Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

MCU had 3 of the top 8 grossing movies in 2022 and 4 of the top 15 in 2021, including the highest grossing movie of the year by more than $1 billion on number 2.

They're doing that with mostly tier 2 or 3 characters.

If that is 'rapidly dying' then god help every other movie studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm sure nothing major is mentioned in White Wolfs post but please mind for spoilers here on the general thread for a couple of weeks. Go Quantum Manic with them over on the films thread. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I was conscious of that Flazio, hopefully I didn't give anything away. I'll move further posts to the other thread that Foxtrol thankfully bumped.

As a general comment I'd agree with Foxtrol's last post; there's no panic here. They have the X Men and FF still up their sleeve so as long as competent people are in charge they're still good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

audience reviews differing to critics . more or less every big release these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that film was supposed to come out in July, its got bumped for Haunted Mansion, reshoots? , no faith in the movie?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The Christmas market for cinema seems to be better than the summer.

Which Avengers are even left on world at this stage to help out that Wakanda would see as being of any help to them versus their technology, and the general arrogance regarding it?

The funeral is a fair point but who is left that T'Challa would have been close with? Bucky is the only one that really stands out, maybe Sam at a push. Most of the others we only see him fighting with them in two battles and then being with them at Tony's funeral when he doesnt interact with them. We can presume he spends a lot of his time between Endgame and his death balancing being King, he returns to Wakanda straight after the battle, and also spending time with his son. It is a very Irish thing for everyone to turn out for funerals, it isn't as common elsewhere - apparently including the MCU 😄

Blade was supposed to be in that November slot before it got pushed.

Makes sense to shift the Marvels, otherwise it would be rushing out two back to back this summer and then have nearly a year before the next MCU movie.

Glad they pushed this back and can potentially polish up any FX than attempt to bring forward Captain America into this slot when it isnt ready and make a mess of a movie that many of the usual suspects will be only giddy to hope fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Going off this, they moved it to November 10th as this is Veterans Day long weekend. Black Panther Wakanda Forever did 181 million that weekend last year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, this the first explicit jump from the TV series', right? I know Dr Strange 2 linked back with Wandavision and Scarlet's fake kids, but Ms. Marvel started off from the TV show, not the films, so will be interesting how or if they thread that needle.

Hopefully it's a better movie cos Captain Marvel sits quite low for me across the MCU. If not near the bottom. Remains the benchmark for de-ageing mind you, still impressed with what they achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well Jonathan Majors' first appearance as a Kang variant was in Loki, so I guess that counts too.

Monica Rambeau being grown up and having powers will also need to be dealt with as last time just movie audiences have seen her she was a child.

I don't see it as being an issue at all though, they deal with similar during nearly every MCU movie. They explain enough backstory of crossover or the main characters in sequels so casual audiences have enough to get by. They have it down to an artform now that most of the time you don't even notice - Infinity War is probably the best example, where they found a load of different ways to do it which came across pretty natural and didn't take away from the movie.

No one else knows Ms Marvel in the movie so she'll just end up explaining her background to another character or they'll do a quick flashback and they'll move on quickly to the main story. If audiences want to learn more they'll be able to watch the show afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Grace Randolph said The Marvels has tested already and it was poor. I don't think these films are being properly conceived before being announced, as in filming is starting without a finished script. Even No Way Home had that situation but not every film will have the selling point that had.

'Rapidly dying'...

Despite bad reviews, undeserved from audience feedback, a worldwide $375m and domestically

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 2 dropoff will be huge. Review scores are getting worse and the ending was lackluster, which will impact people returning for follow up movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

you keep referring to this grace woman,. Why do you listen to her? She has possibly the most annoying voice on the planet. She reports on stuff that seems to be on boards anyway. has she ever made any predictions that have come through.

and did I mention the annoying voice?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The second weekend of Ant-Man 3 will inform a lot; good or bad word of mouth can determine how well a film runs and succeeds - or otherwise. Look at Top Gun Maverick as a good recent example: while it reviewed well it's arguable that the enthusiastic audience word of mouth kept it in cinemas far longer than it might have. It ran in the US from May 'til December(!) and even went back to Number 1 at one point.

Also, without knowing Marvel's projections for this it'll be tricky to gauge the relative success of the movie. They can't all make Far From Home money, but presumably something knocking on the door of $1 billion would be a success?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

February has also not traditionally been a big month for blockbusters, although that said Black Panther and Captain Marvel were both Feb releases afaik 😅

Nice attempt at goal post moving there.

Most movies have huge drop offs the second week.

Audience scores were good and most were excited by the set up for the future (seen by the reactions to the post credit scenes).

Nothing from the results of Quantunmania support your claim that the MCU is 'rapidly dying' - it is posting great numbers despite unwarranted negative critic reviews

• Advertisement

Coming close to $1bn is way to high expectations.

Non crossover movies generally don't make that kind of money, especially with non-A tier characters.

In the Ant-Man trilogy, the original made ~$500m and the sequel ~$600m, riding the tailwinds of Infinity War. In this post pandemic environment reaching the number of the sequel would be a huge success. The budget for the movie was reportedly only ~$200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Deadpool went for a Valentines day opening I think... Brilliant...

Captain Marvel crossed 1bn in their February release, though it was arguably riding a higher wave being the final film before Endgame a few months later. Although Ant-Man is supposed to be the film to kick off Phase 5, introduce Kang etc, it didn't have the same level of hype that the MCU did a few years ago.

The film might still cross 1bn, but I'd say many will just wait for it to be on Disney+ given the middling reviews.

Captain Marvel also had the hype/novelty factor of the first female MCU lead.

Again, a $1bn target makes no sense.

No disagreement that it doesn't feel like the same hype as the MCU did a few years ago but that is to be expected as the movies leading up to Endgame were the peak of the first 3 phases.

We're at the same spot in the initial phase cycle as we were when IM3 and Thor 2 were coming out in phase 2, which wasnt close to the hype levels. I doubt we'll ever reach the same heights as IW and Endgame but that isnt a failure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Worth noting that audience response to Quatumania has been pretty middling too - it currently has the joint-lowest CinemaScore of any MCU film, tied only with Eternals.

To be clear: CinemaScore is a bullshit industry metric that in absolutely no way says anything about the actual quality of a film (CinemaScore audiences tend to dismiss or hate anything that even slightly deviates from the formulaic). If anything, a really bad CinemaScore is often an indicator that a film's actually doing something unique and interesting :P But, if nothing else, it does tend to be relatively accurate at flagging films that may have 'legs' at the box office.

Oh yeah I don't see not reaching 1bn to be a failure or anything. Less than 500m would probably be dicey territory and start raising a few concerns. Just saying that a lot of the films that Quantumania might be compared to had other things going for them that got them over 1bn.

Disney are throttling the "three movies a year" approach, right? That's also gotta change how projections are going to be fashioned in the future. Disney+ is the Unknown Quantity in this mix IMO: I had seen something about subscriber numbers dropping already - presumably down to the Global Trashfire we live in - so maybe the decision to throw MCU films onto the service after X months isn't the reflex anymore? Same wondering WRT to the shows as well.

I see Black Panther 2 did $500 million less in the box-office; that gap feels a little surprising; while diminishing returns often applies to sequels, I'd have speculated the hype would have been pretty strong for this vs. Ant-Man Quantum of Solace. Boseman's passing an accidental bump in media coverage, the sequel to probably one of the highest regarded MCU films, all seemed like it should have hit the billion mark? I also thought it was the better movie too, but obviously that's just personal preference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sequels dropping a lot of money between new installments is nothing new, especially when the first film 'overperforms' relative to expectations - see, for example, Star Wars (fairly consistently across all three trilogies) or Jurassic World. Quality doesn't really come into it. But yeah the Black Panther drop was quite significant even with that in mind.

Definitely think the Disney+ approach has been a bit of a disaster in terms of its impact on theatrical releases - it's not just MCU, but Disney and Pixar's animated fare has fared much worse again. Things like Lightyear and Strange World have been unambiguous flops, again regardless of their quality (and Lightyear really isn't good). But all indications are there'll be a massive scale-back on Disney's ambitions in that regard now that it's proven - to the surprise of nobody - that streaming is an expensive money pit, and films at the cinema actually make money! It would not at all surprise me to see bigger 'windows' in a bid to recondition audiences away from expecting these films to drop a few weeks after a cinema release.

Disney+ saw a decent drop in subscribers but that was mostly down to them losing rights to some cricket (not Jiminy Cricket, the actual sport), and so they saw a big drop in subscribers in areas like India when that happened.

I think they're going to stick to 3 films per year (with maybe the extra Spider-Man ones as a fourth when they happen as they're still with Sony), but they do seem to have indicated they're going to reduce the number of shows they were going to do in order to keep them more focused, maybe with more one-off specials like Werewolf by Night and the Guardians Xmas special instead of full seasons.

• Advertisement

You have to separate "Marvel" from "Marvel Studios", Spider-verse is very much a Sony project, the Spider-man movies come and go on Disney+ as does Venom and the like. I actually heard this week that Sony are working with Amazon Prime rather than Disney on a couple of Spider-man spin offs.

Advertisement