Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Choochtown

... and here's wee Jeffrey the previous year 2020 (before the idea of a Taig First minister entered his bigoted little brain)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1234980955825176576

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nigel Dodds added another 'test' today, stating the NIP Bill must become law too.

Like you said the suspicion is that the tests are designed to fail, thereby meaning they can stay out of Stormont

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I really have no idea what you are going on about. You said the Ecj only became an issue in last few days. I show you a random clip from 2021 and you suggest that is recent.

the 1958 nonsense - the issue today is that it is applied while Uk has no representation

Not battered wives. Seems like we are sexy because you guys keep chasing us and trying to convince us to marry you. After 100 years you would think you might take no for an answer and stop stalking us. No means no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The Republic don't want you either, no need to worry about that. You continue to live your tiny lives where you are as you watch Sunak with the support of Labour sign yet another deal against your wishes.

That's Good Friday, St Andrew's, Protocol I and soon Protocol II signed over your heads. Can you not take a hint at all?

Unionists are so little regarded, the Government and opposition unite. How often does that happen?

The next election will see unionism wiped out for good in the North. You're out numbered, out educated and out earned by non unionists.

• Advertisement

This stuff is so nasty I probably shouldn’t respond, but hey.

if the south doesn’t fancy us then why the infatuation with us and the determination to ensure there is no border between us.

I know you would love ni to have a majority who want to partition from Uk. Unfortunately for you, 100 years, discrimination, violent conflict, brexit, Celtic Tigre, etc, etc and the 33% who wanted a United ireland in 1923 has became 32% in 2023. If you need to rant and convince yourself the union is in trouble, I understand.

It really isn't 'exceptional' as the British have had to do this before.

What is 'exceptional' is a party representing a minority constantly blocking agreed rights and attempting to use a veto that has long ago been taken off them.

Look at it from the majority side. Here you (and the DUP/TUV) are attempting to impose a decision on them which they have democratically said they don't want -Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How was GFA signed over their heads when there was a referendum?

Unionism wiped out for good? How do you make that out?

You've seriously no idea what I'm "going on about"?

Either:

1. You're lying or
    2. You didn't open the links or
    3. You haven't a clue about politics in the 6 counties

Whatever the reason(s), I notice that you haven't replied to the clip of Jeffrey saying there's no problem with an Irish sea border or denied the fact that the reason the DUP have boycotted the NI Assembly is nothing to do with the protocol.

• Advertisement

The Good Friday Agreement was signed by the two governments on the 10th April 1998. The Multi-Party Agreement was signed at the same time.

The referendums were not held until May.

Despite DUP objections the two governments signed the agreement...'over their heads'.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whatever the reason(s), I notice that you haven't replied to the clip of Jeffrey saying there's no problem with an Irish sea border or denied the fact that the reason the DUP have boycotted the NI Assembly is nothing to do with the protocol.

To be fair, DUP followers seem to adopt whatever stance the DUP are shouting for at any point in time. They were all content when the DUP told that that the NIP was a "serious and sensible way forward". Then the DUP changed their mind and the troops all did a synchronised about-turn. They don't have a strategy beyond shouting NO to whatever is on offer.

I think some of you guys are just being silly now.

unionist did not follow dup, they lead them. Unionists have been opposed to Ecj and protocol as soon as they realised that the dup had made a complete mess of the situation. Unionists demanded that the dup get out of stormont and challenge the protocol. The dup were completely incompetent and would never have changed their position had the community not forced them. They were collapsing in the polls and were left in no doubt that they were finished if they didn’t listen to the electorate. So no one followed the dipsticks in the dup

I think some of you guys are just being silly now.

Wanting democracy & equality will do that to you, I guess!

unionist did not follow dup, they lead them. Unionists have been opposed to Ecj and protocol as soon as they realised that the dup had made a complete mess of the situation. Unionists demanded that the dup get out of stormont and challenge the protocol. The dup were completely incompetent and would never have changed their position had the community not forced them. They were collapsing in the polls and were left in no doubt that they were finished if they didn’t listen to the electorate.

Care to show us impartial examples of where demands were made by the unionist public where they wanted the ECJ and protocol removed?

So no one followed the dipsticks in the dup

You did! You have even told us yourself that you have changed allegiances and will vote for them next time round!

^^^ so will the DUP claim it as a win or will they continue to deny the democratic will of the people?

I had a wee search to try and find evidence of "unionists" or ("the community" as you call them) forcing the DUP to change their position.

The only articles I could find (and there's a few of them, I've linked 1 below) involved a minority group known as the LCC (Loyalist Communities Council) who represent UDA, UVF and Red Hand Commando i.e. criminals.

Why on earth would this group be so concerned about imports at the docks? What on earth would they be importing?

Their "chairman" (I kid you not, these gangsters have a "chairman") said “I’ve made no secret of the fact that if the basis of the ceasefires is removed – in other words the constitutional stability that the Belfast Agreement provided – then these organisations are going to doubt the very basis on which they agreed their ceasefires,”

So, a not so thinly veiled threat of violence if the instability continues. These lads really hate the imports being checked. How weird is that?

Even weirder is that there were no threats from the LCC when Stormont collapsed and created instability between 2002-2007 and 2017-2020.

Why not? ... (clue: answer involves the words "Taig" "First Minister" and "Cocaine")

Loyalist Communities Council chairman: If DUP goes soft on Northern Ireland Protocol it will stir unrest in UVF/UDA ranks | Belfast News Letter

Excellent thread here that sums up the actions of charlatans

Unionists are from Mars and Southerners are from Venus.

I have to accept that choochtown and his mates actually believe his strange reading of the situation.

without pointing out the nonsense of his post and, eg the different interpretations when The likes of david Campbell (a gfa creator and supporter) points out risk of violence compared to when SF, SDLP and Leo do it.

the Ecj is a red line for ordinary unionists on the ground. If the dup accept a situation where there is compulsory rule by Ecj in ni then they will be in serious election danger going forward. No one cares if there is a voluntary sign up to Ecj option to those who wish to choose that.

now francie etc will have his spin ready if this happens as it has been stated clearly on here that this will not happen.

I am curious. If Ecj does not end up the final arbitrator on goods in ni, will posters here accept that is a major win from the unionist community’s fight?

same question, if we get to a point where goods moving from gb for use in ni are not checked? ie no border in Irish Sea for goods and people moving from gb to ni. Again no one cares if southerners are strip searched at Larne (indeed the more searching of southerners then the more jobs for the people of Larne - hopefully paid for by eu. If that happens it will be a stark reminder for everyone crossing the Irish Sea that OWC is firmly British and ROI os clearly not British - no fuzziness

That would be a wonderful outcome - along with our special status for trading with eu. I don’t expect this to happen in the next few weeks but I do hope it is the final destination. Onwards and upwards

• Advertisement

This is classic.

You have pivoted to the ECJ because in all likelihood there will be flexibilty there. And you are already claiming a win.

You, like the DUP, are as transparent as a newly cleaned window.

Here are the 3 amigos (look at the smug triumphant face on Nigel Dodds) the morning after giving Boris a hero's welcome at a drinks reception in London, proudly proclaiming a win on The WA and Protocol with Arlene even threatening the EU with No Deal if they turned it down. Not a single mention of the role of the ECJ.

It was after this (and more trumpeting from Donaldson etc about what a great deal it was) that polling showed that Unionist voters were up in arms about a border in the Irish Sea, not the ECJ, that the DUP shifted position.

Then when the DUP and you realised they were not going to get flexibilty or a win on where the border was bare-faced revision of recent history then became the order of the day as the 3 amigos, had the cheek to blame Ireland and the rest of the EU for 'forcing' the UK to accept the deal. Charlatans, who don't seem to realise the invention of video makes fools of them.

Absolutely dis-ingenuous posting again downcow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Ireland and the rest of the EU did force the UK to have an internal border within the Uk i.e. between N.I. and the mainland.

Varadkar warned the EU that a hard border risks return to violence of the past in Ireland.

The UK government gave in to this threat of violence. Big mistake. Pity they had not someone the calibre of Margaret Thatcher in government.

I was going to type out a long response to this but as it's all nonsense, it's not worth the effort. None of this was forced on the UK. They made choices (given that they had all of the cards). The UK placed itself in a position where it wanted a border with the EU because it wants to diverge from EU standards, etc.

Given the GFA, a border would have risked peace on the island so wasn't an option. The UK then chose to go with a border down the Irish sea. This was such a good deal that PM Johnson hailed it as a great deal, they went to the polls with it, won an election on it and got their Brexit done because of it.

Where in the GFA does it say there could never be a customs type border between N.I. and the 26 counties? There is already imposed by the Irish government if you want to buy a car from N.I for example. Why not for other goods if it saves having a border elsewhere?

N.B. for people I think the border between N.I. and Scotland is ok, because it is easier to check people getting off a plane or ferry. For heavy goods lorries, no..... because more goods go between N.I and Britain than between N.I and the 26 counties afaik. Plain common sense.

The UK never proposed a border on the island of Ireland in any official way. They explicity said they didn't want that. Theresa May:

"there will be no return to the borders of the past"

Theresa May's Backstop, proposed to have a border nowhere.

The ERG/DUP rejected the Backstop and brought down May and then as we know from the video above, triumphantly welcomed the current Protocol as did the ERG. When the DUP slumped in the polls and faced with the prospect of a SF First Minister, they did an about face and promptly blamed the Irish and the EU for forcing the 'great deal' on them. 😁

The facts contradict you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thatcher who signed the Anglo Irish Agreement despite her Out Out Out stuff and a massive Unionist hissy fit?

You have a very poor memory of history

THe extremist Republicans had promised to return to violence if there was a customs border again in Ireland.

Theresa May famously told the British Parliament that "no UK prime minister could ever agree" to a border in the Irish Sea.

So which 'promise' did the perfidious Tories renege on?

THe extremist Republicans had promised to return to violence if there was a customs border again in Ireland.

When was this exactly? My recollection was that it was deemed inevitable (border posts being vandalised thus requiring police who would eventually require army, etc) but I look forward to you backing up your claim.

• Advertisement

No dissident group issued any threats that I am aware of. I would like to see this claim backed up too.

The first warning came from the PSNI 7th Feb 2018

Varadkar warned about it on 18th Oct. 2018

The misrepresentation of these warnings comes exclusively from Unionists and their backers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement