Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

I'm guessing the answer is an obvious "yes", but just in case the dealer suggests "no" I wanted to check:

Would a computer error 284C00 "Exhaust gas temperature sensor 6 Too large stack diff to compute value" likely be related to the recalled EGR cooler?

Have a car giving that error now which was inspected after the EGR cooler recall last year. At the time our local dealer's service report was that the EGR cooler was found to be in perfect working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭allen175

It don't think it is involved in the recall.

I have error 260100 Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor After EGR Cooler Signal: interruption or short to positive. The error was present before and after the EGR was replaced under the recall the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I am UK based with a 2014 5 Series 520d (I have the later B47 engine so all new shape G30, have the same).

My original recall was carried out approx. 3 years ago and the ERG cooler was replaced at the local main dealer. It now looks like there is a second recall regarding a software update (DDE control unit) to monitor the ERG for excess soot deposits and all UK owners have been informed via a letter to the owners. Why this wasn't carried out when the car was in the last time is beyond me. I suspect BMWs in Ireland involved in the original recall will have another trip to the main dealers in due course.

The new recall is also now logged on the UK MOT check website and the BMW service portal for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Whocare

Misread

As it happens when our 5-series was in the dealership to check out the error message, the dealership told us that yes a new EGR cooler recall via software update is now being done. They did the update for us. Drivers may get a message on their car screen about it, or could probably call their dealer to arrange for the software update.

As an aside it turns the issue I mentioned in my post above was with a sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Just for information my recall letter specifically says "Replacing the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler." rather than the above dde control unit letter

Same here got seconds letter saying contact your local BMW dealer to book it in replacement egr

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mk7r

There is another revised egr cooler that has been released

It's a shame they wasn't so proactive about timing chains problems

They were not a safety risk, they have no choice with these

• Advertisement

Depends on how you look at it . wouldn't want to be on UK motorway with no hard shoulder and chain go . same could be say about m50 some other roads . Definitely should have been classed as safety risk

Im not saying there isn't some risk in your chain snapping but there are pretty specific rules about safety related items manufacturers have to follow and the timing chain didn't fit that category, its more for airbag issues, direct fire risk etc

How long was the gap between the 2 letters? My letter dated Nov 7th just mentions the software update.

My seconds letter is dated 4 November. My letter it saying it needs replacement and take 4 Hours. My car is 320d 2013 maybe if 520d it just a software update 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Wife just got her letter, 2015 218d, specifc call out to replace egr cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is this a new Recall or the same one from a few years ago just updated the models?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭allen175

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eroche24

Hi,

I just had BMW in Dublin ring me last week to say there was a recall on the my 2016 520d. The guy over the phone didn't give me much information as to what the recall was for, he said it was a just a software update. I also didn't receive a letter stating what the recall was about either. Surely this would get sent out to the registered owner🤨.

They collected the car last Friday and are dropping it back tomorrow. If I enter my VIN number on that website does it supply you with all this information?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭nomoedoe

I got a letter about replacing the EGR cooler last year even tho it was replaced in 2019 this is a new one according to the letter.,my engine light has come on and its losing power but my local BMW garage cant take a look at it for another 6 weeks at least, anybody else been in this situation?

Yes in same boat this is new replacement for one replacement few years ago.

But for engine light might have nothing to do with egr .I was get some garage to plug it in and check code if I was you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Had similar issue. EGR valve was stuck closed so was down on power.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

Hi guys,

have a G30, the car runs fine without any lights on dash, just sometimes after a longer drive may show up the drivetrain⚠️ and 3 faults showing up on my diagnostic: egr valve closed too loosely, open too wide & air mass too low, all egr related and car may shake on high speed! After stopping/starting the engine - all clear!

Did check the vin in the recall website, nothing there!

Just wondering if these are cars affected aswell and may be covered by the recall eben though i haven't received any letters or something about?

It's an uk import have it for a year & 100k miles.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭madonna123

I have 2014 320d , never an ounce of trouble , bought it in 2019

I had EGR recall work done on Thursday in BMW Naas , collected car Friday morning.

Saturday the car sh*t itself , wouldn’t start , then smoke came from under bonnet, really weird smell like wires burning.

Warning lights up everywhere saying battery power disconnected etc ..

Had to get it towed home .

Whats the hope of BMW taking responsibility? My lovely car is now a smouldering mess

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What did the tow truck guy reckon might have caused it?

He didn’t look under the bonnet ,

I just called my insurance, they sent the tow truck . I got a lift home.

I had my 1 year old with me so had to get her home.

The only warning light I ever had up to this point was a bulb out.

Previous services with BMW direct , the cars been in that same garage for service 3 times before, they never gave me info on any issue with engine.

Went through NCT without a single issue

I'd get the car diagnosed by a local mechanic (ensuring that nothing is altered). If it turns out to be related to the recall work, then get in touch with BMW.

I’m just going to go straight back to BMW , via their customer care

I haven’t time to go around to mechanics etc

the car is totally dead so that’s tow trucks etc

I’ll update on outcome

update On breakdown after EGR recall

I called BMW Ireland and they arranged tow truck to the garage that did the recall

The garage have said the starter motor is gone.

They said they noticed the issue when doing the recall but never said anything to me .

I’m putting it out there to anyone in the know.

would the starter go that quickly?

I brought the car in on a Thursday collected Friday morning and the starter went completely Saturday.

never an issue before, could it be a fault due to recall?

is it normal for a starter to go on 2014 320D BMW, diesel, manual with push button start ?

• Advertisement

is it normal for a starter to go on 2014 320D BMW, diesel, manual with push button start ?

Whilst it could happen, I can't remember when I last heard of a starter motor to fail in any car

Advertisement