Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,325 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

McKee was everywhere last night. He made a good few mistakes along the way but I always think its better to have the instinct to be involved in everything and work on whatever skills were lacking.

What's the craic with Alex Soroka? He was playing AIL this weekend. I'd have thought this is exactly the tike when he'd be getting decent gametime with the internationals away. Is he coming back from injury and needed the AIL gametime or is he out of favour?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think its just a measure of the depth available to Leinster. Even with Baird, Conan Dorris and VDF retained in the Ireland squad Leinster played Ruddock, Penney, Deegan with Connors as substitute.

3 full internationals there.

Unless someone is leaving I can't see Soroka or Sean O'Brien being kept. Nothing against either player. Just the numbers don't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I am totally open to him going absolutely nuts and (not that he has to) proving me wrong. Hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Joe McCarthy is our for the remainder of the Six Nations with an ankle injury. Hopefully it's not a long term thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought Ala'Alatoa had a poor game. Is his scrummaging weak lately? Overall, he's been a good signing and has 40 appearances already. He didn't have much of an impact.

We were not good on 2nd viewing. A lot of errors and to Dragons credit, they had good linespeed and reads. We still won though. Some read by Luke to swipe that try!

• Advertisement

Yeah fair one. It's hard to see how they can all get gametime. I wouldn't begrudge the lads who move to get a starting place.

I don't watch much premiership but an Exeter fan mate says Dunne has been a good signing for them. And ROL is a steady stand in for the front line players. Josh Murphy is having a good season and starting plenty of games at connacht too.

Agreed about lads moving for match time. According to some rumors, Sean O'Brien is off to Leinster West next year. Connacht will be getting a decent player if it happens.

I was disappointed to see Dunne and ROL leave but, that's life. They are doing fairly well at Exeter and fair play to them.

Leo doesn't appear too happy with the performance. RTE had an article on it saying the dressing room was down afterwards.

Jesus, we are spoiled. Bonus poinnt win, young lads gaining valuable experience, Boyle making his debut, Lee Barron in the squad. Other forums there's critical posts about the front 5.

While this performance was so so, how about we give the opposition credit for putting us up against a physical hard evening? This is the type of experience that sets young players up to improve. I guess that's part of the reason that I thought Ala'Alatoa was poor. Someone on the forum saying Ross Molony was very poor and Deeny also. Molony was ok as was Deeny. Deeny made lots of hay in the last quarter.

These are the matches that test our depth. Our depth looks fine. Maybe some lads had a blip? Ruddock and Penny carried us for spells. I would say the 9 position is not were it should be. Foley hasn't kicked on and Nick isn't very good. Lots of work to do to get ready for Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Moloney had a poor game by his usual standards. I Thought Deeney went well enough. Deegan was fairly quiet too.

Scrums were at lottery as they always are with Adamson. Both teams taking the piss to see how far they could push him. Dragons had great line speed aided by the fact they were never close to being inside all night. Don’t know what the AR was looking at but they were generally lined up in line with the ball at every ruck.

Leinster were sloppy and lacked direction at times. Kept trying to force things when they didn’t need to. Just a lot of inaccuracy and I’m sure that’s what Leo was referring to. When you can some away from a 43-14 win and feel the performance was poor. It shows where the standards are set.

I think the 6 substitutes at once was a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

With the Welsh regions in a mess with players contracts ending at the end of the season, wondering is there any gem of a player Leinster could sign given that's its a world cup year. Looking at players like Vaea Fifita, Sam Lousi and Lopeti Timani who could give us power and dynamism in the row and might not be too expensive to sign.

Good thinking, but I'd be inclined to give the kiddies the reins. They've become gems themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

It is good thinking, but I too prefer this promote from within for squad places approach. For better or worse, buying in squad players makes me think of MOC!

I agree. The big success in European Cups has involved some massive signings. But I'd prefer to go with the local lads, for better or worse. Even if they get beaten by whatever team Will Skelton is playing for, I'd prefer to do it with mostly locals (and Jason Jenkins).

The lads coming through show decebt potential so I'm happy to give them a chance even if it means falling short in the final. The integrity or the team and the ethos is at stake. They're already a great team to follow and watch.

Edit: or maybe just splash out and buy Skelton, just to take him off the market...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Thought he bought in reasonably good players, no? Te'o, Triggs? Tuqiri was a disaster but that was injury related rather than quality, likewise Kane Douglas should have been a great signing.

Maybe he was referring to MOC complaining he couldn’t bring in more players?

Leinster have an identity and a pathway that is the envy of others. Why change it. Bringing in players from abroad is costly and would hamper development of not just Leinster, but Ireland. I don't mind the odd signing and agree we do need some signings but, we've excelled at development of home grown players and the contributions to the international side and other provinces prove this.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Cullen brought in Triggs. He was a replacement for Kane Douglas who left Leinster more or less at the same times as MOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Because you always need outside voices. people who come from beyond the pathways you have. Its not changing anything as Leinster like all provinces have always needed outside voices to reach the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Leinster are likely to send 2 locks and Baird to the RWC and the IRFU will likely set out that they are rested after the tournament and only play Champions Cup rugby between the Six Nations. Given Leinsters injury record of lads pulling up in the captains run or warm up it would be wise to have a bit of depth at that position. Deeny and hopefully O'Tighearnaigh will still get game time and develop.

• Advertisement

The scheduling next year from a Leinster pov, is difficult. Certainly, squad depth will be crucial. But as always, the young lads will be counted on to hold the fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jayno66

Does anyone know if Lifestyle/Adidas plan to restock the home jersey? The only size available is XS on the Lifestyle website, and that's been the case for at least a couple of months now. Surely they're missing out on a lot of revenue by not restocking.

Would like to pick up the current jersey as it's the best in years. Have heard Castore might be replacing Adidas next season, and not a fan of their stuff at all.

It’s possible that this is Adidas last year. So maybe they don’t want to over produce. Though having said that, there were stock issues last year too. So it might not be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Rumoured that we're going with Castore for the next set of jerseys. If Saracens' jersey is anything to go by, that would be pretty grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

We brought 4 second rows to RWC19 and I don't see why we would change that unless Andy sees Baird as covering both backrow and second row (which recent evidence does point to)

Back row is a more attritional position statistically so he might reason that we take an extra back row with Baird covering which means Joe Mc gets left at home. Logistically this isn't an issue as he can link up with the squad in 5 hours.

It would be nice from a Leinster POV to have big Joe for the early part of the season.

Because I have a nagging suspicion that Jenkins will be a great chance for the South African squad for the RWC. Especially if Leinster get a good cup run this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Pretty sure theres a rule at the RWC that any injury replacements called up to a squad can't join the team for 24 or 48 hours. It's to make it fair on teams who have to call someone in from the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

That's interesting. I never knew that.

The point still stands though. I think the travel schedule had an impact (however minor) on selection in 2019 and given the whole Ed Byrne getting to NZ fiasco over the summer I think it will weigh on Farrells mind too.

An 1-2 hour flight to France with no material time difference is a notable benefit to us and could afford us some luxury to our selections.

Having said all that, at this point in time I think picking 4 locks is still a sensible call for the RWC and Joe Mc is one of those 4. But a lot could change in that time.

I'd be delighted if he made the RWC squad. But with my Leinster scarf on, it would be great to have him for that window too

How serious is the injury? It's really unfortunate for McCarthy as he could have got on the bench this week.

If we are playing the top end sides at the start of the new campaign, we could be playing catch up. A different look for us.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

McCarthy is out of the 6N anyway so it must be bad enough.

• Advertisement

If McCarthy is out long term, I'd be flogging Deeny and Molony. I'd ease Henkins back. I think we're fairly good still with Baird and Ryan. Another injury though and it looks bare.

O'Tighernaigh should be in the academy next year. I wonder if they would put Soroka in the row as cover. Unless he's off to Munster.

From a position of strenght a few years back, another injury could shyte up the season. If we'd still have Dunne or Murphy it wouldn't be an issue.

Advertisement