Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to move out of rented accommodation urgently but having to give 50-odd days notice?!

Options
  • 21-02-2023 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've been living in my current place over 2 years. When I say it's hell, I'm probably insulting hell. Nightmare neighbours. Badly affecting my mental health. I'd sign myself in only the mental health system is probably the one thing worse than the housing system here.

Anyway I need out as soon as possible before it gets even worse. I looked on daft. And if it's not those scammy sounding companies like hostingpower (maybe they're not that bad but I haven't heard the best reviews), people expect tenants to move in immediately. How is that actually possible when you have to give so much notice to your current landlord? Is there any way around it.

I contacted HAP and they were no help at all. Completely dismissive and reminding me that they were only dealing with money. I was under the impression they were there to help tenants If there were problems? Contacted threshold but they've a history of not responding and RTB have a huge backlog. So could anyone give advice on how I could get out of here sooner? Moving home and sharing aren't really options for me either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

are the neighbours renting? if so, can you contact the landlord about issues?

re your own landlord, have you spoken to him/her? most would be agreeable to a months notice especially in current market

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LookingForAnswers

Already have. Nothing has changed. If anything it's gotten worse. The damage is done and irreversible. My only remaining option is to move out. I don't feel comfortable here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Find somewhere else.

Then negotiate with your current LL. The 50 days can be reduced if you both agree. And if you are moved out anyways, they have an incentive to be agreeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭89897

Speak to your landlord, they may be happy to have a shorter notice period. They should have no problem getting people in to replace you ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

Talk to your own Landlord and agree shorter term of notice. should be possible.

• Advertisement

True. Although I can only claim HAP for one place. I will have to talk to him and see if anything can be done. I'm sure he'll be glad to not have my stressed out ass contacting him ever again 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You haven't really told us the problem with your neighbours!

Also how come you didn't know hap only deals with the payment? Why were you contacting the RTB for.... It is not your landlord fault so you seem to ring the wrong places.

Tell your landlord you want to move fast, I am sure he be glad to see the end of this.

Living the life

There are constant problems and they just keep escalating. I'd rather not go into detail on here because it would take forever. Its not my landlords fault at all. I contacted RTB because I assumed they'd be able to tell me If I can leave on shorter notice. I'm completely lost and nobody else could help so I just contacted who I thought might know something. But I'm going to talk to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yes, i get you. Your landlord should be only one who can help you and let you go with short notice.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you're looking for a property that accepts HAP you could be looking a lot longer than 55 days tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Depends on the part of the country the OP is in, for instance there’s a lot in towns and villages more than happy to take HAP, because it’s guaranteed and jobs etc in those areas aren’t, and people who are working tend to own their own houses.

If it’s in Dublin or another city going to need a lot longer than 55 days for somewhere without HAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Theres a very high chance these days that your landlord wants out before any extension to an eviction ban.

I think if you aproach him and ask him can you move out with a week or two notice that you will find he is thinking about selling up anyway when its empty and he would be very happy to oblidge.

Cant hurt to ask him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Can you find somewhere with in 50 days?

If so get cash together to bridge holding your current place and the hap moving over to the new place.

Give your LL 50 days notice

Find a new place and move but you will effectively be paying for both places at the same time.

If you can't find anywhere with in 50 days you need to be able to cancel the notice, not sure if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Nope, but it doesn’t take a genius to work them out. There’s even some in Leinster

Advertisement