Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah Connors was in world class form before his injury. I think Leinster are doing the right thing introducing him back in slowly. I still think hes the next best 7 after Josh, just needs an injury free run. In the small amount he's played he's been very impressive considering the length of time he was out.

For all the arguing over Penny and Hodnet(personally think they are both excellent players) it shows that Irish rugby is in a great place, there's never been so much strength in depth. The backrow is crazy competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea, but who knows? Maybe the Leinster coaches would love him and he would excel even more in a good pack.

Not necessarily negative reflection on Penny seems to be moving to a situation where it is just assumed that leinster third choice guys are better than guys who have got real time in europe.

That could be correct short term, but the idea that it could be a damaging idea long term isn’t crazy.

Bit conspiratorial to be honest. Going through the Leinster academy is a result of getting into the Leinster academy and doing so generally means being tip of the sword in terms of performance at one of the hotbeds of player production in world rugby.

Drawing a direct line between Dublin private schools and international selection is reductive and easy but it ignores the incredible amount of work, discipline and commitment that walks hand in hand with getting to that point.

Irish selection probably is biased towards Leinster but then Leinster has the best coaching setup and subsequently a lot of very well coached players.

The school they went to was relevant to a degree when they got into the setup, the players they are by the time they're pushing for international honours has little if anything to do with where they went to school.

I hope that isn't a chip I see on your shoulder.

Sorry, but that is a nonsensical comparison.

Jack Conan is a 30-year old, Heineken Cup winning, 3-Test Lions tourist, with 33 Ireland caps and over 160 games for Leinster. It's not remotely a stretch to say he's materially more experienced than the 25 year old Gavin Coombes who has 2 Irish caps (against Japan & the USA), and 60 odd games for Munster, and who has won exactly nothing.

Claiming it's a like for like situation between Penny and Hodnett is a joke. Hodnett is 8 months older, but Penny has more caps (50) than Hodnett has (35). You're making out like Hodnett is some grizzled European veteran.

It's not like Penny hasn't played a lot of good rugby this season too. He's started 8 games for Leinster this season (played 10), and has done well in those games as well.

• Advertisement

But what's your point here exactly? That is the best Irish selection on merit.

Leinster have been objectively the best province in Irish rugby for eons now.

All of this whining would be more meaningful if Ireland were struggling, but this is currently an Irish team in the discussion for the best team we've ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

I haven't seen much of Connors this season but what struck me about him before his injury was just how abrasive a game he plays, he's not huge but really puts his body on the line in the most destructive ways. He struck me as a player who is unlikely to have a long career.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is a very clear and obvious link between Dublin private schools and eventual test caps. The concentration of players coming from one or two schools in particular is not something that can be dismissed as coincidence. The money floating around the school game here is something that no other province can ever hope to compete with. It's not Leinster's fault either, they are just excelling at taking advantages of the socioeconomic advantages that have been handed to them.

Yes, it's an achievement to get into the Leinster academy, but the point is going through the Leinster academy clearly counts for a lot more than going through the academy in Belfast or Limerick. We can all debate why this is the case, why Leinster has the better coaches, why players coming out of Leinster are so far ahead of their peers, whether it's down to money or not, but I don't think the why overly matters in this discussion.

The difference in how Leinster is viewed is obviously so great that coaches are willing to pick a guy with almost zero exposure to top level club rugby over another guy with experience.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am on record saying that the Irish 23 shouldn't change, I think it's the best selection on merit. You cannot argue with the win record. I agree with selecting Conan over Coombes, etc etc etc.

My problem in this instance is they are calling up a wider squad player, a player who is unlikely to get a cap this Six Nations but who will still get camp experience. They have picked an inexperienced Leinster player over a more experienced Munster player and it's very hard to argue that it's because Penny is more talented.

I think your last sentence somewhat hits the nail on the head though, in that I think some Leinster fans can't see the wood for the trees. You say this is the best team we've ever produced? The large majority of this team were produced in Leinster. It is difficult for some of us to associate this team as one being produced by us, rather a team produced by you. Even at club level we're expected to embrace the current status quo. Three cheers for Leinster Irish rugby.

Do you really not see how it can be frustrating and disheartening for those of us not from Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There's no question that players who get exposed daily to the facilities of a private rugby school have an advantage over other players, but I don't think that alone explains any bias in 50-50 calls for the national side.

There were as many privately educated players in the Leinster side that was struggling (losing a Pro12 final to Connacht) before Lancaster arrived in 2016.

So for me, if anything, it's the Lancaster exposure that tips things in the favour of Leinster players when Farrell et al face a marginal call.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But I didn’t say it was a like for like situation.

I said “not entirely dissimilar”. Which literally implies that they’re not like for like.

My point is that we’ve seen Hodnett play well at a higher level than Penny. I feel that should count for something. That’s hardly an outrageous claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

inexperienced Leinster player over a more experienced Munster player

In fairness, Hodnett is only more experienced if you define experience exclusively as European minutes.

Penny has a lot more senior gametime despite being the younger man.

Yeah, but a point you seem to just repeatedly be missing here is that Leinster are objectively considerably better than Munster. Have been for almost 12 years or so now.

John Hodnett needs to be better than Jack O'Donoghue to get that European game time for Munster, hardly a standard indicative of astounding quality.

You keep saying he's "third choice at Leinster", but that's not the case. This season, three players have started at 7 for Leinster, JvDF 9 times, Scott Penny 8 times and Will Connors once. Last season 4 players started at 7 for Leinster, JvDF 15 times, Scott Penny 10 times (plus one start at No 8), Dan Leavy twice and Will Connors once.

12? He’s versatile. A bit like Gav Coombes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

We're all Irish fans, are we not? You've said this before and I really don't get it. We're a small country, but even if we weren't, no matter where the player comes from, be it Ulster, Munster, Leinster or Connacht (or for that matter Auckland, George or Nelson) once the Irish jersey goes on then it's an Irish team, not a Leinster one or a Munster one or whatever. I honestly don't understand why you'd lose interest in your national side simply because players from Ulster aren't as numerous as others.

And yes, I'm a Leinster supporter. But I've been watching Ireland for longer than Leinster (for obvious reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

You can dismiss it as bitter as much as you like but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. There was an email sent in to off the ball a few weeks ago which, while acknowledging Ireland's recent success, lamented the disconnect felt by fans outside of Leinster due to the perceived favouring of Leinster squad players when it comes to selection for the national side. It's not just loonies on twitter.

There is a very real perception that playing in blue makes it far easier to be selected in green. Whether that's true or not isn't really relevant. What is important is the fact that it's possibly going to be harder to convince lads to head to other provinces to get gametime, leading to a backlog of talent. It's also alienating fans in other provinces. I can understand why that might not be a concern for Leinster supporters but it's churlish at best (and arrogant at worst) for them to condescend to their provincial neighbours with the "sure he's only there to hold tackle bags" schtick. Maybe that's all those players are doing but don't be surprised when interest wanes in the national side outside of a few spots in Leinster.

Yeah, we've seen Hodnett play at a higher level, but Penny has played 50 times for Leinster, during an era where they've been one of the best teams in European rugby. That counts for a lot too.

People are overrating European experience too. Liam Turner and Brian Deeny made their European debuts before Scott Penny. Does that mean they should be closer to Irish reckoning than him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I thought you were around longer than that. For years during Munster's peak they had 1-10 basically locked up, aside from the odd exception each year, and then usually had at least one in the backs.

To say it was never 'anywhere near' where we are for first team isn't true.

I dunno, FFF, just yesterday you used the phrase “random sh*t URC teams” when discussing Gavin Coombes performance vs Ospreys.

Presumably that applies to Penny too?

The reason people are mentioning Europe is as a differentiation to those “random sh*t URC teams” where at least some level of quality is implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea, but that doesn’t mean every single player is better.

Also, this isn’t ryan Baird or Joe McCarthy. This is a pretty workmanlike 7 who is kind of undersized and has one elite skill. He is exactly the kind of guy who should have to prove it all the way up, not get jumped up because of upside. He doesn’t have a ton of upside. In fact its the other way around. Hodnett has traits of an elite edge carrier. He needs to work on his passing id say but he is way more of a diamond that you’d like to polish than Penny.

Some of these guys should have to prove it. I don’t see how its good long term for irish rugby that that just isn’t a requirement unless the guy is some kind of special talent that needs to be bedded in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's all well and good to a point - that point being when you stop feeling that the national team actually does represent you. Supporting a team is an emotional investment after all.

Ya, but Connors has been injured for ages and is back now. That seems pretty relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

So, people have an issue they've seen on Twitter and take it here to get it off their chest.

They must have a lot going on in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I dunno who it was on here said just yesterday or the day before that they couldn't see a viable pathway to how Scott Penney gets an Ireland callup... a day is a long time in Irish rugby!

I remember that time three red kings had an issue on boards and took it to twitter to get it off their chest...

Ah come on, there is plenty of **** rugby in Europe too. Leinster's average winning margin in Europe this season is 38 points ffs. Would Scott Penny be more deserving of this spot if he'd played in Leinster's 57-0 rout over a second string Gloucester team in the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

No, it's not. It might be part of the reason why he's clearly been Leinster's second choice openside for the past two seasons, but it doesn't change the fact that Penny has racked up a lot of game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I suppose then what I don't get is why I would feel someone from Galway or Cork or Antrim represents me less than someone from Dublin (I'm not from Dublin, by the way). Like, I'd get it if Leinster were full of players that weren't from Leinster, I might feel differently for a regional team, but for the national team that doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe there's something else at play, but I just don't get it (not wanting to labour that point too much).

• Advertisement

Deeny and Turner both have 8 minutes in Europe

That’s not the same as Hodnett having almost 500 minutes in Europe.

You’re kinda making my argument for me.

Advertisement