Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

"Congrats" 😂

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So no rebar in the gut for Joel this time. Saw some post online about the pacing of the episodes, you only meet someone, and they are dead. It's pretty fast paced alright.

The hospital and Jackson sections were great, love them monkeys and the dam looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another enjoyable episode I thought.

Really lovely to see Rutina Wesley, she is a really terrific actress even when True Blood went badly off the rail she was excellent.

It covered a lot of ground in an episode!

The old couple were terrific have to echo thst. I am guessing his brother will pop up again...a lot of build up to him reuniting and it was over pretty quick.

Joel's hearing really is causing some issues!

I'm not one of those "this is the best tv ever" people but the rapport between the two leads is great to watch. I can kinda picture the two of them eating cheese burgers on-set and giving each other sh*t about who was better in GOT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Decent enough episode - smart to pull in some Jackson stuff at this stage even if we don’t really see it in the first game. But I did feel Joel’s overnight about face was a bit too abrupt to really land as an emotional beat - just too sudden a leap from their fight their night before to their instantly friendly rapport the following day.

Very curious to see how they handle Left Behind next week - by far the best storytelling in the entire game series IMO (even though - or perhaps because - it’s a little character-based interlude), so keen to see what they do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

The actress is 44. Law school graduates in the US are usually at least 24 but she could be playing a character that's a few years older than she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Really enjoyable episode, alot of emotional scenes. It does remind me how action based the game was but you cant have that reflected all the time or joel and ellie would suddenly have a huge bodycount.

A knife in a tussle is no replacement for a shoot out and being impaled on rebar. Can series Ellie swim? I don't think it's come up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It did come up early on but the water was shallow enough for her to walk through

I thought the most recent episode really dragged in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: That was the best freakin episode so far! Ellie was so funny. Also feels moments with Joel and Ellie.

Ah what the f*ck!?! He's not dead is he?!! That freakin episode! I swear I was all chilled out after the deep feels moments earlier on back in the town. He's looking pretty bad. He was well pale and still bleeding out. I can't remember her being shown how to treat a wound like that. Could she push a tampon in as a guess? Soliders do that sometimes right? I don't remember any glue finding/using for wounds.

Fu*k!

The Contractor! We were cool! 🙂

Best scene was.. and only I think if watchers had been paying attention, gone with the show the whole time and got it on first watch..

The one where Ellie found out about Joels daughter.

Excellent work getting that feel done. Probably could rewatch it a million times and not feel that moment again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭bren2001

It came up in the hotel with Tess and Joel. No, she can't.

Very mild info from the game re wound treating knowledge

FEDRA school is where kids go to become the QZ guards. First aid training is included.

Those emergency wound closing "tampons" weren't invented until the 2010s IIRC and supergluing internal wounds is a very bad idea.

Is there a need to spoiler episode events?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think spoiler tags are only required for game based spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Absolutely loved that episode, it packed a lot in though. The way they made scene for scene from the games but in different settings, they are nailing it. Shimmer! And a possible glimpse of Dina! So many great Easter eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It wasn't actually a knife. The guy broke his baseball bat against a tree swinging at Joel. Then he stabbed him with the end of the bat that was still in his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭trashcan

I agree. The relationship between the two is great, and one of the main appealing things about the show for me. Loved tonight’s episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Number 1 rule... don't pull anything out if you've been stabbed.

Joel was right...he isnt as good as he used to be,rookie mistake😅

• Registered Users Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Women can, and do, get pregnant after 40 all the time. There are risks to it but it's not a sudden biological clock countdown to 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭trashcan

Bit like Franno in Love/Hate then ? Only no pain in the hole 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Enjoyed that, the town looked great, most other shows would've gotten a season out of a town like that....nope 24hrs and gone. Has to follow the pace of the game I guess.

Never played it so assuming it's why it's flying along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The latest episode was a little bit slow and light in action I thought. As per usual the strengths are in the production design and the Ellie-Joel relationship .

I'd agree the hype for the show is not proportionate to what we're seeing on the screen. It's a very good tv show and even a great tv show in places but it has some way to go before it's in the conversation for the best 50 tv shows ever.

Episode 3 was a prime example of critics and fanboys (and posters) losing the run of themselves - apparently if you didn't consider this one of the greatest tv episodes ever, you were a borderline homophobe. Pacing is a problem for the show and as it goes on you can see that sticking a bottle-episode so early in the series was not a smart move.

Post edited by facehugger99 on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,807 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"The latest episode was a little bit slow and light in action I thought. As per usual the strengths are in the production design and the Ellie-Joel relationship"

Seems to be a recurring misunderstanding. This show was never advertised as an action show. People just heard "zombies" and computer games and jumped to conclusions.

As for ep3 I don't think most people "can see that it was not a smart move"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,533 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think episode 3 was no different pace wise to a lot of the show so far. It had the majority of episode as character driven, with significant but short action pieces.

Similarly, episode 1, 4 and 5 were character driven with sporadic action.

If anything, episode 2 is the outlier as it was mostly action driven

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sorry, just re-read my post and didn't mean to sound like I was correcting you. Just wanted to point out about the bat because I was a bit taken aback with it myself when I realised. That's going to leave a much worse wound and was a pretty hardcore thing for them to throw in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Really enjoyed that episode. The line 'everyone, f*cking except for you' really got me in the game and it did again there!

The addition of the couple living in the cabin was a great bit of humour/levity.

Only thing was the lack of any infected/raiders during the (as Tommy called it) suicide mission en route to the University of Colorado. Otherwise, top marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah, I kinda wanted to stay with the Indian couple for a while.

And Ellie could have asked to take a rabbit. Cheeky little bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,807 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

She is trying to look like a callous hard asss to be like Joel is how I took the rabbit thing.

• Advertisement

Why are people expecting an action set piece show?

It's a show about the people inhabiting a post apocopalyptic world and their interactions/struggles, the reason to push them together is the continuing threat of fungal infection and her immunity. The infected are not the central premise of the show

Advertisement