Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naples/Amalfi Coast Trip tips/suggestions

• 10-02-2023 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Planning an 8 night trip in the last week of April to Naples and the Amalfi coast for myself and the OH. Have a vague plan in my head of an itinerary after some googling but I'd definitely like to hear any suggestions or alternate ideas if anyone has done a similar trip? Looking at the following:

Day 1: evening flight arrival, stay in Naples near train station

Day 2: Train to Sorrento, accommodation here for 4 nights, first day spent exploring Sorrento

Day 3: Boat tour from Sorrento to Positano/Amalfi/Ravello

Day 4: Day trip from Sorrento to Capri via boat

Day 5: Day trip to Pompeii

Day 6 - 8: 3 nights in Naples

I've booked nothing so far but it feels like enough time for a good trip. I know you can also DIY it and get buses between Sorrento and the other towns at a fraction of cost but I don't mind shelling out a bit for a nicer experience but my only thought would be would you get enough time in the towns on a day trip? I know nothing about the Amalfi coast except seeing incredible looking photos over the years! On Naples, again I haven't heard much except that the food is great but the city itself is a bit rough?

Would be great the hear from others, as I say I've booked nothing yet so happy for holes to be poked in this plan to make the most of the time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Naples is a hole! There is a lovely little town called Salerno about 20 mins by train from Naples, it is really quiet and very Italian. It has a little beach and cute little side streets. It has a direct train to Pompeii too. When we stayed there, we got a bus to Amalfi and got a boat back, which was an ideal way to see the typical coastal views.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have done this trip and your itinerary looks very similar to mine from what I can remember. My only regret was staying a few days in Naples. It's the only city in Europe where I can say I have felt a bit unsafe. Give it a day and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I'd agree with the opinions on Naples. By far my least favourite Italian city. Head further south towards Calabria if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Thanks for suggestions folks. I've booked the flights anyway and will broadly stick to the plan around the Amalfi coast but may just do last night in Naples for the flight home next day, or just use it as a base for last day or 2 to go elsewhere for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Don’t stroll around Naples after dusk, it can become very threatening, stay close to hotel you are staying in & don’t wear expensive watches or jewellery, talking from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

If you are in Capri take the ski lift to the top. Breathtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not true at all about Naples, I've been to the city on 3 occasions and it's wonderful! I've walked all around the central city areas by day and night on my own and never once felt threatened or unsafe..

One piece of advice however is Don't stay near the train station... Last time I was there i stayed in the Pallonetto area and it's stunning.. Naples is a very walkable city and you can get the local bus or taxi's around too..

I have also stayed in Salerno and it's a great base for exploring the Amalfi coast, much less crowded and stressful than a major city like Naples..

The Salerno harbour has loads of regular boats going along the coast, head out to see Atrani and have lunch there... catch the boat back to Salerno..

Do another day out to Positano.. and then a full day cruise out to Capri and back to Sorrento ..

Thanks Tenzor, did a bit of googling and suggestion seems to be that they've been gradually cleaning up the city since the early 2010's or so. I think I'll base us there for the last 3 nights and should we not be feeling it, can do a day trip out to Salerno while staying in the city.

I've booked first 4 nights in Sorrento and definitely putting aside a full day for Capri, the ski lift looks like a good shout too!

Re the train station, I've heard its dodgy alright (like a lot of major European main stations unfortunately!), I'm looking at Centro Storico area for the 3 nights, pretty close to archaeological museum, would you recommend this as an okay area to stay? I do have 1 night booked not too far from main station when we arrive but its purely logistical, as we land at 7pm and will just be using it for sleep before getting train next morning to Sorrento.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭cobham

We took a bus direct from airport to Sorrento. It was a long wait between the early arrival of the flight til bus departure (2pm??) and it was full with standing room only by time we left. It took us to train station in Sorrento and from there we could walk to hotel. I slipped on tiled floor and damaged knee so did not get about much. Other half went to Pompei with train, not to be missed.

I've walked around that area looking for an ATM(cash is king in Naples!), it's quite congested and seems to be a big thoroughfare in the city, not far from the San Gennaro di Jorit Agoch mural which is quite nice...and the world famous Pizzeria da Michele isn't far away either...

The area around the train station is quite congested and some local markets nearby which are quite hectic during the day, though i'm sure you'll have booked your taxi from the airport into your hotel..

When you arrive just don't get a massive shock if you've not been to the far south of Italy much! 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Just back from Naples, it certainly is a busy place but I have to say I never felt unsafe there. Like any major city you need to be sensible but we (2 adult females and a 12 year old) felt comfortable walking around even at night, including quite late after the Napoli match! In recent times the places I have felt most dodgy in traveling were around the train station in Brussels and in the US (lots of people out if it and thus unpredictable - standard hawkers just require common sense).

PompeiI is amazing, get a tour by an archeologist. As others have said cash is king in Naples but weirdly there aren’t that many atms.

That's very true about Naples, there's no ATM's! So bring plenty of cash with you as there's also an expectation of tipping in restaurants/cafe's etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭recyclops

I disagree with a fair amount here I think if your going out that way it depends what holiday you want, I've been over a few times and love the unapologetic nature of the Neapolitans and the city itself. Its not as beautiful as Florence but it has its own beauty in its hustle and bustle and if that's not your cup of tea ( too many it isn't ) you wont see past the graffiti and constant noise of the place. I once had a Canadian describe Naples as being the Rock n Roll of Italy compared to classical music of Florence, and couldnt put it better myself

As said above the area around the train station is the same as all European cities but a quick 3/4 stop metro and your fine, I often stay up around the Piazza Gesu Nuovo, lovely couple of bars and restaurants ( Oak Napoli being a fav craft beer haunt, has a great vibe ) The quartieri Spagnoli has some of liveliest streets and restaurants too, as said above you'll be fine once you have your wits about you. There is a free walking tour that runs from the castle Nuovo daily around m,10/11 and its well worth going on early in your Napoli trip so you can get your bearings about the city etc, The catacombs of San Gennaro whilst being a bit of a trek up is also well worth a visit.

I've stayed out in Vico Equinse and found it lovely in the evening but like Sorrento/ Capri anything more than a day and you'll be bored unless your want a sea/ sun holiday and the Train in and out of Sorrento/ Naples does be very crowded and doesn't run too late.

Id recommend going to a Napoli game more if you get the time, its a wonderful experience cheap as chips ( relative to sports events here) and you will be safe as houses, the club are playing exceptional at the mo and you could get lucky that the win the Serie A while your there, considering going over when they do as it'll be some party.

Another thing I would suggest is if your are only planning a day in Pompeii you should do yourself a favour and visit Herculaneum instead, the Ruins are smaller, less crowded and so much better preserved than Pompeii ( due to it being covered mainly in Mud as it was on the coast ) Pompeii is very good but its a bit bland after a hour or two and each building looks similar to the last, but having been too both sites twice ( last time in October) Id be telling everyone to focus on Herculaneum and visit Pompeii if you have the time after.

Thanks recyclops, will keep all of that in mind, particularly Pompeii/Herculaneum. I'd love to hike Vesuvius but I don't think herself would be up for it really so I might look at that on a potential return trip. If you have any more suggestions for restaurants or good bars, please let me know, will definitely check out the craft beer place. Think we're going to be around 2 metro stops from Spagnoli area so will keep this in mind.

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about the perceived danger or unsafe reputation of the city as I've spent a weekend in Sao Paulo by myself which I would have to assume would be rated a lot higher in terms of danger and I had no problems at all while there.

Regarding Capri, what would the general consensus be on a day trip there? Would I be better to book an organised boat tour that included time on the island or just get one of the commuter boats from Sorrento (where we'll be staying first few days) and DIY it? I was leaning towards DIY but general consensus online seems to lean towards a boat cruise, with one suggestion to do one that skips the blue lagoon as its very overrated and getting into it can take forever due to the queues? The point being made that the commuter boat can end up being close to same price and you miss out on seeing certain aspects on the island. I'm happy enough to do the cruise but I'd like enough time on the island to go up and do the chairlift to Anacapri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭recyclops

Regarding the Vesuvius hike, both Pompeii/Herculaneum stops on the train have buses that run direct up to the coach stop top of Vesuvius ( around 3/4 up) you then have a quick 20 min hike to the crater and can do a loop of it, most of the buses give you around 2 hours on the crater before returning.

My tip for that would be to aim to arrive to either stop around , 09:00 - 10:00 do Vesuvius first then stroll around the sites in the afternoon when they are quieter as most of the day trips are gone by that stage.

Oak is around 5 mins stroll from Dante stop, small enough but great selection and lovely vibe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Aah Naples. We had an hour or two to kill between trains (Pompeii - Naples - Rome) on the way back to Rome.

Heard so much bad things about the around the train station and struggled to think how to kill an hour or two.

Straight across the road to a dodgy looking shop (with loads of dodges standing outside drinking), few bottles of beer and pretty much joined the dodges. Didn't get a 2nd look from anyone, gave a bottle or two away to a randomer and was returned with a smile.

This was during the day but felt completely safe. We're a couple mid 30's... we're not easily intimated. But it's not a pretty area, even Stevie Wonder could tell you that.

Great way to pass an hour.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was followed by a bunch of lads one night coming back from the supermarket in the area of the train station and I don't think they were looking to help me with my shopping. It's the only time I've felt a bit threatened when travelling. I suppose just be aware of your surroundings.

Advertisement