Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Greyian

All those possibilities you mentioned would be an issue at any time though.

The point I was making is two-fold:

1) The impact of interest rate rises only monthly mortgage payments is overstated. The original post suggested that the impact of a jump from 2.5% to 4.5% would result in an annual increase in payments of €7000, when it is actually €4862. That is an overstatement of basically 44%.

2) Due to the LTI limits we have had in place, affordability on existing and new mortgages is very comfortable for the vast majority of people. I know plenty of people who have bought within the last 2-3 years or are currently looking at buying, and not one of them has expressed concern at the monthly payments (displeasure, sure, but not any concern at the viability of making the payments). What everyone has struggled with is being able to qualify for mortgages they would be able to afford to pay, due to the LTI rules (please note, I am absolutely not suggesting the LTI rules should be relaxed further, I don't think they should have even been increased to 4x).

When we purchased our home, our mortgage payment was ~€1700/month. To rent an identical house (at the time) in the same development would have been cost just under €3000/month. Even if mortgage interest rates had been double what they were at the time, our monthly payment would have increased by a bit under €700/month, to ~€2400/month.

If the monthly repayments had been €2400/month, would I have been displeased that I wasn't repaying €1700/month instead? Absolutely!

Would I have opted to rent at €3000/month instead? Absolutely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Its also expected rates will go materially above 4.5% so tbf there's that to be factored in. Your assumption of family simply growing wages 9% in 2 years is generous. The property market prices are based on those buying. No idea why you are referring to people who bought in recent years. Their mortgages are done and houses bought. Mortgages likely fixed for good number of years. I absolutely don't think they have any impact on property prices. Noone is suggesting lots of defaults and houses coming onto market from it.

Mortgage payments are a mix of capital and interest with greater level of interest in earlier years. My point is on 350k debt that if you pay 2% more in a year that is factually costing you 7k pa more. 350k by 2% is 7k. Your mortgage repayment by lower simply by going for longer term... That lower repayment does not mean mortgage is cheaper. So you are the one who is being misleading here. I was being factual.

The 4.5% was based on your post. It was your figure and my post was based off that.

9% wage increase over 2 years in a time of high inflation isn't an unreasonable expectation, especially if people feel more urgently that they need to secure raises.

You will notice I mentioned both people who bought recently and who are currently looking to buy. The point was that the monthly repayment isn't the real concern for most people, it's getting access to drawdown a large enough mortgage that is the problem.

As for suggesting I am being misleading (quite unfair to make that statement when I provided all the calculations), you don't really seem to understand how mortgages work. My 2 figures, with a difference of 400/month between them, were both for 35 year terms.

The breakdown between capital and interest simply doesn't matter to the average person.

They are concerned about one thing and one thing only: What will the monthly repayment be.

A 350000 mortgage over 35 years at 2.5% is 1251.23/month.

A 350000 mortgage over 35 years at 4.5% 1656.40/month.

This is a difference of 405.17/month over the duration of the mortgage, or 4862.04. Not "7k pa more".

Let's pretend I simply chose "going for longer term" to make it look cheaper.

350000 at 2.5% over 20 years: 1854.66

350000 at 4.5% over 20 years: 2214.27

Funnily enough, the 20 year term makes the monthly difference smaller (359.61 per month or 4315.32 per year)

If you want to be really, really, *really* pedantic, you'd pay very close to 7000 extra interest (but not total repayments) in year 1 (and year 1 only) in a 2.5% vs 4.5% scenario.

Each year after that, the difference in interest would decline, which is why the difference in repayments is ~4800/year rather than 7000/year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

The reality is the easy to get 9% pay rise will not all magically reduce the pain of higher and higher mortgage interest rate payments instead it will be urgently needed by would be buyers to combat the rampant inflation so many regular consumers are facing day in day out down the shops, at the petrol pumps, paying inflated electricity, gas and oil heating bills as limited government supports now start to come to a rapid end. All the time hoping that both potential mortgage applicants retain both their jobs while waiting for tardy banks to process their mortgage application on their over priced dream house before the latest rate rise is applied once again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im seeing the same in Limerick except now anything decent looking starts at €320k in stead of €250k like it did a while back.

Except the scenario that was being talked about isn't "higher and higher mortgage interest rate payments", it is a specific increase to 4.5%. That is the point I was addressing, as the "7k per annum" increase suggestion was incorrect, and it's ridiculous for someone to suggest "prices will drop because mortgage repayments will jump 7k per annum", when they don't jump 7k per annum in the scenario outlined.

By the very same metric, I could just say "house prices will rise, because the average wage is 250k per annum, so there's loads of scope for increases". That would be a perfectly logical assumption to make....except for the fact that it is all based on a completely incorrect starting figure.

"All the time hoping....before the latest rate rise is applied once again". But that is a different scenario again. The scenario that was provided was an increase from 2.5% to 4.5%. Not further increases. If we are going to talk about latest rate rises being applied, then we should start with a 3.15% rate (current AIB 80+% LTV variable rate), which would then make the repayments look much more affordable.

Job loss is an issue regardless of interest rates. I've never met someone who after in the process of taking out a mortgage (or after taking one out) said "I hope I get sacked". In this scenario with rampant inflation, we are still talking about a scenario where the net income for our 2 * 50k couple is €6342 and the mortgage payment is €1656.40. This means they would have nearly €4700/month remaining after mortgage payments. Their mortgage payments would be just over 26% of their take home page. If they are spending €4700/month on childcare (for 2 kids), food, fuel, electricity, gas, oil, car insurance etc., there is definitely room to make savings if they are so inclined. There are many people paying for all of that stuff and their housing on less than €4700/month total.

Ultimately, because of our LTI rules, mortgages at 4.5% (or even up to about 6%) are "affordable" (i.e. less than about 1/3rd of income, assuming LTI of 3.5x). Nobody is going to be happy that they have to pay more than they would if rates were lower, naturally. As long as banks are willing to offer people 3.5x (or more) LTI, I'd be quite confident that people will continue to drawdown such mortgages. Irish people, for the most part, are quite happy to take as much as a bank is willing to offer them and will likely continue to do so.

What I believe would cause property prices to fall is not if prospective buyers decide they don't want to take out mortgages, but if the banks stop offering them at the same levels. People paying 2,500/month in rent are highly unlikely to baulk at mortgage payments of 1,800/month. But they won't buy if the bank won't actually give them the money. Banks not offering a large number of applicants 3.5x LTI (or above) is a scenario I can definitely see occurring, but not unless interest rates go higher than the 4.5% from the original scenario.

• Administrators Posts: 53,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is exactly the situation.

I think some don't realise the impact the LTI limits have had on mortgage holders for the past decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

I'm hearing of significant Pay rises for front line, hands on staff this year in and around the stated inflation rate. Anyone else seeing/hearing this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Work in financial services. Not a particularly glamorous company, but you’d know of it. C.1000 employees in Ireland.

Highest annual ‘inflationary’ increase in past decade until now was 3%.

This year staff below senior management are getting 8% on average and grades above that getting 5%.

My wife’s company (much bigger company) everyone got 5% last year and she’s expecting similar or more this year. It’s obvious some sectors are struggling big time, but there’s a large chunk of people between public sector, a certain parts of private sector, getting very large increments in 2023. Wage inflation is very real and no longer just for tech employees!

That's pretty much what I'm seeing. It's the essential staff that are getting the higher increases. They would be staff, in general that would be priced out of buying a home.

Multinationals plus sectors that have a little bit of pricing power in inflationary environment

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

How will this impact property? Will it increase prices from additional wages? or will it reduce prices from increased interest rates due to entrenched inflation?

Short term

Up in price or soften any potential correction.

Interest rates dictated at EU level, Ireland is an anomaly in the EU in that its growth far exceeds the EU average, therefore rates would be too low for our economy. This was a risk that was prevalent in the celtic tiger boom also. Government policy of demand over supply side policies multiplies this effect creating a bubble that may well be worse than 08.

Best case scenario

What we are experiencing now is closer to the 01/03 tech bubble burst rather than the 08 crash. Government policy, however, will accelerate our journey to an 08 style crash.

Worst possible outcome would be 01 to 03 style correction followed closely by an 08 style crisis. The last 12 years has been described as the everything bubble, maybe everything pops in a domino action

McWilliam’s promoting the proposed 3% vacant site tax in his latest podcast. Anyone see any unforseen consequences in his vision

• Registered Users Posts: 19,400 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How the investment funds affect the US housing market. Lots of parallels with our own market and crystal ball on where Fine Gael are taking us.

You can see the lobbyists singing from the same hym sheet as our own. It's is incredible the stupidity in incentivising this process. Bet you they don't have tax free status in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It will take 2-3 years to filter into the system. As well it would be fairly easy to avoid for LL with 1-2 properties. It will never be applied to people house's who are in nursing homes.

If the house is in poor condition the house value could be minimal. It would probably not be applied either where houses were for sale ( first year anyway). If a house is being refurbished will it apply. It could take 2 years to refurbish a house.

He is also proposing 3% there is no way such a rate would be applied you would be lucky of 0.5% was the rate.

A carrot is usually much more effective than a stick. At present we need to encourage people with vacant properties to start letting them again. Present regulations are discouraging them. Mary Lou and Ivana are looking for a three year eviction moratorium. What will be the effect. As a substantial percentage of houses become vacant they will not be relet.

Just as an aside, recently HAP payment was stopped on a friend's place. They pay in arrears but only notified him 3-4 days before the payment was due. Is that fair

Slava Ukrainii

If you have a loan with an outstanding balance of 350k that you will make a payment on in 1 year, and your interest rate goes up by 2% just for that year, then the interest cost goes up by 7k compared to what it was before.

That doesn't mean your repayment will go up by 7k. That is due to the way they calculate the loan repayments. What will instead happen, if say your repayment goes up by 4k, is that you will have an additional 3k owing on your outstanding principal at that stage. So your future repayments will be higher, even if the rate decreases back down by the 2%, than they would have been.

This just a simplistic example to describe the concept. You are correct that the mortgage repayments will not increase by 7k per year, but that 7k is still being added on to the principal owed (minus your additional repayment amount).

I'll listen to that later. But it is obvious that taxes for vacant land and properties should have been brought in years ago.

I would have an increasing tax over time. Not just a fixed 3%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It's a vacant site tax not a vacant house tax? IIRC it only applies to hoarders of development land

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a vacant house tax as well now have listened to podcast so was he just referring to land.

Slava Ukrainii

I believe site tax is different and will be assessed differently. Heard discussions about it on radio earlier actually - its up to local authorities to mark affected land and sites (criteria is land that has access to services and could reasonably be expected to get planning permissions for 1+ dwellings), all kinds of exceptions for landowners who own a small holding for farming or grow a bit of veg.

Likely to be some more loopholes too for bigger developers, but hopefully its gets some of these vacant sites in regional towns to be sold on.

I dont know about the cities, but in larger towns huge numbers of sites are held by a few businessmen looking to gain more influence in the town. Land hoarding really sets places back.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

I’m paraphrasing a lot, but the way McWilliams describes it, if you have a net worth of less than million then you lose from the system as it is now.

And if you have a very large net worth it is in your interest to hoard the land, make sure people can’t use it, and trickle it out for sale any time you want a few bob.

The Brits really did a number on us with that subdivision of land business - so much so that generations later it’s programmed into the Irish psyche that a city should be full of fenced off brownfield sites and derelict buildings and that commuting two hours a day to and from a ribbon development in Ballinasloe is more Irish than Oileann pipes and hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

It's so unfair that whether you own a house or not decides how well off you are.

Homeowners operate in the same labour market as everyone else.

But those in the labor market don't operate in the same housing market as everyone else.

A couple on minimum wage who bought 10 years ago is far far better off than someone who is earning 60k now.

In my experience its more parochial politics than some kind of learned behaviour from 'de Brits'

Local to me there is a hotel with a large brownfield site across the road, hotel owner would love to buy it and expand the business but instead a different businessman has bought the land and sat on it purely out of spite. This kind of behaviour is a lot more prominent in regional towns, someone who has 'enough' money already will be happy to buy land in strategic areas so that they have a grip on the development of the area, and become more important.

I hope the vacant site tax is enforced well on these kinds of people

From revenue: 3% applies from 2024 on serviced zoned land. Properties liable for lpt are exempt only applies to land zoned since 2022 (not sure why, maybe that's when first proposed)

Whenever it starts it makes sense

With regard to empties there are numerous carrots, grants etc if they are not working, the stick needs to accompany the carrot

Agree on regulations, maybe a period of time with rent a room conditions applied to property that is brought back to market from a state of dereliction

With German inflation heading back towards double digits, there is a bit of heavy lifting ahead still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

any increase in inflation in germany is indeed concerning

it is worth also remembering that the average age of first time buyers here (both single and joint applicants) seems to be increasing all the time.

"The median age for a sole purchaser increased from 34 years in 2010 to 42 in 2019, the CSO found.

For joint purchasers, the median age rose three years, from 35 to 38."

The age profile has most likely increased again since, meaning that many FTBs are looking at approx. 20-25 year mortgages at best rather than then 30 year mortgages often cited here .. continued increases of interest rates on larger home loans (which is the case here after 10+ years of substantial rises) will be felt even more accutely by older borrowers on a shorter morgage term but then again perhaps the pressure to buy before pension age is even stronger as renters find it more and more challenging to save for a deposit when faced with current nose bleed rents.. more and more the bank of mam and dad and the hope of inheritances are being mentioned which all points to a highly priced market reaching towards a tipping point which we are starting to see in other housing markets around the world as interest rates continue to rise

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40315109.html

• Advertisement

Out of interest, are those stats the median age of buyers in general, or FTB?

The line you quoted only says purchasers, not FTB

Advertisement