Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi e-tron

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,319 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Try a Model X Plaid, 0-60 in 2.5s, same time as a formula 1 car and faster than any motorbike ever made 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes I suppose, it’s a 90 k car though so perhaps I thought it would blow me away

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah but once you get over the acceleration it’s not going to blow you away as a driving experience. I saw a model x being tracked versus the etron and i pace (not sure which versions ) and it cornered so badly that it posted the worst times despite being quickest in a straight line !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Big, comfortable, quiet, refined, composed is what 90k gets you. It also gets you 400bhp but there's nothing out there in the SUV world that you'd call exciting or fun apart from straight line acceleration.

Very little in any segment really you'd call fun these days unless you're really hammering them, but most people are fine with that. All electronics and safety these days.

That was probably the only time anyone has ever taken a Tesla Model X to a track 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Hi Cyrus. I found your posts very informative. Can I ask how many kilometers are you getting on a full charge. I am undecided on going for a full EV as I currently drive a PHEV A6 black edition which I find great. I viewed a 2021 daytona grey e-tron 55 black edition yesterday and it fell in love with it. I was told the average range would be around 350 kilometers. Is this what you have found to be the case? Thanks for any further information.

Hi Daytona grey is lovely I had an a5 black edition once upon a time in that colour. As for range on a 55 we have averaged 28.8 kwh per 100km since august, id expect that to come down closer to 25/26 once we have a full 12 months but that would infer an average range of 300km considering the usable battery is 86.5kwh.

now we are urbanites and do a lot of short 5-10km trips in a reasonably hilly terrain part of Dublin so that will be a contributing factor. I generally find on longer trips with motor way driving etc it trends closer to 24/25 kw per 100km which infers around 350km or so and have seen closer to 400 in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Lads im going to as a stupid question but how come the range is so poor on these batteries, ive always had a soft spot for Audi's though the years but have been driving VW as of late, a few Tiguains and now an ID4. Surely with an 86.6kwh battery you would want to be clearing 500km range?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I was looking at a 2nd hand one of these before I bought a Tesla from what I can see it comes down to thermal mgmt as in I believe the etron uses quite a bit of energy maintaining battery temps and there is the CD of 0.28. In the real world if the Tesla Model 3 is a tampon the etron is a cavity block, takes more energy to move

The etron is deceptively big and it’s 2.5 tonnes , it’s just not efficient , on the plus side it’s a fast charger if you need to fast charge .

• Advertisement

The importance of efficiency in EVs is overrated. As long as you have the range you need. The charging costs of home charging even a big inefficient EV like an e-tron is only a fraction of diesel and they are just as zero local emissions as any other EV

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Thanks for the reply, Cyrus. Now I have a big decision to make 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭creedp

Agreed which is why I find it strange when some people replacing diesels with EVs are so concerned with the cost of home charging, some going as far as thanking God that they can charge for free at work. I know a guy who prefers to drive his ranger because the EV is driving his electricity bill through the roof!! I haven't the strength to argue with him.

IMO they should instead be thanking God himself that they can charge their car at home rather than be screwed by the cost of petrol/diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Ive been looking at eniros or e2008s around donedeal for ages. Then I spotted etrons in the North going for around €35000 (no vat or customs). I'm half talking myself into one given my 40km round trip commute, but they seem huge.

What e-tron is that, the VW ID.4 clone or the proper fat e-trons? Any link to ads for €35k in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Original E-Trons from say 2019 onward are lovely cars but extremely inefficient as an EV and will be expensive to run. A lot of car for the money but used market seems to be flooded with them especially in N.I. Do your research but range is not their strongpoint. EV database or Bjorn on YT are good sources for honest information.

My father has the 55 etron. I think its 90kwh battery and it has same range as my 58kwh cupra born. His long term range is sitting at 25kwh/100kms, mine is 17kwh. Realistically you'd be doing close to 300kms between charges (from 100%)

So whatever way you look at it, it uses an extra 50% of electricity. Range is perfectly fine, but not what you'd call efficient.

I suspect the ones mentioned above are 50 models. The range on those is much lower. These have 71kw batteries so max range would be under 300 and youd be looking to charge after 240 kms or so. And thats in warm weather and an efficient style of driving. Winters could be hassle depending on type of driving you do.

They're nice cars, if you're happy with the range and price I wouldn't hesitate. Personally I'd wait until a 55 is in a budget you are happy with but that's just me, I couldn't trade down in range from what I have now. Shouldn't be more than a year behind the 50s in hitting same price.

Edit: I see them on autotrader NI. They look fresh in fairness, bought just before covid and low mileage. What would be the charges to bring one of those over the border and register here?

Post edited by Buddy Bubs on

Lots of 2019/2020 50/55 models for sale here too with independent traders, most are UK imports and don't appear to be selling very quickly. VRT would be very small on such an EV but VAT is not so straightforward. One from an Audi dealer would have a 2 year warranty as an approved used car. I don’t really see the value in them compared to a brand new more efficient EV with better warranty and range. Obviously it wouldn’t have an Audi badge though…

Yeah that's the tradeoff, big plush SUV a few years old with poorer efficiency (although I don't really agree on poor range on the 55 model, it's not too far behind most EVs out there for 40-50k or thereabouts thanks to an enormous battery) v a newer more efficient EV. And range, for a lot of people, myself included after almost a year driving EV is not the be all and end all its made out to be once you have the right charging options. For some it is but they have to just buy a vehicle that suits them.

I'm lucky I get to drive both the etron and cupra regularly, the cupra is a better drive, much lighter and nimbler and almost as fast despite being 200bhp down on the much heavier etron. But the audi is a very very impressive machine to be behind the wheel of and lovely place to sit. You feel the weight a lot but its very solid feeling and well built. Most EVs, including my own, don't feel upmarket at all despite being in the price bracket of the likes of 5 series of only a few years ago. Cost cutting all over the place, screens replacing buttons, disguising cost cutting as minimalism. The etron does feel upmarket. But then I guess it should, its significantly more expensive but the price levels they've dropped to mean that for the right buyer, they're starting to look like a bargain.

If I didn't have access to one, I'd be all over selling my 222 cupra, dropping back 2 years or so and buying an original etron for not much extra outlay.

The Q8 etron seems to be the business, much improved efficiency.

• Advertisement

Is the efficiency much better on them or just bigger batteries? The new 50 has the old 55 battery (or at least one of a similar size)

Both I believe. Battery packs are up over 100 on some models. But they have added fancy aerodynamic witchcraft too. Still a big heavy 400bhp SUV so I can't see it being fantasticly efficient.

Yes the new 55 is over 100kw but I presume similar bhp to the existing (which is plenty)

Fantastically expensive also, makes a Porsche Taycan look cheap

Post edited by joe1303l on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Expensive to run is by comparison to other EVs. Still peanuts compared to other forms of motoring. I was getting 300Wh/km in my model X, vs 160Wh/km on the same roads in my model 3. Negligible cost difference considering my electricity is either free or 7c/kWh.

It's the same for the Q8 etron, a great car. I love Audis, would happily have one if there were no such thing as Tesla.

Electricity costs wouldn’t be a concern unless you’re very dependent on public charging but they could be well expensive to fix out of warranty. Audi parts are well pricey and it’s not the type of car your average Indy could do much with.

I don't think I'd be that comfortable out of warranty....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭creedp

That seems to be the attitude of a lot of people, even those well familiar with EVs. Should mean there will be a large pool of well priced out of warranty EVs in the next couple of years, if one is prepared to take a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The range hasn't improved any really.

I drove a Q4 50 e-tron from Dublin to Cork last week. Ran in efficiency mode, cruise set to 125 km/h and Climate to 20C. I was out of electrons by Cashel.

40 minutes on the Ionity to get back to 80%.

Its just not good enough to be practical.

• Advertisement

It would seem a lot of the motor trade here are very afraid of EV’s. Resale spooked now also on the back of the Tesla price cuts.

Advertisement