Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think if you eliminate the individual errors you'd find we'd win a lot more games,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I don't think replacing them will turn us into world beaters again but it can't do us any harm. Having Konate fit would help. Virg has slowed down a lot as well. He doesn't have that aura about him that he had before the injury. It could take Nunez and Gakpo a few seasons before they reach world class level and of course there is no guarantee that they will reach the levels that Salah Mane and Bobby have in the past for us. We also have Diaz to come back in so that is a positive.

I had no expectations tonight. Too many of the results all season have shown that this team were not going to be able to handle a team as experienced and as slick as Madrid. The only saving grace is that we don't have to play them every week. Hopefully we can get over Palace at the weekend and try and press for 4th.It would be hard to be in any way confident of that happening also despite two positive results back to back.

I also worry about our lack of a plan B and plan C. Even when we had a more versatile squad with players that had the potential at least on paper to fit different formations we rarely ever tried anything different. I would have liked a safe 4-4-2 at times with the fullbacks sitting a bit more when we seemed to be losing every game and losing quite easily . Klopp seems set on this way of playing.

None of us wanted to be in this spot at the start of the season but we are here unfortunately. I can excuse them getting outplayed tonight to that Madrid team where as I can not excuse the performances v Leeds Brighton Wolves etc. Not that we have any divine right to beat any team but to be outfought in those games was hard to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Absolute class goal too. Audacious and perfectly executed

But I'd say the only positive is that it removes the last hiding place that we're desperate for reinforcements. These players have given everything for so long, and we all love them for it, but plenty need replacing now, and that's not being disrespectful to them at all

I haven't read all the comments. Just home from the pub and this is the lowest I've felt watching us for a long, long time. Hope you're all doing ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

That's right

I'd nearly say if we score more than the opposition we'd probably win also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

FFS I've read some guff here tonight but this tops the lot, the ignorance of this calling fans idiots for booing the UEFA anthem after what they were put through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

City fans have been booing that for years and UEFA have done nothing why would they start now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah but i still think RM would do them over 2 legs or a final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tonight was the same as Saturday went 2-0 but couldn’t close out the game, only difference was Newcastle went down to 10 men and didn’t take any of the chances they created.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

whats wrong with calling it out. He’s been rightly praised for performances well beyond his years lately but watching a 37 year old modric sprint past him in 2nd half and his loss of possession in lead up to Allison mistake was poor. Incidentally both times he was put under pressure by Fab losing possession just before so got zero support in the 2nd half. Klopp is depending on a 17 year old prospect to save our midfield this season and paid the price playing vastly inexperienced midfielder with the extremes of 2 other mids who have lost all ability to sustain mobility and intensity for more than 1 half of football.

I really hope with Keita, Ox leaving we can get 2 quality players to replace as midfield is totally non existent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

He called it out as if it was his fault entirely. Why? Why not say the midfield was schooled tonight, or the defence?

Klopp paid the price for playing him? That makes no sense. Play who instead? Jones? Ox? Keita? What midfield line up tonight would have been better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Funnily enough, just yesterday I was wondering how many have blocked this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

😂😂 bad timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Bangkok 2.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

That was frustrating. Madrid is our bogey team no doubt. The stats were the same between the 2 teams and yet it is 5-2. We are in control at 2-0, they score a world class goal from a world class player. Then our best and most reliable player this year gives away a goal and we are chasing the game again. The 3rd goal was terrible defending and then we give away one to a huge deflection. The 5th was just a break away goal as we are chasing the game.

They weren't better than us until they were ahead in the tie when Modric started coming into the game. But he was nowhere at 2-0. You just have to take all your chances against them as their players are so confident in this competition and will score 4 when only having 5 shots at goal. But there were still some positives from the match and its not like we were blown out of the water against a team that had 65% possession and gave us no chance. Tough match that will be tough to get over, hope the players do better than me as I am broken by that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Madrid ruthlessly effecient. Punished almost every mistake with a goal.

We weren't really in control even at 2 up I felt. We had a manic presence but once Fab and Henderson had that initial burst we lacked energy and control around the centre and that's what cost us. Each goal could be traced to small mistakes, like being a little slow to press vini for the first shot, Alli for the second (a big error), slack marking for the 3rd, a turnover for and slow to press again for 4, each one punished. But root cause again was an inability to sustain the midfield.

We've been on this highwire act for too long, the back 2 with fullbacks pushed high, its risky with a functioning, energetic midfield, with what we have now its suicidal.

We need nee voices in the coaching team to change something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

If you want to continue living in a fantasy land pretending everything is rosey because we barely won 2 lge games in a row then carry on lad,I'll just be honest and say it how it is,that performance bar the first 15 mins was nothing but an embarrassment

Yep just as I said,we are an embarrassment, yet I get slated for saying it,so called fans on here need to wake the **** up and realise how poor this team is and how our management staff simply aren't doing their jobs

• Advertisement

What we really should have done and probably should do for rest of the season is play a diamond 4 man midfield and just have pace up front with darwin and mo

433 for this team is a waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Being realistic, Liverpool have been massively struggling this season. We are just coming back to a bit of form and were up against the best **** house/skill house team on the planet.

We looked good, scored two brilliant goals and were in the game until 2-2. After that Madrid showed that they have class/form in every position while we are still waiting for some players to hit their expected form again.

Beat Everton, beat Newcastle, went head to head with Real Madrid and despite a decent attempt got a pretty bad result and a bit of a schooling/humbling at the end. Take the positives, focus on getting top 4, recruit well in the summer.

The wider issue of transfers and relying on Elliot and other kids this year is obviously still our biggest issue and really needs to be addressed in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Worse because Bangkok mainly stayed put in the United thread most of the time. Our nuisance roams free annoying everyone.

The more people that block him the better as far as I'm concerned as it's less I have to see of "there" nonsense.

Madrid had the legs in midfield with Camavinga and Valverde out working Henderson and Fabhino and Modric out thinking the three of ours in the second half. We burned out after the first 45 minutes and we're chasing shadows in there.

Yes they got lucky with some of their goals but they still should have won. However I still think there was a good shout for a penalty for the push on Nunez which gives us a chance to go 3-3 rather than 4-2 down.

You could also see the heads drop when Ali made his mistake. Confidence is very fragile at the moment so seeing your POTY make that type of mistake will drain you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah the midfield burnt out quickly.

I thought we would need to score while on top in the first half as they (Fabinho & Hendo) surely couldn't keep up the energy rate they were going at. I actually thought Fabinho had a good first half overall, but basically didn't come out second half at all. His legs had gone, as had Henderson's. Surprised Bajectic lasted as long as he did. Klopp should have used Keita at HT for legs. What's the point in having him sitting on the bench for every game for the rest of the season now? I know he is leaving, but at least use him when it's needed.

Milner is nearly guaranteed a start now away at Palace, and probably Elliott too.

True actually never thought of that and not the only one I say

I have no problem with my statement. Are UEFA a bunch of words I can not write here or I'll get banned YES. Should Liverpool demand a public apology yes should the fans show there detain with flags or slogan no problem however booing anthems or study like that I am not for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

After 20-30 mins the energy was gone fabinho and Henderson couldn't keep it up, a young kid on his own against one of the best midfielders ever.

Fullbacks pushed up, midfield couldn't cover the space and we got exposed by Vini and Benzema over and over.

I love klopp and one of the main reasons has been our high energy attacking football but come on we are 2 nil up quickly, why do we need to be pushing for a 3rd. Drop back, soak up some pressure and try hit them on the break, protect that lead. This is the champions league knockout not a 90 min game, the tie has barely begun. Klopp and pep have to show more pragmatic tactics with the players at our disposal.

I fully expected a beating last night but we just played right into their hands after a great start.

Nunez brilliant again, world class finish, worked hard defensively too.

Gomez sell sell sell. Hard to believe we won a league with the same player.

The only positive is we are scoring goals again, a few weeks back we couldn't even hit the target. That's 6 goals in 3 games, I'll take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People seems to get annoyed when i don't want to live in the same cuckoo land as some .

Bajcetic is not good enough to be starting week in week out, Itrs not his fault but its ok to say that it was obvious form his very first game, He got MOM against Everton who are garbage , Newcastle 10 men went through our midfield with ease time & time again , Like Elliot he is no where near good enough to start every week we don't need to over hype players ,

Last year i got mocked for saying we should send Jones on loan we'd be lucky to get 5 million for him now, I was mocked for saying Ward had a bad summer transfer window look at us now,

Call me all the names ye like & keep you head stuck in the sand,

Darwin been great lately but he's playing LW what happens when Diaz is back ?

Will we be back to square one with Nunez trying to figure out what to do with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

Who said he was good enough to start week in week out?

Theres a handful of 18 year old players across the globe that are ready for this level.

He’s come in and made a dysfunctional midfield look a bit more functional and people are happy to see it. Nobody suddenly thinks that he’s ready to lead the midfield in all competitions.

You seem to think because he had a bad game in which the entire midfield had a bad game against one of the best teams in the world that he should just be dumped in the bin, which is nonsense. He has shown he has ability and in a perfect world he’d get a few games here and there to develop while we rest our main midfielders.

But Liverpool are far from being in a perfect world so a young lad coming in and making a positive impression is a bright spot in a tough season.

For the love of god please stop quoting him.

I never said he should be dumped in the bin or sold ,

I said he was awful , worst player on the park for me ,I don't get why people cant just judge a player on the merit of there performance instead " oh his age ,ohh fab , ohh hendo , " ye all them things are also correct, as well as he was terrible last night ,

I would ask how has the midfield been more functional ? We beat Everton at home ,The width of the post changed the game & we got passed like a hot knife trough butter against 10 men Newcastle, The midfield has been as bad as it was,

Also Bajcetic started in the two games we lost before the Everton & Newcastle wins, Henderson is the midfielder who came in from the cold, but nobody will give him any credit, Hendo was also the best of the 3 last night ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We're overrating how good Madrid are. They looked that good because the engine room is a joke.

I've seen Carragher have a go at the defence, and I just can't be having it. It's literally Gomez (who shouldn't be there), and Fabinho, who is no more than a carthorse. 4 of the 5 goals involved Gomez being too timid or making a bad decision. The 5th goal, was Fabinho miscontrolling a pass worse than any professional footballer should, and we got countered mercilessly.

The defence will come up 2 or 3 notches once we have competence in there. If you have no protection in front of you, your job as a defender is verging on impossible, because with the pace of the game now, and the focus on taking advantage of turnover ball, there are too many options for a defender to cover. Even on the 5th goal, VVD looks a bit silly because the ball went through his legs to Benzema, but he did all he could do and got unlucky.

We had the warning against Newcastle. They could've easily drawn that game with 10 men - they missed gaping chances.

If your midfield cannot press the ball, then your defence has to retreat. so many of our problems last night were because Madrid had free reign to move forward in the middle of the pitch, and so the defence had to try to go into a low block, which we just aren't very good at. now, the fact we aren't good at it is perhaps an issue with coaching. but Pep is arguably the greatest ever, and there are certain things his teams can't do, and what does he do? He and his clubs refresh his teams so that he doesn't need 'Plan B, C or D'. he can just figure out ways to do Plan A better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Would be nice to have a functioning defence and midfield that can operate at a high level without so many caveats. It seems that if even one cog is missing, it seeps into all aspects of the team. We need to develop the ability to adapt mid game. When its not working for our attack, we need to be able to be compact, be extremely comfortable defending against technically superior teams who have more of the ball. Utilise our pace in attack to play counter attack.

This one gear we have, forward at all times, isn't going to cut it. We have to be flexible and capable of having a plan A, B and C. We always talk of finding players who fit JK's system, I think we simply need good players who are capable of playing multiple systems, ability out of possession is just as important when in possession in the really big games. Developing an ability to be more pragmatic and prevention of shipping chances during games. Playing attacking, high adrenaline football and keeping it tight shouldn't be mutually exclusive, with good players you can have balance.

Seeing us when we were 2-0 up compared to Madrid when they were 3-2 up was just night and day. If they wanted to switch to a tactical setup where they focused on not giving us a sniff of a chance, then they could. Despite the fact they don't have alot of really defensive minded players.

Our problems are twofold, its a personnel thing but its also an issue on the coaching side. A new voice alongside JK is needed to provide this balance. All the top clubs bring in new coaches to freshen things up. No point signing players this summer to fit a template that is outdated.

Gomez had a really poor game & as you say is passive, but he also had to spend most the game trying to help Trent, first goal & the free kick Trent gets by passed in the first place,

Your correct Fab miscontrolled & it started the break but a midfielder who shall not be named should have just fouled Modric ,the same player lost the ball for there second goal & missed controlled the ball for Gomez deflection, ,

For the free kick where is VVD,Becker, Hendo looking at the set up & thinking we need someone to step forward into the space , Crazy to defend in a straight line so deep ,where are our leaders ?

My point is there's more than just Gomez & Fab ( who was very good in the first half) at fault. Trent's poor defender has gone on so long now people don't even bother bringing him up him anymore ,

Konate was a huge miss not just for how good he is at his own position but the fact he is great at covering Trent that says it all really,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

As much as it pains me to say it but ferguson was a far better manager than klopp is, don't get me wrong Alex had money to spend no problem but he knew when to move players on and freshen things up every 2 or 3 years, klopp and I love him is stubborn within 4 3 3 formation which clearly isn't working or we don't have the players for it and he is also too loyal to older players. ox, kieta, gomez, milner, Jones, etc would all be gone now by ferguson and he wouldn't be depending on 18 or 19 year olds to play midfield all the time, would like to see klopp get rid of pep lenders too as not sure he is great and writing a book....come on like, cop on man ur an assistant still at the club

Why bring Ferguson into it? I don't think one person has ever seriously suggested that Klopp is in the same conversation as him, so it's a bit moot.

All great managers should know when to freshen things up, and stubbornly make the powers do it. Pep is doing it right now - there are some growing pains, but freshness keeps things competitive.

Klopp's greatest strength is also his greatest flaw. His players run through walls for him, but when they hit a wall they now can't run through he remains far too loyal. Henderson had his peak two years ago, and it became obvious quite quickly, that was it in terms of top tier performance. Fabinho's peak was before his last injury, and he hasn't been the same since. Gomez hasn't been good enough for at least 2 or 3 years now. I don't care how good Milner is to have about the place, he shouldn't be playing any important minutes for us at this stage. Firmino's peak was 2 years ago and he still might get a new contract - for what, I don't know? ****, we should probably be keeping half an eye on VVD, no? (kind of half joking with that last one, but he has definitely waned)

Klopp is ideal for these owners, unfortunately. He's happy to be loyal for as long as he possibly can, and reward the players who have got the club to where it has been. and I honestly don't believe he stands up to his board and demands players when they're needed.

I wrote last night that the loss was needed, and i meant it. we possibly need to be humiliated again in the Bernabeu, or at least be exposed as not in their league again - and certainly not get CL qualification this season. these owners will not do what is necessary until they don't have the golden goose - CL money. it needs a restart. the team needs to be gutted and rebooted, and I don't think it happens without CL going down the drain.

It's just strange to me we approached the game as if 3-0 down, and even at 2-0 we just kept going, you'd just love to see 10 men behind the ball, and to hit them on the break again and again, basically what they did to us, again and again, it's all very naive

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, I think when they scored their first goal it put doubt in us, and then we mentally collapsed when they equalised. All the goodness of going 2 up, all the goodness of the previous 2 wins was just washed away. Back to making silly mistakes.

Had Newcastle managed to score a goal at the weekend we'd probably not have won that game either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Some good points made but just on the owners side of things, are FSG likely to do what is necessary as you outlined? I don't think they have invested any money in transfers that hasn't been generated by the club itself since they've taken over. It's simply not how they operate. There is talks on here of a 200m kitty for the summer but I can't see how that is achieved if we fail to qualify for the competition next season...Unless we can get these investors on board before next season I can's see how generate those funds. My own opinion, we now have a lot of forward options so I could see someone like Jota been potentially moved on to generate some funds.

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They have to invest.

We're basically a mid-table team right now. That might be ok for one season, but if that persists then it's going to affect the value of the club. We really cannot afford more than 1 season outside of the Champions League, we've been here before, we know what the slide looks like and how hard it is to recover.

I think the Newcastle game masked a lot of our issues. Klopp and the players that spoke after beamed about the performance and us fans put a lot of the dominance Newcastle had in the 2nd half down to the players having one eye on the Madrid game. The reality was, we realistically struggled against 10 men for 45 minutes and gave away a serious amount of chances that they didn't convert. Unfortunately we made the same mistake against a Madrid team with 11 players and they're always going to be a lot more clinical that what Newcastle offered last week.

we've always been that way under Klopp.

the likes of VVD, Matip, Henderson, Fabinho and Firmino just aren't in prime condition anymore, Mane left (and it's looked like, at Bayern, that his level had dropped to be fair), Bacjetic and Elliott aren't there yet.

Alisson, Salah, VVD, Robertson and (IMO) Trent are the only ones at the level needed. we can argue about Trent all day, but we're expecting him to be doing things he never had to do when the team was good. if the team was compact, his negatives wouldn't even be noticed. he's still insanely good on the ball, but he's being pulverised by no protection.

Those 4 or 5 simply cannot carry the rest in the Klopp system. it's that simple.

And just to add, if we go into full rebuild, we do need to ask if Klopp is the guy to do it - not because we have to ask whether he's capable, because he's already built us once, but because we have to ask whether we want him to refresh everything with his style of player if the plan is that he could leave in a couple of years, because we don't want to be left with players that don't give us cohesion to whoever is next.

I know they have to but I just don't them doing it, they never have invested their own money into any of their sports franchises and I don't see us been anything special to them to break that. The overall value of the club is not going to dramatically fall due to performances on the field as they have been doing very well on the commercial side of things the last number of years and that's their main focus. UTD is a great example of this! Just look across the pond at the Red Sox's, they have missed the play offs in 3 of the last 4 seasons since winning the title in 2018 and their fans have been losing the plot over lack of investment since. There's actually hope among Boston fans that when we went up for sale that FSG would actually use some of the profits from our sale to eventually invest in their roster.

The second goal completely killed the players & the crowd , Once the crowd went Madrid knew we where there for the taking , the manner of the goal it made it worse ,

It looked like the player thought how in the world have we blown a 2 goal lead & things just got sloppy & lazy ,Almost like oh well here we go again ,

If we'd have got to half time it would have been interesting to see how we wold approach the second half,

All of this is of course correct , but you then have to ask the questions if us as fans know this , then the management know this so why in the world did they spend the only January cash on Gakpo & not a midfielder ?

Owners of course have let us down on investment front but some of the decisions footballing wise have been shcoiking , Another one is who decided on Arthur ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I reckon it was Bajcetic's decision to get Arthur

the Gakpo thing was all about timing.

the way Liverpool have traditionally done their transfer (see, in particular, VVD, Konate and Luis Diaz), is that there is a long term interest in a player, and we will do all the work necessary to make it happen, but after that, it's all timing. we don't do off the cuff signings (Arthur being the exception recently). Gakpo had to happen then, or not at all. so it happened. same with Konate - we waited until the time was right for all parties, and it happened. Diaz, we wanted to wait until summer, but timing (Spurs getting in there) dictated that it then had to be brought forward.

i don't think we go for Gakpo in a perfect world, when we did.

then in terms of midfield, i unfortunately think they've decided it's largely Bellingham or bust. maybe Caicedo is in there too. but we don't bust our nut on buying solutions immediately as issues arise. we have an unhealthy obsession with waiting for the perfect time - which works when the team is bouncing along nicely, but is maddening when players are falling off the cliff in terms of performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement