Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 urbancowboy

Went to give them a go yesterday and new activation charge showed up so I left it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, even with the activation charge, the €25.98 for the first month is still nearly a tenner lower than the €35 I've been throwing at Vodafone so I went ahead with the port today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

They now have a one off connection fee of e12.99 If it says 25.98 per month then something is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm with 3 and it's brilliant, 20 euro a month I get unlimited data and some 3 calls free, I prefer the data as I'm 25 so suits me better, my next door neighbour is with 48 and she's paying 8 a month for free calls and texts to any network and unlimited data she's with them about 4 years,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah, it was just for the first month. I've gone through with the port and signed up for membership. If I don't like it then todoloo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

2 of my kids are on 48 but I'm taking them off (probably to GoMo) as they've both been unable to connect on recent school trips. It's beyond a joke that 48 (owned by major telco Three) are unable to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Was this recently? Roaming should have been sorted by manually selecting the roaming profile since last September and automatic roaming should work with the new SIMs since last month or so.

I can only vouch for the first scenario as I haven't been abroad since I ordered a new SIM but I was able to roam by manually selecting the roaming profile in November, whereas I'd never been able to successfully roam before.

Be interesting with the "new" so called roaming sims 48 are putting out lately when I do go roaming.My new roaming sim meant I had no service at all for 2 weeks when I installed it while based here.Be careful-do not change sims if close to a trip outside the Republic.48 webchat have not got a clue about the new sims.They try to suggest you are a new customer

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OrangeLavender

I hadn't been abroad since changing to 48 but just back from the UK and it worked perfectly. I had ordered a new SIM a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Activated my new replacement sim a few days ago, worked straight away.

There was no activation fee and my saved data in my Safe carried forward too.

• Advertisement

There was/is no activation fee for the new sims.They are being issued to existing customers.The old sims mostly worked for me.Any problems most likely caused by the roaming partner and occasionally 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I activated my new SIM about 2 weeks before I went on holidays to Budapest. Worked perfectly for the first 24hrs then dropped the signal entirely and I had to use the 48 SIM app to switch to manual to get it back.

It worked fine in manual until the end of the trip and I switched back to automatic on the last day and it connected fine. So bit of a mixed bag.

I left it for over an hour when the signal dropped initially, tried toggling airplane mode and rebooting, but it wasn't coming back on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭geotrig

Sames kids where away in UK and new sim showed the network but wouldn't switch/work either, they went through all the setting and app to try fix but nada !

Not very promising for my next trip off the island.

Anyone know if it's possible to change the number on a 48 account? I'm currently on their €8 a month plan and one of my kids needs a SIM so was hoping to be able to move him onto that and move myself to GoMo or Eir.

I would rather him on 48 as you can't run up a bill. I know I did port away at one stage for a couple of months when the roaming wasn't working and was able to port my number back and retain the €8 a month but not sure if that was a fluke or intended.

The e7.99 must have still been on offer at that time.Once you move to another provider now your e7.99 plan is gone.Your kid will be getting a different number as you are taking yours to GoMo,Eir etc I'd tried activating an old sim from 48(about a year ago) which I had from the 7.99 days-it was no go with webchat

I don't think it was still available as it was only last August. Maybe I got lucky by not losing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Edit: sorted.

Post edited by rhinosaurious on

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

You can order a replacement through the app. It's simple and automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Comreg closed the case.

Asked what the closing comment was.

"Contacted 48. 48 stated that the issue has been resolved. Closing."

So i was up the North yesterday. Phones stopped working as soon as we crossed the border and came back when we crossed back.

Both Sims changed very recently .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have 48 and notice that messages sent on WhatsApp take up to 5 min to be delivered. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Hadn't noticed any significant delay, but I haven't really tested it.

I haven't been to the north since switching sims but I'll see if it works in automatic mode next time I'm up. I used to have to toggle in the 48 SIM app every time.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You should make sure the APN settings on your phone are correct.

It's not unusual for data to work fine on your home network, even if you don't have the correct APN details configured (as the network can push the details to the device). But as soon as you start roaming on another network, you're snookered.

Was up North this Thurs-2nd March.Phone did not log onto UK networks as 48 make out with new sims(see other earlier posts).Had to toggle as before and eventually got data but calls/texts worked before data.During toggle process I was getting data roaming warnings.Phone reset to the Republic without toggling after crossing the border.A pain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Was abroad again in EU, different country and could not get the data to work. Strange when it worked with no issue 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I think 48 are messing with peoples heads trying to get any that are on their "lifetime" cheap rates to leave.

I bet if you are on the full rate you have a much better chance of data working when abroad. If COMREG were bothered id say report it to them, but from experience they are as bad as the energy regulator or the RTB. In other words, totally useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The roaming thing puts me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Anyone know how do you order a new sim if you were previous registered but now deactivated (ported away a few years ago).

Order new sim say email already registered. Log in to old account, order new sim is disabled.

(update - support deleted old email) :)

Register a new email address.Order a new sim card.On receipt of card,go to webchat and tell them you want to port back.Have serial number of card ready.Should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Heading up North next week - do I have any hope of data working? I'm on the original 7.99 plan. Was last abroad 2yrs ago and it didn't work. Had hoped it might have improved, but doesn't sound like it from reading posts here...

Advertisement