Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fg councillor receives death threats for speaking the truth!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DrivingMrDaisy

You do realise people moving into the vacant council house have zero say in that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They started their post though with “Apparently”, an easy out from their claims being called bullshìt.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Why do we need to do anything ?

Workers of this country have been ridden enough . Paying people to do f..k all for generations isn’t acceptable to a lot of people .

And it isn’t just paying them welfare . We must house them as well ! And in the case of a certain ethnic minority we have to pay to have AGS try to keep tabs on them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Because it makes the society better. Children of unemployed parents living more or less comfortably, with an access to same schools as everyone else, have better chances to become productive workers -- and less chances if they live in squalor, eat sub-par food and have no space to do their homework.

But even if you say, that's it, provision of houses to unemployed ceases right now, that does not help to solve the housing crisis or help working people to get houses. For it is a political suicide to suggest that the current tenants of social housing would be evicted from their houses. Thus you just create another level of inequality -- people who got their social house earlier and the rest.

Whatever Cllr Moran insinuates is unworkable, so it is just stirring shite in the pot.

There are solutions to help working people to get their own houses. Going after social welfare recipients is not one of them.

Paying people to do f..k all for generations has been perfectly acceptable to most people, for generations. It’s why we continue to vote for politicians who, like the councillor in question, are very good at shìt-stirring, but of fcukall use to do anything else. That’s why there are people here saying she’d be popular were she to stand in the next general election. Where do you imagine the funds to pay politicians salaries comes from?

I don’t think you can count politicians as an ethnic minority though, no matter how closely they need to be kept tabs on by Gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 DrivingMrDaisy

The actual claim that the council will rip out whatever is in the house and put it back to standard is completely accurate, the other part of the post just looks like another chance to kick those in social housing that failed.

If by “completely accurate” you mean there’s the same truth to the claim as claims of mothers leaving their buggies at bus stops because they can’t take them on the bus and they can get money from the social to get another one anyway, then yes, the claim is completely accurate.

Otherwise, no, it’s bullshìt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Disabilities often come up on these topics. But plenty of people with disabilities can and do work without expecting government handouts.

Some of course can not work but plenty can.

Councils spend tens of millions every year on renovating and repairing their social housing stock. As they should . But it is another cost attributable to the welfare state .

We can’t have these lads doing anything to help themselves . Much easier to have the working man / woman pay for it .

If you don’t want to work and raise kids that don’t want to work it’s your fault. Not the gubberment Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It is true that the DSP pay out money for child buggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm not talking about that, when the council redo houses aside from ensuring that they're up to modern spec, they'll also make accomodations depending on people's individual disabilities, this could range from lowered countertops to handrails to walk in showers, things that would cost a private homeowner money but something I doubted anyone would be opposed too until I read this thread.

People using fake disabilities to go on the life dole are a completely different discussion.

I know they do, but that wasn’t the original claim, but yes, it is a cost attributable to the welfare state, and an obligation which all too often councillors have neglected because they act like the funds are coming out of their own pockets. That’s why families requiring accommodation are all too often housed in squalid conditions, as opposed to the idea that councils gut and refit houses every time a tenant moves out, and before a new tenant moves in. Allowing people to live in such conditions provides no value or benefit to the State whatsoever. It’s quite literally pissing money down the drain.

Go after the organ grinder instead of cribbing about the monkey.

I know that -

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/additional_needs_payment.html

You appear to have overlooked the meat of the claim though - that there is as much truth to the claim of mothers leaving buggies at bus stops because they can’t take them on the bus and they can get money from the social to get another one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Am assuming you mean an increase in support, rather than building another couple of Shannons with the savings.

So why do you think this isn't happening, if it's so obvious? I mean FG probably spends millions every year on advisers, researchers etc. but you, some guy on the Internet, have a simple proposal to boost their ratings that all these Einsteins haven't cottoned on to...

But Councils do gut and refit in many cases . They spend eye watering sums of money in remediating the damage caused by some of their tenants . In the last 25 years , in a town near me , three settlements , of multiple housing units each have been demolished in their entirety because they were wrecked . This was on top of several individual houses having to be completely refurbished and also clearing up after several illegal encampments - one of which cost 19 k to clean up .

Im not sure of who you are referring to wrt the organ grinder and the monkey but to me the only ape is the working man who is forking out for all of this .

But nobody is arguing that councils don’t gut and refit houses at all? The claim was that councils gut and refit houses before new tenants move in. That’s clearly not the case. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that the council would be required to maintain properties over 25 years, the properties aren’t the property of the tenants, and any repairs, improvements or replacement of furniture, furnishings or fixtures are the responsibility of the council, who receive funding from the State to carry out these repairs and maintenance or upkeep.

The organ grinder I’m referring to are councillors whose responsibility it is to maintain council properties, used for the purposes of providing social housing. That the councillor has a beef with tenants is not the tenant’s problem, and because the councillor was made aware of a family who were homeless whom accommodation couldn’t be provided for, is also not the council tenants responsibility -

The threats came after a council meeting in which Cllr Moran said it was "scandalous" that a local father facing homelessness with his family was told he would need to earn less to get a council house.

She told Pat what happened next.

“I said that there are genuine people - and there are a lot of genuine people - that need all the help they can get,” she said.

“But some council houses are being held up by an awful lot of people who have never worked a day in their life. Their parents have never worked a day in their life and their children will never work a day in their life.

“Now I shouldn’t have said that, but it was kind of in the heat of the moment.”

She’s right, she shouldn’t have said it, and at least she’s acknowledged that much. Trying to justify saying it afterwards is only a demonstration that she didn’t actually mean it when she said she shouldn’t have said it. Not surprising behaviour from a politician.

There’s no “working man” is forking out for all this, because funding for social housing is provided by public funds, it’s not directly provided for by taxpayers in the sense you’re trying to imply, taxpayers of whom many, many, mannnnnny more… are dependent upon the Welfare State, due to policies which are introduced by the politicians whom are voted for by the electorate (as opposed to the idea of anyones vote being dependent upon whether they pay any form of taxes or not).

That’s why I suggest that cribbing about the monkeys thinking they’re on the pigs back receiving a few hundred a week in welfare is a futile exercise, when it would be far more worthwhile scrutinising the people who are actually responsible for making local and national policy decisions. In short - address the underlying social ill instead of complaining because the symptoms are ugly to have to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

@One eyed Jack

Usually find myself agreeing with you but in this case I've seen the proof of what the councillor said throughout my life and it continues to this day. Yes, the underlying problem is the main cause but it would be no harm to fix one of the major symptoms of that main cause. Plus, lets be honest. No matter who is in power, they will not start taking houses away from people, it would be political suicide. That doesn't stop the genuine anger people feel. I'm not talking about throwing everyone out of their council houses, most of them are needed and indeed deserved but there are people, entire families in fact who simply do not deserve the perks they get when the rest of us need to work hard to come anywhere close. There has to be a better and fairer way to go about things and it cannot involve major political change as we know how that goes in Ireland. We can't even vote a different party in, no matter how beaten down by them we are.

One of the major symptoms being that their children have to put up with their shìt, so when a councillor says that their children will never work a day in their lives, that’s only exacerbating the symptoms because it gives people an opportunity to point out to their children that they don’t want to grow up to be anything like the councillor.

Which, y’know, is a fair point, given that if it were me in their situation and someone said that about my children, they’d be sucking their next meal through a straw… if they were a fella of course, I’m sexist like that 😒 But you get the point - trying to address the adults attitudes is a futile exercise, because by the time it gets to that point, their attitude towards other people is ingrained. What CAN be done however, is that instead of expending energy getting angry at the adults (water off a ducks back), show their children that there are alternatives to being predestined to enter into the family business so to speak. It’s why I worked for as long as I did in social work, not because I liked the people I worked with (they often exhibited similar moral values to posters on here as to what should be done with people who offended their sensitivities), but because I was more interested in ensuring children didn’t feel like they were destined for a life of perpetual misery in adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That (the part of her statement mentioning the kids) is the one part I wish she hadn't included and I'd imagine, apart from the pandering apology, the one part she regrets.

The thing is these kids don't get their attitudes, education, viewpoints or anything else from Aisling Moran, they get it from the parents, unfortunately. So if you don't address the adults in the room then how will anything ever change? Saying its too far gone and hoping the next generation will be an improvement has been done and it's failed from everything I've seen. The parents get worse (as parents and members of society), the kids get treated worse and eventually grow into the little charmers who think they are entitled to everything for free. They do what the want, which is fine by the parents and they learn little titbits like, don't bother paying for refuse collection. Just f*ck it where you stand and the council will solve the problem, along with all others. The anger is justified here and I'm not sure why Aisling Moran is getting more of it than the frankly sh*tty and unsuitable parents who allow generations of their family to freeload.

How many freeloaders are there? Why isn't her party doing something?

Because any serious crackdown on 'welfare spongers' would be slaughtered by all the other partes as heartless, Thatcherite, neo-liberal etc. Plus they would never get any such proposal past FF or any of the other parties they have been in partnership with since 2011 so why even attempt it?

• Advertisement

Well that’s true only up to a certain point Deebles, because Aisling Moran certainly didn’t inherit her values from her father, who was an absolute gentleman, didn’t matter what anyone’s social status was, he would never have come out with an outburst like his daughter-

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/05/14/councillor-john-moran-signs-off-with-a-few-tears-and-admiration-ringing-in-his-ears/

I don’t think it’s too much to hope for that their children will inherit their values from her wife, rather than Aisling, similar to the way in which traveller children for example inherit their attitudes to education from their mothers, instead of what is often their fathers attitude of bitterness and perpetual misery at the idea that he could’ve been a contender.

You’re not going to be able to influence all children, but you count your blessings with the children who don’t enter into the family business but take advantage of every opportunity they get, which aren’t many, and not nearly as many as children who don’t grow up in grinding poverty will have.

Or, you could spend time condemning their parents, for all the good anyone imagines that’ll do. It’s cathartic, but it changes nothing, and it lets people with the authority and the power and the responsibility for social change, off the hook, by focusing people’s ire on the wrong target that is absolutely guaranteed not to give a fcuk, because what have they got to lose? At least politicians can be brought to heel by the threat of losing their seat, because that’s the only way change would happen at a national level, by changing national policies, or at local level by not being a miserable punt and losing their temper in frustration when they’re not getting their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

I'm sorry, but trying to channel Varadkar with his "I'm with those who go the work in the morning" doesn't cut it. FG have had a decade to sort out the welfare system and every budget has revolved around throwing more money and never-ending "bonuses" at welfare recipients (i.e., paying people not to work.) Those who get up in the morning and keep the country running have been treated with virtual contempt, and I know many on lower wages asking themselves, why even bother anymore? FG policy has been to look after the cronies at the top and "buy off" those at the lower end, and to hell with everyone else. Problem is, FF are hardly any better and SF are infinitely worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's very clearly an unfair system when someone in perfect health who hasn't worked in years gets a home that's nicer than the home of someone who works hard all their life. Working people have a right to be pissed off with the people with forever homes who don't even pay rent to the council for many months. Yes theirs bigger issues like how much money the government waste but this is still as issue

Who ever taught you in the first place that life would be fair? Surely as you grew into adulthood you learned long before then that it wasn’t. Working people don’t have any right to be pissed off with anyone else when they’re eyeballing and envious of anyone who has more than them, or imagine they’re entitled to feel morally superior to anyone who has less than them. For example you don’t complain about how unfair the system is when some crackhead career criminal pops their clogs before their time, but they’re a product of the exact same system as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, it is unfair. But the way to solve it is not by stoking indignation and then doing nothing, but by implementing solutions. For example, same houses that are given for free can be given to working people who can pay the mortgage, but cannot get it from the banks. This would mean that councils need to build thousands of houses at a taxpayers expense, but these money will be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I know life isn't fair but we should have a political system that deals with unfairness among other things. I have a right to be pissed off with the people in power when they give a lazy person something that's better than what a working person can afford. The crackhead you mention shouldn't of got addicted to drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Council are now building houses and only putting in kitchen units. Floors, wardrobes, white goods all have to be paid for. All they need to do is fill in a form and social welfare meet most of the costs.

Was chatting to a welfare officer recently who said they are now approving car repairs and new tyres.

Why would you bother working when you get all this for free. The sense of entitlement is astounding all fed by government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I said that or did you not read to the last line

But she isn't primarily talking about 'welfare fraud' she's focusing on a system that incentivises "people who are well able to work but choose the dole as a career option.” If FG tried to reform the welfare and tax systems to break this culture of dependency they would absolutely face a massive backlash from the other political parties, the NGOs & the media. Plus they would never get FF and the Greens on board with such reform so they don't even talk about the issue and carry on boosting welfare spending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have to laugh at the below. You just know it’s absolute made up waffle. Trying to make out she’s so informative and enlightening

“Then there were people who rang me who I spoke to and they started off by shouting and roaring and then, after I spoke to them and explained the situation, they calmed down and some actually even agreed with me.”

Advertisement