Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Spotted an ad for this on Facebook.

"The great thing about Larkfire is that it enriches the ritual of adding water to your whisky. It is well-considered, respectful to what’s in your glass and is a high-quality product designed to help you fine-tune your whisky to your palate."

A bargain at £8 per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@irish_goat Some poor sod will be given this as a present by someone who thought they were buying whisky :)

Kinsgley Amis recommended Malvern spring water in his classic Everyday Drinking:

Malvern water: Spring water, a traditional favorite of royalty and the ideal accompaniment to good scotch.

Given how much chlorine DCC seem to be adding these days, main thing is no tap water...

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

Didn't realise this would be so limited, 1800 bottles for the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Jesus. That's not a lot really. I thought I'd be able swing by an off licence and grab one handy enough tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'm finding it hard to believe that there will only be 1800 bottles of this available. I'm calling BS on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Got a bottle from O’Briens. Will try it later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

I’m not buying that it’s such a limited release either. It’s out of stock on their own site but still readily available elsewhere and there’s no mention of it outside of that tweet. Even later updates by them don’t mention that it’s limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Looking forward to hearing your report

Heading out tomorrow night to watch the football, hoping the pub might have some

Went out of my way to get a bottle in Celtic Whiskey Shop today... now I suspect if I wandered into small local O'Briens at the weekend they'd have loads.

FOMO in action :)

1800 bottles seems to be correct, but there will be more on the way. It's a permanent addition to the range, so shouldn't be an issue getting your hands on one down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Oh yeah? Closest I saw was that the recipe was from the 1800s. Would make sense why they picked 1800 if it was a limited release - just couldn’t find this info anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Grabbed a bottle in my local o Brien's, better be decent after all the build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They weren't in much of a rush to get it into Cork City shops on release day 🙁

Anyone who got a bottle try it? (I never understand waiting to open and taste a bottle of spirits!)

In a blind taste test I'm sure people would think it was American and would never guess the Powers connection.

It's nice, very much in the American sweet mellow style. Long finish.

Totally different to say Kilbeggan Small batch rye which is dry \ spicy.

For €40 I'm glad I picked up a bottle although Sazerac Rye would be a level above it.

I'll crib the tasting notes from here... from the tasting notes I think they'll be pitching this as base for a Manhattan, Old Fashioned etc.

The tasting notes show the Irish rye to feature maraschino cherry, orange peel and toffee banana combined with the earthy taste of candied ginger and spicy character of clove, burnt orange and peppermint. The long finish has a distinctive hint of chili oil that lingers for a time with that of honey glazed fruit notes.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/irish-whiskey/powers-irish-rye-a-first-for-irish-whiskey-market/

Oh, I was hoping for dry and spicy with a bit of rye funk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Exciting ... The fact that this could be mistaken for something from the US market means they got it right, IMO. I'm really curious to try now.

I do wonder how many people who exclusively drink more conventional Irish whiskey will be a bit turned off by it, it'll be a new experience for them.

Well that was my reaction, it seemed like something put together to make an Irish whiskey approachable to American palates used to bourbon \ rye whiskies.

Rather than something funky to stand out in tastings \ appeal to those seeking some brand new flavour profiles.

I think anyone used to other Powers \ Irish expressions will find this a surprise \ shock depending on how much they appreciate American whiskies.

I wouldn't make any great claims to be a super-taster though, so am curious to see what other people make of it!

Reviews online are thin on the ground, I see mention of banana bread and ginger (which are also noted above). I didn't get much pepper \ clove from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

On the point about waiting to open a bottle, I just got home from the UK and got a bottle of Talisker Dark Storm in the DF, it was too late last night for me to want a whisky, and I won't be around this evening or tomorrow, so will likely be Thursday before I even contemplate opening the bottle

I definitely wait... I have bottles that I've had unopened for a year. To me it's the same as having a "to read" pile of books... I have about a year's backlog there as well!

I have three bottles open at the moment, a Scotch, a wheated bourbon and a mezcal... I tend to go between them, and I probably won't open anything else until one bites the dust.

• Advertisement

That bottle will be the next one I drink from, for sure.

I have about 6 or 8 bottles of various whiskies on the go at a time I'd say, from an everyday Powers GL to a 21 year old scotch

I can buy bottles faster than I can drink them!

The miniature \ sample sizes are poor value, would like to see more 20cl, 35cl or 50cl bottles of premium whiskies.

JJ Corry bottles are 50cl.

Firstly, everyone is different and there is no right or wrong here.

I understand that sometimes you'd not open a bottle as you have too many open already.

I'm more talking about buying a bottle on Monday morning and not opening it until Friday evening, for example.

For me, it's never too early or too late or the wrong day of the week to taste spirits. I don't consider tasting as "drinking", as such. Just a little taste. Curiosity will always get the better of me. If I'd picked up the rye yesterday morning, I'd have tasted it as soon as I got home!

I prefer to have the full tasting experience, especially on my first dram from a new (to me) bottle.

A small sample, a "one sipper" isn't enough to get to know the drink, I like to spend time, let the spirit open up in the glass, allow it to warm in my hand, see how it changes and develops - maybe pour a second measure. Maybe I want to drink it with someone (another friend of mine has a bottle of Talisker Storm, and I might leave it until we can do a side by side together), maybe I don't fancy a whisky and want a beer instead. There's no right or wrong, you are obviously correct.

If that all sounds pretentious, it's because it is. I make no apology for it. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'd qualify as a relatively recent blow-in to the Whiskey Club, and I enjoy the pretentiousness of it. It's a "treat" so I'm gonna make the most of it.

I'd rarely touch my more expensive bottles unless in company. I'm happy to share a glass or two (and then back to the cheaper stuff, you freeloaders).

Oh, I'd enjoy all that too. Still, doesn't stop me opening the bottle asap and having a little taste!

more power(s) to you so

There's definitely no "right" way to do it. All individual.

Got the Powers today, I feel like I got caught up in the herd a bit but the price is right and I want to support this kind of thing.

I open the bottle almost straight away for a sniff at the very least and will usually aim for a glass of it that evening. Exception would be if my wife buys me a particularly nice bottle I'll wait until the weekend and have my first glass when we're both having a drink together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

This thread has let me down for the first time 😋

Just opened a Powers Three Swallows that I grabbed when it was cheap in Tesco and it is not a nice whiskey 😕

Alcohol, slight sweetness, fumes, alcohol, gone

(I'll caveat that by saying I'm a Liverpool fan so I'm drunk and in a terrible mood, but I'm really not sure I rate this as a whiskey at all)

Advertisement