Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭deezell

Back in 80-81 we sometimes made house calls while out surveying in a particular area, people would write in and complain their signal was bad, and the local TV dealer had exhausted his options. With a mobile mast you could sometimes find a sweet spot, and show the householder the exact spot, often by a few feet, the antenna height and direction. One such find was a reflection off the face of Mount Brandon, antenna 7 feet off the ground and sheltered from multipath signals from the opposite direction by the outside loo down the back of the house. Mad stuff. A Convent in Mayo were unrepentant when told their slightly snowy signals were from a deflector, and it was a sin to watch them. The nuns just laughed, said it was a worse sin not to know what was going on in the world, then cooked us up a huge fry. I loved the studied obtuseness of rural people back then, they always had an answer up their sleeve, especially if you teased them about the TV licence.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Before my time, I can't recall it anyway. I remember the MMDS being the only thing up there for years, now it's a transmitter farm between 2RN and the various telecoms providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

IIRC Moville had no TV3 in analogue days. Viewers in N. Ireland on North Coast area had to rely on Holywell Hill transmitter which was more difficult to receive to watch TV3 or just wait until DSO.

Post edited by Digifriendly on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Someone has or attempted to get into the VMTM network. Programmes on 3, 4, more & the player to be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Maybe they tried to improve the schedules.

• Advertisement

I curious how they hacked into their sophisticated automatic Program Delivery System.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Did anyone notice ? Or was it just an attempt?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I think their dishwasher came on or their heating turned down instead of 'The Chase'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Is there any examples of any programming being changed?

(Edit: I can see that Loose Women wasn't aired on VM1 yesterday, or repeated this morning on VM3)

On a serious note, they say they have a failsafe system, which would halt a schedule retrieving media for broadcast if the possibility existed that the media was tampered with, messages overlayed or edited in, etc, captions edited with offensive or political statements (same thing?) added in. It wouldn't take a lot of code to halt that file retrieval if an unexpected read/write had occurred, until a human reviewed the stored file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Not sure on that but there's some stuff not on the player yet; news, tonight show, Ireland am, love island, love island aftersun

Schedule is a mess at the moment. A good idea to how it's changing it to go to here and filter by Virgin Media https://www.virginmediatv.ie/en/epg/initial Select a TV show (like 15:50 Storage Hoarders on VM3) and the info is blank - meaning it was scheduled, but wasn't shown.

Wierd things like Loose Women airing live on VM2 at 12:30 today, but wasn't shown on VM1 at 15:00 at it's usual time. Most of the scheduled episodes of shows are now different ones - like The Chase showing a different episode as scheduled. Repeats of Love Island, Emmerdale, Corrie, The Tonight Show looks to be gone for the next 2 days. No the Group Chat. VM3's listings are all different. Hard to understand why. Most episodes are repeats of ones only shown days previously, like Darling Buds Of May, McDonald And Dodds

• Registered Users Posts: 30,077 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought Nolly was supposed to be on tonight on Virgin Media More, but only showing Wednesday night now.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I don't think 2 was affect so perhaps they choose to show Loose Women Live on that channel?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

All their channels were affected, despite what the press release said. On VM1, no Judge Judy, Paul O Grady, Call the Cleaners, different episodes of The Chase, the same episode of Amazing Animal Births from yesterday at the same time. There's no repeat of Millionaire tonight. No loose Women is the schedule tomorrow.

VM2 had no Tipping Point and a few others.

VM3 and 4's schedule change so much anyway, I doubt anyone would notice the other changes. Heartbeat not being on probably the big one as that's the highest rated show on that channel.

VM More seems to be just showing repeats of yesterday's non-sport related shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I don't suppose there's any chance the hackers could make Virgin go HD on Saorview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I bet it's a sneaky hack by Challenge so they can have a monopoly on The Chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Virgin Media 1,2 & 3 live streams now in HD on the Virgin Media Player via Firestick. Picture quality wise, I would say better than 720 and not as good as 1080, but a thousand times better than the standard definition that was only available up to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Great. I had the "pleasure" of watching Six Nations on it a few weeks ago and it was like the TV was hidden behind a fish tank.

• Advertisement

6 nations was in HD on the VM player app on any Android TV, on Apple TV Box and I assume on other non Android TVs where the VM App exists. There's no VM player App for Samsung TVs Tizen operating system though. It plays in HD on any browser that's built into a smart TV, except most Samsung as they broke video playback within their TV browser. Champions league definitely HD, better than 720, when you can see every bristle on Richard Dunne's face.

Schedules slowly going back to normality today. Loose Women remains on VM2 at 12:30 for rest of the week, and is absent from the 3pm slot on VM1. The Champions League was 30min shorter last night, with no proper comms or full highlights of the 2nd game (note that Brian Kerr was in the studio as a 3rd pundit which is very rare - he was probably booked for co-comms on the 2nd CL game). The 6 Nations match on Saturday looks to be shorter time as well - finishing at 7.

So their storage system is compromised and off line. I was wondering why they hadn't Lukaku's goal, thought the cassette tape must jammed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

When they said there was a hack at Virgin Media, I thought they were just confirming Richard Chambers worked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i watched VM2 on the firestick last night for the match and came across an ad for a viewer panel to determine what they should schedule on their channels. a chance to win 50euro voucher every month.. they really know how to tempt people..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Please suggest they show more of The Chase. Or launch an Irish version. Just to troll them. Not that they'd get the joke.

The Romanian version of Mrs Brown's Boys, with subtitles. In Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kitsy13

The autopsy USA programme is never the person it's meant to be, last nights george best one was Roy orbison and tonight's one on robin williams is tammy wynette..its been like this for years..always feel like it's virgin media or someone's been tampering with my aldi diplomat decaff tea !!

Same with their sport. They often advertise the wrong match in the champions/Europa league, or the 6 nations, in the EPG details. Its often a match thats already been played or from a future date.

• Advertisement

I think for Autopsy show, it's the way there was a UK version of it from Season 1-5, and then it was produced in America thereafter - sometimes called Autopsy USA, or retaining the original name. So sometimes if it's Series 4 Episode 3, then confusion starts whether it's S4 E3 of the original, or S4 E3 of Autopsy USA (making it S9 E3)

VM/TV3 haven't shown the UK episodes since 2020, so it's always more that likely the USA episodes.

Very messy alright though - not being able to correctly show these in the listings. Killing Spree is another recent show which they never seem to be able to correctly get the info and series details right.

Advertisement