Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lichen and brown growth on the apple trees

Options
  • 21-02-2023 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm trying to identify the brown bulges/growth on the branches of my apple trees (photo). Is it dangerous? Can it be removed? If so, how?

Also, all the trees in the orchard have a lot of moss and lichen going on (photos). How can I reinvigorate the trees / should I remove it and how?

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Nothing wrong with the lichen on the trees. Its good as that particular lichen won't grow where there is any form of pollution.

Bit of pruning would help a good bit. BUT!!!! don't do any more than taking out dead wood, crossing branches and minor thinning until you get an idea of how the trees bare fruit. You don't want to be cutting out the wood that will bare fruit. Then you really need to refer to a text book examples of what needs doing https://www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/apples/winter-pruning is as good a general piece as I can find.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can't help you with the bulges, presumably they are burrs of some sort and I don't think there is anything you can do about them. Is the tree producing apples? The lichen is no problem. The moss would suggest growing conditions are not great, possibly overcrowded or in a damp area caused by local conditions. Usually not a problem in itself, but you have a forest of it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MeOhMe

Thank you!

The trees do produce apples - not too abundantly though. But I wouldn't know if they are just capricious by nature or it's a new development as the property is a recent buy.

I'd rather avoid removing any of the trees but if it could help to het more light...? I'll try with a good soil conditioning/feeding first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

There are a variety of small wasps that can form galls on trees and use these growths to provide a safe place for their offspring to mature and that would be my guess as to what the bulges might be. They are generally regarded as not very harmful to the tree from what I have read but like the lichen which are also no harm to the tree it would be a sign of slow growth and the moss that high in the tree would be a sign of dampness. Its a great sign for the environment in your garden having clean air but probably means the trees are not being pruned regularly which is usually advised to keep them producing more fruit. I wouldn't suggest taking out any of the trees but cutting out some of the older branches and particularly any showing signs of disease should help air circulation and new growth on the trees and help with fruit production. First take out any material that is dead, diseased or damaged and then any branches that are crossing and likely to rub off each other and cause damage to the tree in future. Then a few more cuts could be taken to give a better more open shape but don't take off more than 20% at one go as this will likely lead to lots of small water shoots growing which would not be very productive. Posted a video of me pruning one of my own apple trees here.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MeOhMe

Advertisement