Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Some of this might have been plausible in the Schmidt era but the current Ireland coaches are

- a guy from Wigan who spent most of his life in rugby league

- an English bloke who spent his playing career in Wales and

- the most Munster man who ever Munstered.

All overseen by an Australian.

Where on earth is the Leinster bias coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

How does Penny’s production compare to Hodnett in the games they have played? If you have the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yes, you told a great story about how great Hodnett is yet in the majority of games that O'Donoghue has been available in the HC Hodnett hasn't started

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's more that Penny can't get the 20 shirt at Heineken level ahead of Baird, Conan or even Max Deegan.

His single bench appearance came when Leinster went 6-2 on the bench.

Most of the elite players come from leinster. Ireland play a system somewhat to mostly based on leinster. It therefore makes sense short term at least to pick players who are familiar with that system and familiar with ireland’s best players.

That chain of logic is pretty obvious imo.

I'd imagine that Farrell and Lancaster do have a fair amount of communication - if I recall correctly Farrell went quite Leinster centric mid way through his tenure and that started Ireland's run of success. He may not have coached provincially but he has a close relationship with exactly one provincial coach and that's where the majority of Ireland players come from and where the overlap of playing style is most pronounced so it's not unfeasible that there is some background influence at play.

Honestly I think Munster deserve greater representation and Coombes has made a compelling case but it's hard to move beyond the excessive incest and destructive tulip eating when making key decisions regarding the Irish 23. If the Munster lads could even limit the in-session drooling I think they'd have a better chance of international honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I saw that overthehillprop twitter thread early, thought it was fairly pathetic. It's just complete rage-bait, he's like some of the posters on here for exaggerating to the nth degree. "All it takes for a Leinster player is a mid 6N game against the Dragons to get called up", how about the two games against Munster that he started, scored in and won this season? Are Munster a mickey-mouse team? How about the fact he plays the same position as the guy who was judged to be literally the best rugby player on the planet in 2022? Who the **** has the energy to get that worked up about the 37th guy added to the squad?

There's absolutely some desperately bitter stuff coming about these days. This now deleted twitter account went through every action Ross Byrne made during the Wales game, made gifs of all of them, and criticised literally everything he did. Even the objectively excellent kicks to the corner weren't good enough because we didn't score directly from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

As a general point of etiquette, could I politely request that posters don't come on here and unload their rage for Twitter users onto posters here, who themselves are disappointed but at least making some attempt at a courteous conversation?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yep. My thinking on that is that, with Munster missing so many 2nd rows this season, we had to go for a more heavy-set back row.

But Hodnett absolutely is in contention for the 1st choice jersey whatever way you cut it.

The same posters who are regurgitating their paranoid points nearly verbatim?

Hodnett absolutely is in contention for the 1st choice jersey whatever way you cut it

He absolutely is.

But there is simply no way to conclude from this that he's better than Penney.

I have no idea who's better btw and since Penny will be back at Leinster by Thursday evening, it really doesn't matter.

But Hodnett being closer to his starting XV doesn't mean anything in relation to their relative quality.

That's the flaw undermining this whole argument.

Must be challenging times with those patreon sign ups if you go by the outrageous stuff that's popping up on my timeline from that bunch recently.

They've either lost the plot or scraping the bottom of the barrel for engagement.

This has been the case forever. Guys who don’t start are not able to prove or disprove it in big games.

This is the first time that its actually better not to play in big games for leinster than it is to do so for other provinces. Penny is literally better wearing a track suit at leinster in terms of getting picked for ireland.

Again, the idea that this might be bad long term being painted as paranoid and ridiculous is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It all bleeds across. There are certain impressionable posters in this thread in the last page or three parroting it.

Former Former Former took the words out of my mouth.

Fully agree Hodnett is in contention for the 1st choice jersey, the implication from many posters however has been that a) Hodnett is already a clear first choice and b) the opportunities he has received in the HC is proof that he is a better player to be in Irish camp than Penny. Neither are true.

There are arguments for and against both players, there is not solid enough evidence for anyone to be upset about the decision going either way, forget about some sort of long term negative impact to rugby.

that its actually better not to play in big games for leinster

One of the most startling revelations from today is the number of people who no longer consider Munster v Leinster a big game.

I mean its not. Munster have kind of sucked for a while. Munster hasn’t been a big game for leinster for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The flip side is we’ve seen Hodnett perform at a higher level, which we haven’t seen from Penny because he hasn’t gotten the gametime.

There’s an element of certainty and evidence we can take from Hodnett’s appearances that we can’t take from Penny’s. Why? Because Penny’s only played against “random sh*t URC teams”, for want of a better phrase.

It’s not unreasonable for posters to draw conclusions from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

This would be valid if it was just munster posters complaining. It isn't. You have fans from other provinces also complaining about the selection of Penney over Hodnett.

Penney over Hodnett might be a valid selection based on what the coaches want from their 7. But you are going to turn off fans of other provinces when they see these types of decisions.

Its starting to cause issues between leinster fans and fans of the other three provinces. Soon it will turn fans off following ireland. It's all great now that it's successful and it's hard to argue against the starting team, but if calls like this keep happening then it becomes an issue.

Once again, we must ask are Munster are a 'random sh*t URC team'?

It is general consensus that Penny outshone Hodnett on the Emerging Ireland tour, the closest the coaches would have gotten to them both. That clearly matters to them.

I don't think it is unreasonable to feel that Hodnett's Munster form should outweigh this but is the way over the top reactions we're seeing here and on twitter are however completely unreasonable (not including you in this).

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, I think some are interpreting this dicussion with the idea that Farrell is secretly a big Leinster lover who is actively trying to hurt the other provinces, but that is not what people are saying (or at least, it's not what I am saying).

The entire Irish system is biased toward Leinster right now, the structures of the game are biased toward Leinster, the Irish team and Farrell's selections are a symptom/consequence of that.

Farrell's background, and the background of the other coaches is not a factor here, it's an unconscious bias for want of a better term. As I said, he's not going to bed in Leinster pyjamas, but he is clearly willing to overlook a stark lack of exposure to high level rugby if a player has seen the inside of a Dublin private school.

Going through the Leinster academy and getting 10 minutes in Europe in a game already dead is clearly rated more valuable than starting for and playing well for Munster in Europe. There lies the problem.

Penny’s form against AIL level south african teams is more important than actual european games. Stated without irony lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You could also say that Penny has been very influential in multiple Leinster wins against random URC team...Munster rugby. He's even scored 2 tries in his last 3 games against them.

Is the more surprising thing here not that he's been picked ahead of Nick Timoney?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Emerging Ireland tour clearly was important in informing the coaches selection decisions. The better players from that series have all featured in national squads recently.

The tour was a great success in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So, Osborne is not quality? I also recognize good players. Frisch is good. But he's behind a few others. He's apparently not good enough for France or England.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Timoney has been fairly poor recently, not surprising he's been overlooked.

TBH I don't think Timoney is test level, he's the sort of player who has pushed himself to the limit and that limit is probably URC or maybe Europe. He has very limited potential as a test player.

• Advertisement

This is the hyperbolic stuff I was talking about.

Why on earth would the selection of a tackle bag holder in camp turn off fans from following their own country?

The only answer I can see is if they're sad and bitter and look for any excuse to do it anyway.

Advertisement