Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭jackboy

It would mean that there would no longer be a category for biological females only. I assume that lots of biological females would like the existence of such a category to continue so that would need to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,523 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In most cases, there's no biological males only competition - and at least one of the arguments I've read in the past 24 hours has proposed it's okay or a palatable concession for Trans Men to enter Mens sport but not okay for Trans Women to enter Womens sport. From a civil rights perspective this is an issue as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Shouldn’t be allowed compete. Absolute farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

At what point does safety trump civil rights though?

A lot of the time, 'female only' restrictions in sports are there to protect people. Similar to having weight restrictions in boxing for example.

It's an interesting question really, especially as we're apparently living in an age of 'health and safety gone mad'.

Is it okay for a trans female MMA fighter to kick seven shades of shite out of a biological female MMA fighter for example? I don't know about you, but that definitely makes me highly uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

From an entertainment perspective maybe let them compete and let all the biological females juice like hell too. Be world records falling all over the place. 😂

Could see a player in ladies football score 5-10 in an all Ireland final. It has its merits.

• Advertisement

Easily dealt with. Have an all inclusive open competition and then a biological female category. Simple and fair.

I think that might make the MMA administration uncomfortable as well but I don't think they've ever pitted 2 opponents together that, by themselves, were completely mismatched to the point of jeopardizing safety or human life, either. And if they have, its admonishable, regardless of the sex of the competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Lia managed to beat 3 olympian medallists in one race alone!

But sure her male puberty and physiology had noting to do with this miraculous performance.

Almost beginners luck facing three medalled Olympian women in the pool.

Thankfully they've seen sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I know you're going to try use this as some kind of gotcha in another thread, so I'll be 100% clear on this. I believe the use of puberty blockers, and cross sex hormone treatment on children, and teenagers for the purpose of socially transitioning gender is entirely unethical.

I'm saying that this does unfortunately happen at present, and an argument could be made for a male that went through that medical process to be allowed compete in female sports.

I know you're going to try use this as some kind of gotcha in another thread, so I'll be 100% clear on this.

Not a gotcha at all - it is necessary to point out this needs addressing, as a policy must exist for all cases and in other cases the political opposition is to prepubescent action to transition, including everything from chest-binding up to 'grooming' at young ages (in Florida, for example, defined as discussing gender at lower grade levels (even though kids will be happily assigned heteronormative gender pronouns in these schools, but I digress)). The 'gotcha' I am concerned about is, if the line of thinking is aggressively adopted that trans athletes can only compete if they transition pre-puberty -> leading to an increase in pre-pubescent transition mainly for the sake of eligibility for competition. That would be it's own ethical dilemma.

I'm not a child ethicist however I have seen enough examples of affected child depression and suicide to suggest that it at least must be addressed in a case by case basis, I am not as confident in saying it is wholly ethical or unethical to provide puberty blockers or cross sex hormone treatment on children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

At what point did we get to as a race where sex based categories are ignored? A lot of the people pushing this themselves either had no interest in sport and to a lesser extent were mediocre sports people at best. So how have we regressed to deny science and biology? And deem it “progressive”? No way should anyone who identifies as a transgender woman be allowed in women’s sports categories.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Show me one post where I said her physiology had no impact on her performance, please.

When you can’t find one, I’ll expect you to apologise for attributing remarks to me that I never made.

Genuinely frustrates me that posters have to go out of their way to lie in order to belittle facts that have been thrown at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I neveronce said you did, so stop looking for offence where there is none.

It is a vehement argument put forward by TRAs who seem completely lost in this ideology.

And it's reassuring to know you see sense.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If you 'never once said' I made such remarks, why are you now 'reassured' that I 'see sense'?

You've literally contradicted yourself instead of just holding up your hands and admitting that you attributed remarks to me that were never made.

Before you double down, you replied to a post of mine with "But sure her male puberty and physiology had noting to do with this miraculous performance," - if you're not talking to me then who are you talking to? And why aren't you quoting them instead of me?

Chatting complete and utter nonsense again to try and avoid just saying you wrongly made an assumption about me. Don't worry I'm not offended. Loads of posters in here have been doing the same thing because there is literally nothing else they can say to the facts being presented in front of them, so they just lie about what my opinions and beliefs are instead.

It's typical of this sh*thole website. People incapable of arguing in good faith because their egos can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Watching Ireland Italy U20s tonight, Hollie Davidson excellent on the whistle again. She played u20s for Scotland in her time, an elite level.

How do you reckon she would get on tackling Francesco Gallorini, the 6ft 3, 133kg Italian tight head? Have a look at scrum time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus that was 5 pages of back and forth bawlocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Probably should have started a new thread about the LGFA rather than post in this one...

Wasn't just the LGFA ones!

I know, but it just set off a whole argument that has already been had...

5th grade girls team in Alabama forced to compete in boys basketball (also 5th graders) in order to keep their facility. They end up winning the entire competition but then are denied to trophy - you know, because of their genital condition. Despite shattering gender stereotypes about athletic performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You are talking about 10-11 year olds here. This is hardly a real world comparison...but you probably already know that, and here you are still scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Hmmm. Are you sure there isn’t more to that against the odds Hollywood style story? Are those girls really victims of a conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

What's the argument here?

Girls treated unfairly? Yes. I'd agree. But that's somewhere in America.

Are these not kids around about 11 yo?

I would see no physical advantage either way, boy or girl at that age.

5th grade? I wonder will that same team keep winning against the boys as they progress through middle school and highschool

Interesting one to follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Note that 5th graders are around 10-11 years old so pre-puberty.

If anything this further proves the point people have been making. Pre puberty no difference in athletic performance, post puberty gigantic difference between male and female athletic performance, that's why you can't have transgender girls (biological males) competing against girls post puberty (when sport is taken properly seriously) if you want a fair sport.

The irony that the article implies girls are treated unfairly, but the poster would be all in for biological males to complete with biological females in the female category. God bless.

Turns out it was a mother on a mission without all the facts:

Quote:

"This is one parent who got on Facebook and, obviously, did not understand the process," Rice told Insider. "So there must have been a breakdown between the coach and the parents."

The City of Hoover told Insider that the championship girls played on an "elite" team, where the players are specially selected based on their high-skill level, and thus they're not part of the "regular" league.

The boys teams they played against are part of the "regular" league, where the most skilled players are spread out across teams and not loaded all onto one team, the statement said.

Rice said that "elite" teams generally play teams from across the metro area, but can join recreational league tournaments to "get additional games and for practice."

Rice said the girls team was not forced to play against the boys, and that the coaches chose to, knowing they wouldn't be given the trophy if they won.

"These elite teams come in and they request to participate in the tournament and they're told you can participate, but you're not part of our league, so you can't be named the champion for your grade level," Rice told Insider. "They agreed to that. The coaches knew that."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

Being forced to play against the boys "to keep their facility" was a nice flourish though.

There's nothing wrong with teams of opposite sex playing against each other in some sports on an ad-hoc basis so long as they are carefully matched. Multiple nations senior national women's soccer teams have played against u15 club boys squads for example.

Didn't the USA women's soccer team play against a teenage boy team and get beaten also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Its a regular thing for elite women's soccer to play training matches versus underage (elite) boys teams u15-u18. It's tactical training for intensity purposes. It's purely for the benefit of the women's soccer team.

The women's team are likely to be more skillfull but that won't matter when physically they are more likely to be overpowered in the end. Its ok if it's a mis-match. The score doesn't matter. No one's trying to prove anything.

Our own National Coach for the Women's National Team uses this very method.

Advertisement