Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

My understanding is it’s very unlikely from mid 40s without fertility treatments, and the character would have to be 45 at least for it to be remotely plausible that she was an assistant DA twenty years earlier.

And given they live in a zombie apocalypse I doubt they have access to fertility drugs, and even if they did, would be much inclined to pursue to higher risk pregnancy.

Because it’s based on a game that had big action set pieces.

Because the equivalent section in the game to this episode had a big one (without infected as it happens).

Because Joel said he wanted Tommy to take Ellie because he was afraid he was old and slow and would get her killed, then changed his mind for no apparent reason, when they could have shown him proving to himself he was still capable in a big action set piece.

The game set pieces were just that, a game. The story was never about the infected, it's about Joel and Ellie and the world.

It’s set in world full of peril, from both infected and, often more frightening, from other humans. This is the second time they’ve had an episode that was that just a bit too cosy. Once they were inside the town it felt like there really was no threat, especially given that Joel’s whole reason for wanting to offload Ellie was his fear he wasn’t up to dealing with those perils any more, which really felt like it was setting things up for an action scene where he learns that is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He didn't "change his mind for no reason"

He asked Tommy because he was scared and then overcame that fear a bit. He still said at the end he thought Tommy was a better choice but let Ellie choose after the very important conversation they had the night before.

• Advertisement

Her being an assistant DA does seem a bit of a stretch. I get they want to show she would have experience with being an authority figure but could choose something else.

Yeah, slept on it and “overcame that fear a bit” hardly makes for compelling drama for me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Joel is willing to take Ellie despite feeling like a failure because he's realised that when push comes to shove, he doesn't want to lose her. Thinking he saw Sarah, his argument with Ellie, thinking about how Tommy has a child on the way and has a life in Jackson.

He's afraid of not being able to protect Ellie, but during the night he realises he's even more scared of losing Ellie altogether. So he decides to leave the decision up to her and she instantly says she wants to go with him.

It's a personal choice based on desire and wants rather than proving himself to be capable. A big action set piece just wasn't needed. The game had big action set pieces because they had to have it for gameplay, but if you consider the amount of people & infected Joel would have killed in the game by that point, then Joel is superhuman and the raiders and infected would no longer feel like a threat in the show. Every encounter should feel like life or death. We had decent action scenes in the last two episodes (the raiders attacking Joel in Kansas City and then the infected fight leaving Kansas City). This episode just didn't a big action scene.

Well didn't make compelling drama and "no apparent reason" are not the same thing.

Also you are saying no peril but the lad just got stabbed with a baseball bat.

I think what we are seeing is far more realistic than the usual zombie/raider Rambo style killing machines you usually get. If they were offing hoards of infected every episode it would feel too far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The dramatic tension and emotion exceeds any action for me in this. Also the fact that it is unpredictable adds more tension. Excellent episode, love the pacing.

• Advertisement

Yes, there was stuff at the beginning and right at the end. And I wasn’t expecting infected at this point, rather unfriendly people (which we got at the university). Also an action set piece doesn’t mean over-the-top zombie hordes. Two guys in a fistfight can be an action set piece.

“No apparent reason” means no reason that we saw. He just changed his mind overnight offscreen.

Anyhow, I’m not going to keep arguing this point. Clearly it worked for some viewers, and that’s great, but far from the only person who felt Joel’s U-turn was too sudden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think there needed to be a big action setpiece or anything - I think the big cul-de-sac sequence last week was too much of a big Hollywood spectacle, much like it was in a game. I much prefer the show when it's in a quieter, more meditative mode. But I do think Joel's u-turn felt pretty abrupt in action here. It just jumped from them having a big, genuinely mean fight to them immediately and cheerily making amends. Felt like it needed a small additional scene or two for that emotional switch to click. All IMO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

So will season 2 adapt TLOU Part 2, because I dont want go though another shitstorm from people over the ...controversial plot choices that happened in Part 2 all over again haha

It probably would have felt a bit abrupt regardless of when or how it happened as it's very much a spur of the moment decision, but I think we got enough throughout the episode to show why Joel made the decision he did. After their argument there were the short shots of Joel thinking about Sarah, hanging Christmas ornaments and stuff. Then in the stables Joel says he was going to steal a horse and go about half an hour earlier, but then decided Ellie deserves a choice. So I think it was just when it came down to it, Joel just couldn't go ahead with leaving Ellie. After his fight with Ellie, I'm not really sure what other scene could have bridged that gap. Another discussion with Tommy would have felt redundant. Joel hearing Ellie crying or something would probably have damaged Ellie's character and lessened the impact of the final shot where we truly see her full vulnerability.

I like how it played out. It's a decision Joel makes based on emotion and needs/wants rather than any kind of logic or realisation after hours of thinking about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given this episode introduced settings and characters only seen in TLOUII rather than the first game, it's fair to assume they're planning towards adapting the second game. I'd be surprised if they strayed too far if Druckmann remains involved anyway. But not going to discuss anything in detail as - reasonably - there are plenty of people in this thread who haven't played the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭De Bhál

The couple in the cabin at the start, the woman was the Doctor's receptionist in that show from early 90's called 'Northern Exposure'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

I was reminded from elsewhere they skipped over a pretty important thing

The photograph of Sarah that Tommy got from their old house that Ellie steals.

Nice bit of foreshadowing with what Joel did with the Indians too

It didn't come across like that.

I think the rebar was a better idea because it forced them to remove it instead of Joel pulling it out which he, and Ellie, should know not to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im a bit roll eyes at these scenes, I dont mind anger, a bit of PTSD , but all this waaaa waaaa Im getting old and self doubt cr'p is a bit tiresome.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Don't know how to do spoilers but, it wasn't xxxxx who took it and it wasn't xxxxx in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought that was the best episode so far alongside the Bill and Frank episode. Well paced, compelling, terrific acting, good character building.

I didn't personally find the u-turn too abrupt; because the reasoning behind it was fairly simple. Joel is suffering panic attacks because he's increasingly afraid he's not able to keep Ellie safe, and he can't stomach the thought of being responsible for her death.

They have their moment and on reflection Joel realises that by trying to absolve himself of that burden, he's completely failing her in a different way. I don't think it required anything beyond what we were shown, from his heart-to-heart with Tommy and the confrontation in the bedroom.

I think the blend of action and drama is perfect. The setting is realistic rather then delivering action for the sake of action, and as a result there's far impact and weight when the action and violence does present its head.

I don't understand someone saying the commune feels "too safe". Isn't that the entire point, to stay alive as best they can in a heavily sustained fortified and democratically-run enclave in a remote frozen landscape, safe from the threats of the new world which they want no involvement in.

It is fairly safe relative to the state of the wider world, like the QZ's are, with the real and ongoing potential threat being other people - but it'd be extremely cheap and a break in realism for a massive raider army or gargantuan horde to abruptly appear to coincide with Joel and Ellie's arrival for the sake of action.

This is the road The Walking Dead went down and it turned into a cyclical pantomine. Move to area X, encounter Y settlement of people, they want what you have and it all plays out ala Groundhog Day...over, and over....and over, again. It was a total miserable failure of a show narrative wise.

The peril in TLOU comes from the purposeful journey from a safety bubble into the vast, lawless, apocalyptic unknown, and the fact that the biggest threat posed is from other survivors - something it's captured extremely well by not overplaying the infected either, and establishing Joel's and Tommy's murky backstory.

We also see how humanity to a certain degree can't help but revert to type at a leadership level even when faced with a total existential crisis. I'd utterly hate to see them chucking in random gunfights and horde attacks every week for the sake of action. It feels absolutely perfect to me as it is.

Again, don't know how to do spoilers but, in the game, Joel's U-turn is more abrupt. He didn't even sleep on it.

I remember thinking, "Why has he changed his mind?" In the TV show at least, it shows something

We shouldn't even be discussing the games? In particular the sequel game...

Didn't one of us set up a thread in the games forum for game players who are watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thread with full spoiler discussion.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058280128/the-last-of-us-megathread-spoilers#latest

Tommy took the photo from the old house. I can't remember if it was Sarah in the picture. Been years since I've gone near a game, never mind TLOU. Never played Part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

Tommy used to be with the Fireflies, then was out and about one day and came across Maria and her crew, decided to move to Jackson and that’s why he didn’t know the Fireflies had moved, as Jackson doesn’t have any contact with the outside world?

Do I have that straight? How long ago is he meant to have ditched the Fireflies? Apologies if it mentioned this in the episode..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Another absolutely brilliant episode to what has been a fantastic tv series. Some really top class acting from both Pedro and Bella this week and some nice little bits of humour.

Pretty much. Unknown how long passed between Tommy leaving the Fireflies and meeting Maria/ending up in Jackson. But yeah, Jackson doesn't allow radio communication in order to help keep their commune safe and hidden, so he doesn't know where the Fireflies currently are (but knew they had been working on a cure at the University Joel and Ellie went to at the end). In the first episode Joel speaks with the radio guy in the Boston QZ and Joel is concerned because Tommy hasn't sent Joel a message in about 3 weeks. So given the time between the first episode and this episode, about 4 months have passed. Maybe Tommy has been in Jackson longer and had been leaving to send Joel messages or something, we don't know. Joel just knew Tommy last checked in from somewhere in Wyoming.

• Advertisement

Tommy hadn't been out of contact with Joel for that long, months at most, not years. Or at least that's the impression I got in the first episode so Tommy must've been secretly transmitting. Maria did shoot him a look when she mentioned no radio contact.

Advertisement