Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Man that's an amazing last mile! Brilliantly run and congrats on getting the sub 70 too.

I was on Boardsie watch. Got talking to a couple but didn't spot you. Might catch ya next year 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Brilliantly captured and great racing.

Delighted that you got sub 70 (but not surprised) - you're a great runner with so much more to come!

Pity I missed you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

That a superbly executed race, hadnt realised when I saw it first,how strong your finish was. Massive congrats. Also that's one good pacer and so true what he said to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fanbleedintastic E. So thrilled for you. Such an amazing performance 👏

It's so great to see both you and D having the race of your lives.

Living it through you guys.

Brilliant stuff, and cracking report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Class run and report, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow, everything about that is just phenomenal, really well done! You continue to inspire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Wow ! Well Done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks a mill everyone... still beaming😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

my goodness that was some finish!! well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Brilliant stuff E. Congrats on the PB and there is obviously a lot more to come this year. Loved the bit of just picking some arbitrary stranger to beat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Only just caught up on Raheny and Trim. Last time I checked in you were unsure of yourself but wow, look what you have done now! Huge congrats to you. Very well deserved. You are such a super runner with an amazing mindset.

Haha cheers, I always do the most random things in races🤣

Thanks so much, yeah it's mad to see the difference. Had a full NCT in the docs & finally got some answers on stuff that had been going on, the joys of being a woman🤪🤣

Mon 6th - Rest

Tues 7th - W/u, 3*1k eim, C/d

Had the choice of an easy run or EIM, went with the EIM as I feeling quite good after Sundays race(still on a huge high!!) Anyone at all that even showed a remote bit of interest heard about my last mile, I think I was quite animated reliving it over & over🤣

Weds 8th - W/u, 6*.5mile@6:10/15 off .25mile, 4*150m strides, C/D

Got out at lunchtime for this, headed into the Fettercairn park loop & noticed on the 1st rep that the wind was tough enough on parts. I enjoyed picking up the paces & controlling the efforts into the wind which was strongest on the path that goes up in a slight hill, thankfully was able to pick up nicely once I got past this part for each loop. Reps came in at 6:11,6:14,6:25,6:16,6:14 & 6:23. Overall happy with a nice solid effort.

Thurs 9th - 30 mins easy

Fri 10th - W/u, 3*1k eim, C/d

Another nice lunchtime run.

Sat 11th - 15min W/u, 2*20mins@HM off 5mins, C/d

Set out to the PP to meet S to do this session. A nice enough morning & lots of runners around, great to see. W/u done & the watch beeped to set off into the 1st 20mins. We eased into it aiming for around 7:05/10. Was feeling good, as we did a few laps of the furze/OS triangle. Again at any opportunity given I mentioned my last mile of Trim🤣 5 min rec went by quickly enough then set off into the 2nd 20mins, about half way into this I was feeling it & actually commented to S that this felt way tougher than the race last week, always the way! The 2*20min HM sections came in at 7:08 - 7:06. Very happy to have another session done. Headed back to the visitor centre for a cuppa but it was packed so walked across the THITW to grab a cuppa there, whilst walking across AMK came zooming by, a quick shout out & like that he was gone again!

Sun 12th - Boards Long Sunday run - 12.31miles @8:37 pace

Another gorgeous morning in the PP for the boards meet up. Myself S, C & D met at 9am & set off. We headed out of the park & a route S has used quite a lot. The miles flew by as we chatted & laughed & maybe a bit of slagging😊 It's such a huge difference running with people. D wasn't doing the full run so he headed off after we went back into the park & down near the Zoo, great seeing him again & great to see him building the fitness back up. Continued on with S & C, again passing so many other runners & walkers & people just out enjoying the good weather! Despite being told it was a 1hr 30min run🙄we did 1hr 45mins... really glad we did in the end as it was just so enjoyable! Got back to the carpark to be met by my 2 daughters & my grandson. We went into the visitor centre, my grandson delighted to meet his nannies running friends😊 A hot chocolate later & he decided to entertain S & C, shy at 1st but then as hyper as ever, loving the fact that C knew exactly who Bluey is😂 Once done S & C headed off then we went to the playground & then to find the Reindeer, my Grandson & oldest daughter were mesmerized with them!! A really lovely morning all round.

43.2 miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The only blueys I'm familiar with have nothing to do with children's TV ;-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

Just catching up. Super race and well done on the PB. Bluey is defo #1 kids tv program! :D

Mon 13th - Rest

Tues 14th - W/U, 11min Threshold, 5min jog, 4*1k@10k pace off 200m, 5min jog, 2miles@HM pace, C/D

Seen this on the plan & thought sh!t this looks tough! Got a half day in work for hours I had worked over so set off out to the PP, thought at least if I got to do it on the Furze/OS loop that I would at least feel a bit more comfortable with it. Weather was nice enough, warm with a breeze so I wore a running vest top as I knew I'd get very warm. Warm up done & I set off on the Threshold bit, using my HR data for this so staying in around the 165 but trying not to go over the 167. This came in at around 6:47pace for the 11 mins. 5 min jog & set off for the 4*1K reps @10k pace. I thought I might struggle with these, the wind was quite noticeable on Chesterfield & at the OS side but I was able to pull back a little as the other side felt that bit easier. The 200m off felt quite short so I wondered if I might start struggling as the reps went on, thankfully I didn't. Really happy at this stage that I went for the vest top! The 4 reps came in at 6:46,6:46,6:49 & 6:45 - very happy with this, nice & consistent. The 5min jog was very welcomed at this stage, gathered my thoughts together & concentrated on deep breathing in my recovery & shaking out my arms & shoulders before I set off for the 2miles @HMP. Again once I got into my stride here I felt quite strong. The HM miles came in at 7:06 & 7:07. Did my cool down then back to my car feeling very happy with myself, no need to have worried as it went really well(thank god!!)

Weds 15th - 45min easy

Nice lunchtime miles.

Thurs 16th - 70min easy/moderate

Set out at lunchtime with my HR zones set - 20mins easy, 25mins easy/mod, 25 mod. The HR seemed a bit all over the place for some of the start but eventually it settled down. Enjoyable run & I changed the battery in my HR monitor that evening.

Fri 17th - W/U, 20min@ 7:20/30, 5min jog, 15min @HM pace, C/d

Headed across to the park with the nice tarmac path loop for this. Got into a nice rhythm for the 20mins, then on my jog a woman & child came in with 2 dogs, she let them both off their leads & they ran all around the park. I got quite nervous, she was too far from them that if they ran for me there was no way she could get them so I decided to leave that park & head across to the other one. Not ideal but had to be done, this loop is way more unstable underground. I really had to concentrate on some parts as the path is in bits & would be easy to go over on your ankle. Anyways I got it done with the HMP coming in at 7:06.

Sat 18th - 30min easy

Nice easy plod.

Sun 19th - 15miles with 25min @HM pace

Arranged to meet S for this in the PP. This would be my 1st long run with some HMP in it & my longest run in a while so company was greatly appreciated. Set off for roughly 45mins easy, the wind was very noticeable on a fair bit of this, S had the route sorted so that we would start the HMP on the OS/Furze loop. We set off into a bit of a breeze and got a nice steady rhythm going. We were both working well as we looped & back into the wind on Chesterfield but adjusting the efforts accordingly. We had 2 loops to do & it was actually nice not really checking my watch just running alongside S. Not a lot of chatting going on as we were both working hard at this stage but feeling quite strong. Again I adjusted my stride, pulled my body up a bit taller & shook out my arms & shoulders, stuff I have been doing lately that seem to be helping. The watch ticked down & we completed the HMP at an avg of about 7:02. Happy to have this done we set off for the remaining easy miles. Legs really felt it towards the end but 15miles @ 8:28 overall, not bad at all!

Nice week overall & less than 3 weeks now till Bohermeen. Feeling happy with my training but sure you just never know what will be on the day of a race! Head down now for the remaining weeks with another tough enough week ahead. Also signed up for Dunboyne 10k a couple of weeks after Bohermeen, I haven't got an official 10k since since 2019(47:07) did manage 43:28 in a TT in 2020 so it will be nice to see where I am now😊

48.7 miles for the week

315.6 miles for the year to date

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

A nice week . I have been trying the run tall , chin up shoulders down , relaxing face etc when I feel a bit pressurised by the pace - it tends to steady me and gets back a nice unforced rhythm - interesting to see it’s a thing other people do as well.

I’m also eyeing up Dunboyne . Have you done it before ? What’s the course like ? Loads of nice 10ks around in April /May .

Thanks a mill. Yes I feel the same when I do it. The EIM reps were great for helping concentrate on form & running efficiency so I now try bring it into all my runs, especially the faster stuff, it really helps me refocus & makes me feel like I am running better.

I literally only booked it yesterday thinking in for a penny in for a pound with my racing 😉 I've never done it before so will be doing a bit of research on it myself! Hoping to maybe target some 5ks before going back into a marathon block, but we shall see what happens😊

• Advertisement

As far as I know there used to be a long standing fast 4 mile race in Dunboyne - 4 mile races fell out of fashion and they up graded to a 10k . I never heard anything on whether the tenk was fast though .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I might not the be the brightest but I forsee a 10k PB in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great session in the PP, that. Tough looking one alright, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Some super sessions being done - I do think that your HM and 10k times will tumble this year - some very good training that seems to suit you (which is important).

Isn't it mad how we worry about sessions prior to doing them and then they turn out to be not too bad! A mad lot we are.

Thanks a mill A, yes I agree 100% that it suits me & well I enjoy it so that has to count for a lot!

God yeah we are out own bloody worst enemies when it comes to our heads, thankfully most of the time our bodies prove us wrong😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Getting the body to overrule the head is the trick of it alright!

• Advertisement

Mon 20th - 30 V easy

Tues 21st - 45 Easy/Moderate - avg 8:16 mile

Weds 22nd - W/U, 5*1200@5K pace off 400, 4*150m strides, C/D

Set off at lunchtime for this & decided to run to the park I have been doing them in for the last few weeks. Was again a bit worried when I seen them on paper. Started into the 1st one & it felt ok, as I got to the desired pace I felt good. The wind was noticeable in parts of the loop but not the worst. I decided just to think about the rep I was in & not to fear how many I had left. I ran each rep quite well & felt strong, it wasn't easy I was working but I was very happy with it once done. The reps came in at 6:23,6:25,6:25,6:27 & 6:24. Enjoyed the buzz of the strides.

Thurs 23rd - 45 Easy

Fri 24th - 70 Easy/ moderate avg 8:37 mile

Sat 25th - W/U, 2*10mins LT off 3mins, 2min jog, 20mins HMP, C/D

Met S for this really didn't fancy doing this alone, Not an easy one at all. The wind on the furze was awful so it was more effort than paces. We were both really glad to just have it done.

Sun 26th - Long Run - 12.39mi @ 8:36 miles

Again met S for this & he had a route mapped out starting from Chapelizod, was a lovely morning & I got to try out my new sunglasses which I found brill, they didn't budge at all. Really nice run.

Total miles for the week - 51.8

Mon 27th - Recovery miles

Tues 28th - W/U, 5*1k@10k pace,off200, 5easy, 2 miles HM, c/d

Same park, same loops. Again this felt good, they are not easy by any means but I have been happy with the solid efforts I have been putting in, have never felt like a failure on any of them so this gives me confidence in myself. 10k reps 6:42,6:44,6:47,6:46,6:49. Happy with these efforts, HM miles 6:58, 7:07.

Weds 1st March - 40 easy

After a pretty stressful day was happy to have a nice easy run. My mind was in autopilot so I was not paying attention to my surroundings at all! I felt I should look down to my right & trotting along side me was a greyhound dog like santas little helper from the simpsons, he scared the sh!t out of me(in case anyone doesn't already know I am terrified of dogs not on their leads) I froze, he stopped, I looked at him & he looked at me as if to say hey why have we stopped? I tried to move towards the side of the road & he followed so I just stood still( I must state he was not threatening in any way at all but I was still afraid) Luckily a man walked by & the dog got bored with me sp he strted following him! I resumed my watch & continued my run alone!

Thurs 2nd - 50 easy/moderate avg 8:10 mile

Fri 3rd - W/U, 10*45sec hills, C/D

It was quite invigorating doing these in the rain, haven't done them in a while so happy to enjoy them.

Sat 4th - 30 V.Easy

Sun 5th - 90 mins with last 25mins @hm pace

Met S for this & we headed out of the park with the plan to finish with the 25mins on the Furze/ O/S loop. A lovely morning & some nice chats which made the run go very quickly. S had an opportunity to get rid of some of the competition for the HM title next weekend(quite a few of us doing them) namely me but thankfully he decided not too, as I was running on a very narrow footpath with a lady walking ahead of me I was going to go out onto the road & he obviously copped it &shouted go on the inside, as there were 2 cars approaching. Not content with trying to kill myself once as we were crossing the road heading towards the park there was traffic coming to turn & we were on the road & I didn't notice the car coming down the other lane going straight so I made a really stupid decision to run, very narrowly missed being hit... such a stupid thing to do! I'm surprised the car didn't stop & shout profanities at me to be honest. I really need to be more careful!!! Got a wave from AMK shortly after this just as we were heading to the park gates, little did he know I had just escaped the Grim Reaper twice in the space of 10 mins!! We started the 25mins just as we approached the gates & continued on around the loop twice. Was happy with the HM pace, think I may have been a little fast for one of the HM miles but I think that was more to do with the adrenaline rushing around my body which was very thankful to be alive🤣

Almost there now, can say I am very pleased with how this training block has gone. it certainly does not guarantee anything next Sunday(lots of prayers & candles lit for the weather gods!!) but it puts me in a good place both physically & mentally. I committed to this block of training & feel I executed it well, running every run to the best of my ability, for all the things in my life I may not be particularly good at, running is the one constant that I know if I work really hard at it I will be rewarded, again this doesn't necessarily mean always getting PBs but more about running a good race that you feel in control of from the start & that's what I am hoping to do on Sunday😊

Miles for the week - 40.1

Miles for the year - 410.8

Advertisement