Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Why are RTE still transmitting their DAB tests from Donnybrook? Must be very annoying for those living or commuting through the area.

Modern cars will mix FM and DAB… and all these test stations are carrying blank audio.

Can they not find the off button? Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

What about the weekend pirates in Dublin? I also recently heard Co. Meath's RetroNow.

Is Donegal's Radio North or Monaghan's Radio Star Country still on the go? I think there is also a shortwave pirate from around the Dundalk area. There may be another shortwave pirate from around Sligo - not sure if it's still on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

After posting about the Dundalk pirate on 20 January, I did not hear it again. Until Bank Holiday Monday 06 February when I noted it on 1602 kHz at 1 pm and it is still on at 10.30 pm. S9 + 60 in Dundalk, but not being heard on any SDR. 1602 has some other broadcasters, and when the Dundalk station used it before, it was usually not during darkness. Non stop oldies, with no ID or speech of any kind that I heard.

I had waited from 08 January to post about it, to see whether it would hang around. It remains to be seen if it will continue this time.

Radio North and Star Country are still going. Mostly bible preachers these days, must be where the money is. No shortwave from Dundalk, but I think Reflections Europe is a Donegal transmitter. I have heard them on Sundays with a strong signal on 6295 kHz, more religious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DublinsABC

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday is " Exidy 738 May 23rd 1984 - This is a one-off experimental broadcast from the Radio Nova stable under the name Exidy 738. Tony Allan is the presenter from 10.28am.

On May 23rd 1984 Radio Nova split their medium wave frequencies, keeping Radio Nova on 819kHz. The 738kHz transmitter had been introduced a few weeks earlier because of an RTÉ jamming campaign against the station and on this particular morning, different music could be heard on the frequency. It eventually went live with Tony from just after 10am. " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / Gary Hogg / DX Archive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

carrier on 96.0 (no RDS) playing a loop of a generic sounding music bed earlier.

Audible around D6, wondering if it’s the referee radio broadcast from the Aviva?

The Dundalk station came back for a while on 1602 kHz playing music on Saturday 11 February. On Sunday 12th I tuned in around midday, and they are playing tapes of Radio Rainbow International, the Free Radio Show. Announcing their postal address as 151 Moneymore, Drogheda. At around 2.30 pm they said the programme would feature Radio Sovereign which used to operate in England. Radio Sovereign was the name the Dundalk station used in the past. The material is probably among the recordings on this website.

Not a peep to be heard on any SDR, but a massive signal in Dundalk.

I heard some of this. This made for fascinating radio. The music mix was an interesting mix of adult-oriented pop and rock, mainly American. One curious exception when I was listening was A Trick in the Tail by Genesis. Tony Allan sounded great.

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday is "Kildare Community Radio August 15th 1981 -This is Kildare Community Radio, a Naas-based pirate station. Made on August 15th 1981, these recordings were made by the DX Archive team during a visit to the station. The photo of the studio was also taken at that time. " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / DX Archive

The Dundalk station is on again Saturday and Sunday 18/19 February on 1602 kHz. Looks like it may be operating only at weekends. On Sunday they were playing tapes of Zee 103. I was on travelling for a while, and the signal disappeared about 10 miles from Dundalk on the road to Castleblayney.

https://pirate.ie/archive/tags/zee-103/

• Advertisement

I heard Paul Wilson on Retro FM on 92.0 this evening around south Dublin. He was enjoying himself cracking jokes!

Over the last two days, I have intermittently heard a station playing oldies (mainly if not all 1980s) on 105.2. Any ideas what that might be? Could it be Robot FM that had been on 107.1 until a few weeks ago? I noticed over the last couple of weekends that I have picking up dance station RetroNow slightly easier around south Dublin on that frequency (not to be confused with the aforementioned Retro FM which plays oldies!). Maybe Robot decided to move to avoid clashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Whilst a Kilkenny 'DJ' has been very much in the news recently, the first part of Nationwide on RTE1 TV last night had a look at a unique radio station in Kilkenny and its presenters- Dreamtime Radio on 92.6FM (+online) from its campus which supports people with intellectual disabilities on the southern outskirts of Kilkenny city . It has limited broadcasting hours and a very limited range of transmission on 92.6, the smallest station licenced in the country:

Mon 20 February 2023:

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/nationwide/SI0000001172?epguid=IH10000974-23-0020

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday is "WKLR and Drivetime on Cork’s WKLR -WKLR (West Cork Local Radio) broadcast from the town of Bandon from January 1984 until the end of December 1988. Originally aiming primarily at west Cork, by the end of its run WKLR could be heard throughout the county. The station broadcast on 1503 kHz AM, announced as 200 metres, and on various FM frequencies including 100 MHz, abandoning the AM transmitter in its final year. " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to pirate.ie / DX Archive / https://www.facebook.com/pirate.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The station mentioned above on 105.2 in Dublin is id'ing as 'the Jam new wave '

Playing 80s 'new wave' music.

I picked that station up again last night, but the reception was pretty poor around Dundrum/Ballinteer area. Any idea where it would be stronger?

I’m guessing it’s the return of net station Gem Radio to FM. They were on FM before in the late 90s/early 00s. Haven’t heard this new resurrection on FM yet but look forward to it!

It does not seem to be the same as Gem Radio New Wave which is on the internet.

Interesting that on a newer car the manual radio tune option is not available by default.

Makes scanning the band for any weaker stations tricky!

I have to select settings, advanced settings and turn off DAB in the station list. Then manual tune option appears.

Post edited by JDxtra on

Thanks for sharing. Looks like the presenting team really enjoy it and they have a nice setup and support. Anyone who has had any involvement with dance radio stations will surely recognise one of the presenters - Keith Costello.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Maybe someone here will know - who is relaying Finn Valley Radio on 1521 kHz? Giving the location of the station, I wonder if it is being broadcast from the same facilities that were used by Tyrone Community Radio on the adjacent frequency of 1512kHz a number of years back? If it is, then it must be doing so on quite low power as reception here was only possible using a mini-whip antenna (in Fintona, Co. Tyrone) in two seperate locations around 1/2km apart, with nothing received at all on three barefoot receivers using their internal ferrite aerials - not even a carrier. The Malin Head KiwiSDR doesn't pick up anything of note themselves when I looked at it a few minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Both Radio North & Radio Star Country are still going strong on 846kHz & 981kHz respectively, though both stations seem largely automated these days.

I'd imagine its just someone experimenting. There are clearer frequencies for nighttime to go on than 1521, or for the 1602 as reported in Co. Louth recently. There are clearer nearby frequencies, and its also the case that since Absolute closed 1215 and its surrounding filler channels, the frequencies 1197, 1206 and 1233 are very quiet at night (though not 1215 which has Spanish), if they can go a bit down the band.

Speaking of AM, does this newer car radio have AM ?

The Dundalk station is on 1628 kHz as I write this, and can be heard fairly well on the Malin SDR. It was on 1638 early morning 01 March, and on 1602 Saturday and Sunday.

Another pirate, probably Dutch appeared on 1625, and the Dundalk station moved to 1629.

No. Just FM and DAB.

I’m sure all manufacturers are pushing online media connectivity in newer models, with less focus on broadcast.

For example, I use Apple Car Play and this is now available wirelessly. Get in, start driving, phone still in pocket and it’ll start playing what you had on last on Spotify/TuneIn etc.

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday is "Border Weekend Radio January 21st 1989 - Based at the border in Co Louth, Border Weekend Radio was born just a few weeks following the closedowns at the end of 1988. It was operated by presenters who had been involved with Rainbow Radio and broadcast at weekends.

This recording is from 6pm on January 21st 1989 and features Johnny Walker on air. " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / Originally recorded by Rodney Neill

Some skip conditions in Dublin today with lots of BBC stations making the hop across the water (including BBC Radio Cumbria on 96.1 battling it with out with East Coast from Bray on 96.2)

Heart on 105.7 popping up too in Clonskeagh.

The Dundalk station which is sometimes on 1602 kHz at weekends, is on 1575 kHz Sunday 05 March.

• Advertisement

ABC 80's Radio Memories this Sunday is " WKRC August 15th 1981 -This is WKRC, a pirate station based in Newbridge, Co Kildare. Made on August 15th 1981, this recording was made by the DX Archive team during a visit to the station. The photo of Pat Martin in the studio was also taken at that time. " Enjoy Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://kathy.torontocast.com:4365/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / DX Archive

Advertisement