Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ha, well I obviously don’t think Munster are a **** URC team. But as another poster pointed out if you swapped Hodnett and Penny, would that lead to a different result? Nah, definitely not buying that.

One final point I’ll make is that, with Conan vs Coombes, the point was made about the marginal call going to the more experienced player.

Imo, it’s not entirely dissimilar here, except the marginal call went the other way.

I don’t think either Hodnett or Penny are likely to see game time this side of the RWC (maybe in the warm-ups) but it’s hard to see a path where Penny gets more big game experience than Hodnett between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Unlike the other provices, Ulster are playing in SA this weekend. Even if Timoney was slightly ahead for the final tackle bag spot they likely wouldn't have taken him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Absolutely posters can draw conclusions from what they do or do not see. But I would remind you that Penny has played 80 minutes twice this season against Munster and played very well both times.

However, what's being suggested today is that Farrell is picking his squad on the basis of Penny looking good against the Dragons and whoever else. That's where I disagree vehemently (you might have noticed).

What no one on this forum saw is how people trained and adapted in the Emerging Ireland tour. Both Penny and Hodnett were there. Now one of them has been called up and the other has not.

That seems to me to be the most logical explanation.

It worked for Crowley who had far less big game experience than Penny has and ended up starting against Australia. It seems to have worked for Salanoa who's third choice at Munster and is one injury away from a cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Has anybody considered that with a run of matches the possibility of Will Connors coming right back in. I would not be surprised. He's better than Penny and Hodnett, when healthy. Food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This tackle bag stuff makes absolutely no sense. People are pretending that these sort of calls have absolutely no consequences. They do have consequences.

In future, I guarantee you if someone questions Penny's selection, the exact same posters saying now "he's just there to hold tackle bags, it doesn't matter" will be the ones then saying "Penny was selected cause he has experience in camp, they called him up during the 2023 Six Nations so he'll be more familiar with The System".

Honestly, it'll be the exact same people.

Conan is a far superior player to Coombes at the moment.

His game intelligence, experience and whether you believe it or not, his handling and tackling.

He's just an all round better 8 currently.

It worked for Crowley who had far less big game experience than Penny has

That’s not entirely true either tho. Crowley stated away to Castres last season and came off the bench.

(He’s added to that this season where he’s started 3 European games this season and came off the bench in another).

I also think Salanoa is much further up the TH depth chart for us now too. It’s similar to the Hodnett situation in that it’s not longer clear who 1st choice is.

Dont think those scenarios are similar at all.

Conan's experience includes performing for this coaching ticket in high pressure situations for years, a small matter of being a test lion as a cherry on top vs Coombes last experience with this coaching ticket being a poor performance for the A team.

Hodnett's additional experience is a few HC games, while also underperforming vs Penny in SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The Ireland team is majority leinster. The current selection makes sense with very few marginal calls. It means that fans of other provinces can still easily support Ireland as its clearly the best team in Ireland.

If the third choice leinster player is picked ahead of starting players from other provinces to hold tackle bags then it becomes easier to see it as a leinster squad than an Irish squad.

You will argue against that I assume but I think it's clear to see from this thread that it's becoming very much leinster against the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Nonsense, honestly. Coombes is a way better 8 for what munster ask their 8 to do. If you asked Conan to run into gang tackles all day and also play as a lock for 20/30 minutes, it would not go well.

I think I'd disagree that Castres at home is a big game. If they've won on the road in the HC in the last ten years I'll be surprised.

But still, he was very green and brought in ahead of more experienced players based (apparently) on the EI tour.

I'm not sure why the same can't apply to Penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm not on Twitter. But if one of these "paranoid" ideas regards players not considered for Ireland eventually leaving, I have to admit that I had a very similar thought as soon as I heard (I think Jackman?) comment that French teams were coming after Frisch.

Frisch was an outstanding bit of scouting and recruitment by Munster, and has been one of our best players this season. Losing him would be a huge setback for Rowntree's project moving forward. And though he may not even be considering a future in green, it was surely part of the pitch to bring him over in the first place.

So then you might say, well, international rugby is a meritocratic honour, the national side can't just give out spots in camp for free. And they absolutely shouldn't. But then you see a guy who needs a 6-2 split to make a bench appearance for Leinster in the Heineken Cup getting into camp, while another of Munster's best players this season gets overlooked.

On paper, they are unrelated selection issues. But in terms of the broader picture, it all just sticks in the craw. And Awec described a very similar vibe from the perspective of someone from the other side of the island who I dare say does not follow Munster fan/clickbait accounts on Twitter.

No, it's not the Andy Farrell's job to keep players at Munster (or Ulster). Yes, he might be right to pick Leinster players who have a longer-standing familiarity with certain systems, over better performing provincial counterparts. That's entirely his choice. I'll cheer Ireland either way.

But by the same token, disappointment with callups is not paranoia/delusion/rage/desperate/pathetic or all the other completely charter-friendly terms I've read being thrown at Munster fans in this thread*. Fans are within their rights to have opinions that speak to their experiences and it's possible that more than one person is feeling the same thing right now.

(*To be clear, not from you, specifically, Interested Observer).

No one says they 'have absolutely no consequences', the consequences are just pretty minor and absolutely no reason for the upset and paranoia that is being shown.

And so what if posters say that in the future? They'll be making as much of a guess about the Irish coaching team's motive as we do about any selection. What difference does that make to anyone?

Are you serious?

Conan will do that all day long. Plus he wouldn't run into "gang tackles", whatever they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

On the 'holding tackle bags' trope. Might it be the case that the enlarged squad from which the match day 23 are drawn allows for 15 v 15 training, where one 15 are tasked with replicating what our analysts believe our next 6N opposition will do. And in that model, would certain players who can best replicate certain Italian back rows have a greater chance of being called into camp ?.

Conan has regularly moved to play in the second row to close out games?

I’ll honestly say that anyone who watches coombes and conan play and thinks that they are similar enough to compare one to one knows dick about rugby.

Different players. Sweet jebus.

Conan is tried and tested. A successful lion.

Coombes day may come and I hope it does. But not now.

What starting players? As has been agreed by Munster posters, Hodnett isn't a clear first team starter.

I lived through the Kidney years of basically every selection call going to the 'familiar' guy in the red jersey.

Happy to be proved wrong by other posters who were also around then but though there were plenty of disagreements I have no memory of these veiled threats of supporters losing interest in the national team that seem to come around quite regularly over the last few years, even now when it comes to back end of a 37 man camp decisions.

• Advertisement

The Conan v Coombes thing comes down to risk-reward for me.

Yes, Conan is the more athletic, more experienced, and probably more mobile, all-round player. Perfect cover for the 20 shirt.

However....

We were held up over the line four times against France. How many of those chances would Coombes have converted? 50% is 10-14 points. 100% is 20-28 points.

Are Coombes's deficiencies (as they would emerge in the Ireland system), relative to Conan, worth somewhere between 10-28 points per 80 minutes of rugby played?

That's where I seriously start to have doubts, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Next word cup cycle, we will have a glut of international lads winding down. Then there's going to be new players stepping in. Hodnett will pick up a lot of caps, imo. I had thought that Kendellen was the better player but, maybe not. Penny will be capped and will probably do well. But, Will Connors will hopefully be fit and firing and if so, I think he's next up. I wouldn't write Timoney off either, he's a better athlete than his rivals and is in the unfortunate position of playing for an incredibly hit and miss Ulster.

Conan is a fine player. So is Conan, so is Deegan. Doris is better than them all. Coombes and Conan are fighting for the bench spot.

As far as Leinster bias, it probably appears this way. But why would Ulster players be selected? Or Munster? Seriously, Ulster were crap this past weekend. There's nobody that played for them that helped their cause. Munster are turning the corner and playing better. But the outrage over international spots is crazy. If Farrell picked more from the other provinces does that improve Ireland.

Farrell has capped E.O.S and Lowry, both have stalled. He also capped Hume, who will get more caps and took a look at Burns. None of these lads are good enough, except possibly Hume. Baloucone is a good shout for more caps. I have no clue what Farrell has to do to improve Ulsters players to get them up to speed.

It's not like Farrell has ignored the other provinces. Mack Hanson is capped. Bealham is playing well and getting caps. Jack Carty is not good enough and Blade is on the fringes. Who else deserves to be included?

From a Munster perspective, there's Loughman and Kilcoyne. Loughman will be a regular, imo. Murray is still getting picked and Casey also. Salanoa is among the fringes and there's no doubt that Hodnett and Ahern will be involved.

I hope Ireland complete the slam and win the feckin world cup. Even if the team had no Leinster players involved.

Since posting this a few minutes ago, I could go back and add "sad" and "bitter" to that list of adjectives.

A bit of self-reflection, folks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Munster have never dominated Irish rugby, and by extension the Irish national team, to anywhere near the same extent Leinster do now.

There is no comparison to be had here.

The all fit and firing Ireland 15 right now is probably Keenan, Hansen, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe, Sexton, JGP, Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Beirne, POM, VDF, Doris.

I'll let you count them up.

Yeah, but the point is that that is more reflective of the quality of Leinster's squad and back row, than a necessarily negative reflection on Scott Penny. All the guys you've listed are internationals. Once again, I don't think if John Hodnett was in Leinster's squad that he would have had any more success in getting the 20 shirt at a Heineken Cup level.

My bad, you're right.

But still, given he barely featured the rest of the season, I think it's safe to say that his elevation in November was largely due to the EI tour.

I seem to be the only one who thinks this could be a factor for Penney, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭ersatz

It's the most successful system, produces the most players and the greatest number of very high quality players so this makes sense. Players who are prominent and successful at Leinster tend to be at least decent at European level so any Ireland coach can make certain assumptions about them. It's significant too that Farrell and Lancaster have worked together at a very high level before, Farrell would be mad not to rely on that relationship AND he doesn't have it with other provincial coaches.

The question your point raises though, is whether guys like Hodnett would get ahead enough at Leinster to make the cut for Ireland. Would Hodnett get the opportunity to impress as much as he does at Munster if he were a Leinster player with all the competition for places there? For me even POM would have his work cut out to be a bankable starter for Leinster, same goes for Coombes and even Hendo. And I'm not a huge supporter of individual provinces, I watch some of each provinces games and like to see them do well. I'd love to see another province challenge and dominate Leinster as a signal of the standard improving across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Was Conan held up 4 times over the line? Because if he wasn’t then your math makes no sense.

Sorry, my last comment was over the line.

What i mean is that there is basically no overlap in their elite skills. Their unique selling points are completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Just a thought, time spent on the much derided EI tour. Has as much influence on getting into camp. As playing or not playing in Europe has. Getting ahead of JOD as opposed to getting ahead of VDF is not an even metric.

Advertisement