I really don’t appreciate that you think I confused SVP or CWO with MABs.

Advertisement