Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Since the first new EV was registered in 2009 there has been 1,430,134 new cars sold of which 34,971 are BEV or 2.45%.

Not counting hybrid or plugins.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Indeed that does happen, but at least this way it gets limited to a single easily avoided thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Maybe just put a note on the thread saying no stories about Skodas that run on sprinkles and fairy dust

or made up stories about neighbourhood swapping from electric to PHEV 🤦‍♂️

I have owned electrics for years, sorry I normally dodge these threads but had expected in 2023 we had gone past this bullshit

Just buy whichever fuel suits your requirements, simple as that…if people want to buy diesel Skodas and slowly die of boredom that’s their decision but it sure why they need to shout about it 🤣

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If we did that then the those same anecdotes would pop up all other the place. There's some truly daft beliefs out there about EVs. This way people can have their little vent and the noble posters of the sub forum can help correct their view points. There's a similar thread for the environmental misconceptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Maybe also ban the Prius owner who gets 1000mph and rainbows shoot out of the exhaust 😂

Just to slightly refute the Tesla claim, in my section of my estate of a bit over 200 houses there's definitely 3-4 Teslas.

I've noticed some of them seem to move between a couple of houses, so I wonder if it's a case that a relative owns the Tesla but doesn't have a driveway so they got the charger installed at a different house and charge once or twice a week 🤔

It'd be less than a 10 mins walk and a handy enough solution for anyone who can't get a home charger

Anyway, overall in the estate of probably 1500 houses (there's a bunch of different of phases built over the last 20 years) there's a lot of EVs. I haven't done a count in a while but I'd say it's around 5% of the cars in the area

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

So people just plug into random houses for a charge

Must be a new plug-share facility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭innrain

As it happens I drove today a Skoda PHEV for about 200 km and the trip computer reports 6.7l/100km and -0.3kWh/100km. Fairy dust indeed

I think this thread should still be here as the false claims will be debunked and the actual issues will be discussed. Overall being unhappy about you choice is the recognition of some mistake. We learn from mistakes and we're heppy if they are not our mistakes. I met a guy who handed back an EQS350 because for him it was too much hassle to charge it. I know it sounds unbelievable but I got his story confirmed by his accountant. I'd be happy just owning an EQS and I'd bring electrons in a bucket to charge it but stories are different for each of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I appreciate you adding some context to your post. Here's the thing. Statistically speaking, the probability of there being some housing estates with higher numbers of EVs and Model 3s in particular is in the likely range. The type of estate matters, so richer areas will have a higher percentage of EVs in general. So, I don't disbelieve your claim, but you have built up credibility in time and posts here.

That said, when the claim is made on top of half of Model 3 owners in an estate moving to hybrids is just nonsense. Not impossible, but not credible from where it came. It's like a bad liar. One fib is never enough...the liar compounds with an extra couple of fibs for effect.

I would say my overall estate name of around 800 houses had about 3% full BEV, so right about the figure given by the SEAI nationally. I haven't gone around counting them all though 😂.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

When I read that changing to hybrid post, my initial thought was that they sold their Tesla and got a run around in anticipation for next months cheaper Tesla's,

I could well believe that some sold their tesla due to the charging network if they bought newish hybrids, if on the other hand cheap 10 year old hybrids then I could believe a new Tesla is coming.

I mean one very real possibility is that some people bought a Tesla based on some future wealth but then lost their jobs or got a pay cut or interest rates and inflation meant they couldn't afford it

I definitely find it hard to believe that a bunch of people like that live in one estate unless it was the proverbial factory town and the factory closed down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

It's also possible they were all leased company cars and with the increase in BIK they were changed to cheaper cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

Not any relevance to what people live in an estate in Ireland but there was a youtube video breaking down tesla owners in America. Basically they are more over leveraged than other ev owners, younger, more invested in youth meme stocks like netflix, tesla and btc. And being young may also lose jobs more easily as have less experience.

now they wouldnt be living in the same estate in Ireland but i can see how young guys in their 20s try for a Tesla over any other ev. This ties in with the last two comments

Ofc the counter is that in a very affluent estate there wouldnt be Teslas. But that is a different discussion

Not random, the cars seem to move between the same two houses

I don't know what the situation is, just a theory. But if I didn't have a driveway and wanted an EV, and I had a relative who lived 5 mins away who did have a driveway then it's one potential solution

Are you a betting man?

If I prove the last 3-4 Teslas in my estate alone you will donate to charity and publicly apologise for your ignorance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

What exactly are you proving?

That your estate had 3-4 Teslas in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

Sometimes it feels like kids in a playground on these threads. I'll even admit to the odd time being reduced to wasting a minute thinking which is worse for my lovely clean hands, plugging in a wet EV lead or sticking a fuel pump nossle into my tank, before shaking head and moving on to actual issues of importance.

If someone wants a phev good luck to them, ditto with BEV. Choice is the important thing, something which is going to be forcibly reduced in the not too distant future, so enjoy it while you still can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

IMO not having home charging is the defining reason not to buy an EV at present. What's the point, you've all the hassle of trying to keep it charged and no financial reward over ICE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dont get me wrong, i couldnt care less what anyone buys that is their own business, i just dont buy a lot of the arguments people make as to why a BEV isnt for them. If its a cost thing then fine, but for most people, most of the rest of it is not sensible.

100% i would actively discourage anyone who doesnt have home charging from buying an EV.

• Advertisement

No, because that's not the main dispute. While having 3 or 4 Model 3s (not just Teslas.....thats a climb down from your original claim) in an estate of 255 houses would be an outlier, it wouldn't be surprising to find a few examples of this in Ireland running off similar numbers. Finding 7 Model 3s in an estate of 255 would be far less probable and would surprise me even though I know that concentration is still statistically reasonable, but without an unusual set of circumstances, this would not be likely at all. 1 Model 3 for every 50 houses.....no.

Add to this your claim that 3 of them changed to hybrids. It's just BS. If you could prove both claims, then absolutely I would apologise for calling you out on BS, but not for ignorance, because I am not ignorant for calling your claims to be BS. I am very simply using the available numbers while considering the likelihood of one claim and making a reasoned assumption on the second claim based on those numbers.

Stay Free

Apropros to nothing those posts made me think about my own estate which isn't representative to be fair, but out of 21 properties there are:

2 models 3s

1 etron

1 Taycan

1 panamera PHEV

2 Range Rover P400 PHEV

1 BMW x5 phev

so 8 out of 19 properties have some form of plug in (42%) of which 4 are full BEVs (19%)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 yellowmellow2241

Not enough charger. Not much initiative from government. Lack of competetion. Hopefully China will solve that problem very soon.

Apartment dwellers need acceess to chargers as well. Need to do something about that. If there's more charger available people will consider EV.

Charging infrustructure outside of Dublin is horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My estate (and I don't walk down to the opposite side often) has 2 model 3's, an ioniq 5, an ix BMW jeep, an id3, 2 id4's, a Merc eq jeep and (I think) an electric mini. There are quite a few plug in hybrids (5 series, e - class and Merc jeep).

Less than 100 houses.

There's also 2 Maseratis and an Aston Martin!!

Terenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

PHEV are really suited for a lifestyle of regular short urban trips and occasional long trips. So living in Dublin and the odd trip down the country kind of lifestyle.

Talking to a mate about it and with both agreed if we were heading to Dublin from the west coast for a major event (all Ireland final for example) then there's no way we could could risk an electric but a PHEV would be ideal.

I agree if you are talking about a short range EV. I have travelled Dublin to Galway and Dublin to Belfast a couple of times in a Leaf 24. Range anxiety was never far from me doing that. But with today's EVs, that's not even a consideration. I know I can reach anywhere on this little heap of mud and rock we call home on a single charge with the most popular EVs for sale. Anything with range greater than a Leaf 40 beats a PHEV in Ireland and there really is no need for them unless comparing with older or smaller range EVs.

I seriously considered an outlander PHEV before going all in on BEV. It made more sense 5 years ago to consider phev but in my opinion, makes no sense now.

Stay Free

It's ~300km (ish) from the west coast to Dublin.

I can't see how an EV would be feasible on the day of an All Ireland when everybody wants to do a single day round trip and cars heavily loaded with 4 or 5 people and all needing a charge about the same time on the way home.

Another example would be people who go to a seaside town on a bank holiday weekend and only a handful of chargers available with a huge number of visitors low on juice.

A friend of mine has a BEV and a PHEV, prioritises the BEV and the PHEV gets used on all long journeys.

Say 20 trips on average 300km is maybe €600 a year on fuel. That's very little relatively for the freedom that the PHEV brings.

In any 2 car house retaining an ICE or PHEV seems a no brainer.

We've two BEVs and no ICE cars here, never felt there was anywhere we couldn't go in the EVs that would be any more hassle than taking an ICE car

• Advertisement

Can't see how anybody would travel from say Kerry to Dublin and back for an All Ireland final in a BEV if there was an ICE or PHEV sitting beside it in a driveway.

Advertisement