Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

50k at the customs house easy- if anything it could be closer to 100k!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Jaysus that is creepy. Romantic indeed. Complete spoofer.

Why are people so angry about a legitimate, peaceful and organised protest? Isn't it way better than the angry cowards that stand outside accommodation centres in the dark shouting abuse? Surely that is the lowest of the low??

Let everyone protest in a dignified and honourable way.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

No the other stuff about NGOs and how young Irish people are being lead up the garden path.

The same people who will be living at home in their childhood bedrooms into their 30s unable to move onto the next stage of their lives.

Some people might be more concerned about the Somali guy for example who openly admits to entering the country on a false passport.

The state is legally obliged to feed and shelter him until his case is heard. He might be rejected and the state will be legally obliged to feed and shelter him until the appeal is heard.

The may again be refused and asked to deport himself. This probably won't happen.

We know nothing about him. His background, is history etc

Why is he here? Why must we share our resources with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Clearly you don't understand the situation if you fail to intuit the gravity of a Somalian entering Ireland using falsified documentation. Let's be clear that this person transited through multiple safe countries, before arriving in Ireland. The first act of that same individual, upon reaching our shores, is to transgress the laws of this country.

It's alarming that this scenario is becoming increasingly prevalent in our dysfunctional immigration system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

A person with the foresight to see where the future would lead us can't be called deranged in rational terms. The cheap insults though do come from the minds of people with questionable mental well being. He wasn't a Nazi either as you well know.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

PPS numbers issued in 2022 Irish 69070 out of a total of 305889. Draw your own conclusions .

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/a78027-statistics-on-personal-public-service-pps-numbers-issued/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

He lived for some time in Germany, France and Sweden before deciding that Ireland will be his forever home (talk about being fussy)....and he is claiming asylum using a false passport🤣 You just could not make this stuff up. Why did he travel on false documents ?? Perhaps he's a prison escapee, wanted for murder, rape, a pedophile ...who knows. Will he strike again ? Why did he have to leave the 3 other European countries he lived in before coming here, perhaps he's on the run from the law in those countries too - who knows ? How can immigration carry out background checks without proper ID ? Should all illegals arriving without any form of ID be locked up until their true identity is established ? The word is out there that Ireland is a soft touch, the land of milk and honey. No wonder the Nigerians call Ireland treasure ireland.

Last week an Algerian man was interviewed, also on RTE, he and his family had travelled from UK thru the North to Dublin. Apparently they were refused housing, welfare benefits etc. in UK when the authorities realised that they had entered the country illegally (according to him) - He also was claiming asylum status here, yet he admitted that he was an economic migrant hoping for a better life etc. Yet he was brazenly giving out about the lack of housing etc and was expecting that he and his family be provided with a house, social welfare benefits etc immediately - no questions asked. It's about time somebody in authority shouted STOP

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

Are you trying to tell me there's no direct flight from Mogadishu to Dublin?

Seriously though, it's interesting looking at it, the vast majority of flights from Somalia go to Istanbul, and then on to a major European airport (London, Amsterdam, Paris). The Turkish also had a gripe with the volume of immigrants entering their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just an observation - many of the migrants who’ve been interviewed lately on Irish media have distinctively British accents - mainly london/Essex - make of that what you will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

This is the responsibility of the department of Justice.

The regular minister approved an amnesty for illegals.

The temporary minister is Simon Harris

What a farce, what a soft target.

We deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I agree, I don't understand this situation hence why I was asking about it.

What countries did this person travel through?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Simon Harris will never ever do anything that rocks the boat. He only cares about his seat and power. Utterly useless. Did nothing for our health system either, nothing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

How many direct flights exist from Mogadishu to Dublin?

Skyscanner is your friend if you’d like to conduct some independent research..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is hardly a surprise though. If you are an asylum seeker and the only way you can get to a particular country is with a false passport, then you are going to take that option - I would do the same if I was in their position. It doesn't mean though that they are a criminal or a potential terrorist or rapist or whatever (no more than the undocumented Irish in the US are criminals or terrorists).

Ah fair enough. I was just wanting to know more about that specific case. I see someone has posted more info above.

Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Agreed. A lot of the calls that would reduce the flow of immigrants are DOJ ones - currently under Simon Harris.

Harris seems to be willing to let Leo go out on a limb with the robust borders rhetoric and see how it plays.

At the moment Harris appears to be doubling down on the pro NGO, pro immigrant stuff. He's much harsher in his language about protests.

If there's mileage in having the backing of the powers that be Harris will be their spokesman. If Varadkar is taking too much of a gamble Harris will be delighted to undermine him.

But if the wind is truly shifting direction watch out for a change of tune from Harris.

Harris is a very significant bellwether for the changes in mood that may be happening in FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Are you now alarmed that you know this person arrived here illegally after passing through multiple countries before getting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Leo go out on a limb with the robust borders rhetoric

IMO there's little risk for Leo in trotting out the spiel about being "fair and firm and hard" on migration, as long as he doesn't back it up with specific policy commitments, or none that the government wouldn't be doing anyway in all probability. As I was saying above, he has a long history of coming out with these apparently right-wing soundbites but doing little or nothing to flesh them out. Like when he came out with this

that sounds like he was trying to stake out some elusive middle ground on abortion but when you drill down is not incompatible in supporting a full-on liberal abortion regime, as he ultimately did. So as yet I'm seeing little sign the government won't broadly maintain their current course on immigrants and refugees...

Of course not. Nothing to see here.

According to one of our stellar intellects, it's identical to the 'undocumented' Irish in the US.

• Advertisement

Yes, passing through multiple EU countries with fake documents to get to Ireland does not add up for me.

But in a case were someone has say used false documents to get to an EU country and then made their way across Europe to Ireland - would that not seem odd?

Well we have no idea if he travelled through multiple different countries with fake documents.

We know he landed at his final destination with fake documents.

A destination where we will allow you in if you are entering illegally or not.

I am not sure other countries will let you in if you are entering illegally.

It is possible he passed through other countries with his correct documentation.

Do we know what was fake about the documents exactly? It's kind of what I asked you originally, I'm trying to understand the benefit in presenting fake documents in Ireland compared to potentially his real documents in this specific scenario. Could he not seek asylum with either set?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Apparently the protesters are pro apartheid too

It’s a little over half a century since I first took part in a protest against apartheid. I never thought it might be necessary to walk in a march against people who effectively want to introduce apartheid in Ireland

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Absolutely. There's nothing substantial there. Yet.

A year or two before the same sex civil marriage stuff he was on record saying children needed a mother and father.

He also did everyone's head in by showing up at Latin Mass in Harrington Street this time last year.

"By their fruits shall ye know them"

But you don't care about that answer, just like you didn't care about the answer about what other countries he travelled through.

You are throwing out irrelevant questions to avoid answering if you are alarmed he is in irealnd illegally.

What is relevant is that he moved to Ireland illegally and should be deported.

Would you not agree he should be deported?

He's really not going to like it when we unleash cthulhu.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The article will get more views than the slogans he implicated he’s seen or heard around of “Ireland for the Irish”

Most of the responses here simply gripe about the tourism industry, which seems completely out of key with the lads article.

It would have been nice of him to journal where he heard that chant or how prevalent it actually was

• Advertisement

I said already I was alarmed. I'm not sure what your issue is but I'll leave you to it.

Advertisement