Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Nicola Bulley, Lancashire UK

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Plus... The family were going through hell, and the dive search may have given them false hope but let's not pretend the idea she wasn't in the water was some internet crank theory:

Nicola Bulley’s partner has said he’s ‘100 per cent convinced' that she didn't fall into the river and that he’ll ‘never give up’ searching for the missing mum-of-two... Speaking with Channel 5, Paul Ansell dismissed the police's theory that Nicola had drowned and said that someone 'in the village' knew something. 'I'm 100 per cent convinced it's not the river. My plea now, personally: I want every house, every garage, every outbuilding, the land, scrutinised. I want it all searched.'

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,955 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm fairly sure the police expressed concern from the off.

Re her family saying they were convinced she wasn't in the water - have you ever lost a loved one, even under normal circumstances? Been told they're terminally ill? Your brain rails against the reality and you try to believe it isn't true.

If the police didn't explain the issues Nicola was experiencing it would have been a scoop for a tabloid, the village was teeming with reporters, rubberneckers and idiots filming for social media. A local person sold the story to a tabloid, the information was released to stop the story appearing. Blame all the wannabe detectives who were clamouring for information and identifying suspects and motives despite the lack of any credible evidence.

It's a tragic case, and it's sad that Nicola's medical information had to be released, but it was done for a reason, albeit an unfortunate one. Hopefully the case will change how the media and public behave, whether willingly or through enforced restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Deeec

Your missing the point though - if the police had said at the start that she was vulnerable there would have been no selling stories to the tabloids - in fact there would have been no media interest at all in the case - it would just be another suicide which media dont report on. The police caused the circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Guys i suggest viewing this video as it can clear up many things and this is from an expert who did this for a living.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELsgavn0Q14

They did say she was vulnerable and that they had called to her home, they referred themselves because she went missing so soon after this call.

That didn't stop speculation, instead it lead to allegations of her partner abusing her and murdering her. Read the posts rather than selecting portions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm fairly sure the police expressed concern from the off.

They were opaque from the off, from the 27th to the 15th they peddled the same line, she fell in the water.

Then is snowballed, she didn't bring the ball for dog anymore, she was incredible swimmer, 100% convinced she didn't go in the water, and that was just her immediate family and friends.

Like I said previously that diver was brought in not to find her but to prove to the family she wasn't there.

And as much of a cockwomble he may be, he was kept in the dark as well, but not just the police but also the people closest to her who were acutely aware of her vulnerabilities.

A local person sold the story to a tabloid, the information was released to stop the story appearing.

Have you actual citation for this?

The family suggested that someone attempting to sell their stories and of course that certainly would be a possibility.

It could also be someone was absolutely fed up with the circus and wanted to put the actual facts out there to stop the crazy charade.

The police did it for them but it took 3+ weeks.. 🤷‍♀️

It was actually:

"Although we know that Nikki would not have wanted this, there are people out there speculating and threatening to sell stories about her.

That's unfortunately why the information was released.

I know I referenced that in my post.

Your claim is

A local person sold the story to a tabloid

There is no indication that tabloids bought any story.

It could well have been a fishing exercise, it could have numerous things like I suggested.

But again there is hypocrisy with the family bemoaning speculation, when they were actively engaged in fuelling it.

But like I said the blame for that lies at feet of police for the majority.

But again there is hypocrisy with the family bemoaning speculation, when they were actively engaged in fuelling it.

That says it all, I'll leave you to it.

It's the truth.

You left out this bit by the way.

But like I said the blame for that lies at feet of police for the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Deeec

They only said she was vulnerable last week- almost 3 weeks after she went missing. The circus was up and running at that stage. It was way too late.

• Very often it happens that family members disagree to varying extents over what tactics to take at times of crises, so wouldn’t be at all surprising if not all singing off same hymn sheet. At the outset it would probably have been a better to simply for police & family that Nicola had occasional health issues (could be anything, it’s immaterial eg epilepsy) and that there is concern for her welfare, one possibility is she may have fallen into river, would everyone keep an eye out for her”. That would have prompted people to both keep an eye to the river as well as looking out in case she had collapsed somewhere. People would have mainly focussed on looking out for her rather than immediately embarking on a ghoulish & lucrative circus of speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

No wonder the police wouldn't share info with him . Couldn't keep his trap shut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Post 257 has an interview with the famous Doug Bishop and he stated on using sonar to search the river and if an area cannot be scanned due to plant growth or other YOU send a diver in to make sure its clear.

That was not done it seems and coordinated with bank team moving along the bank.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement