Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

I use a dedicated nail brush, does a great job

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Just a quick note to say thanks for the steer Flipper, and also to Enduro for his subsequent endorsement. Have had four sessions now over the last few months with Jason and pleased with the results so far. He has dealt with my running form and, separately, a long-term injury which we are still in the process of trying to overcome.

The running form side of things has been very interesting. Short version is that I have significantly increased my cadence - up from around the 165-170 mark to 180 - helping to correct a number of issues which were bringing on injuries. 180 cadence still feels odd but it's blending in. Few other bits and pieces that he has tweaked too; mainly posture related. I'm three months into a general S&C/mobility programme also which has been helpful.

Just the injury to shift now! It's slow progress and painful enough (dry needling) but seems to be going in the right direction. Wouldn't hesitate to refer anyone to Jason.

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Great to hear the update, sounds like you're on the right track... Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I am listening to a few running podcasts recently and pure sport has been mentioned a few times . Didn’t really pay much heed as had no clue what it was . Steven scullion appears to have gotten a gift package from them (Instagram)and it looks like cpd massage stuff for for muscles and there are also daily supps to increase VO2 etc .( does this mean I’ve been officially influenced) Has anybody used these products and found them helpful . I was put off by the fact the supps were made with the mushroom that sounded like the mutant mushroom from the last of us ! Anyways let me know . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Looked it up there. Seems very expensive. Are ye doing the normal free stuff to help recover?

• Advertisement

Yes- but always looking for the easier option - lazy out ! Expensive deep heat probably !

Haha, I've tried most of the stuff tbh.

I'm not sure CBD in small doses will have that much of an effect tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Before you spend your money on some of these products, I suggest that you have a read of a book called "Good to go" by Christie Aschwanden.

It's a really insightful book on tips and tricks for recovery, all back with scientific research. You might be surprised by some of the content. I won't give any spoiler

In fact I'd highly recommend to everyone.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Good-to-Go-Christie-Aschwanden/9780393357714?redirected=true&selectCurrency=EUR&w=AFFPAU9SCH1SXGA8YC5X&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ie_shopping_performance_max&utm_content=ie&gclid=CjwKCAiA9NGfBhBvEiwAq5vSy9GizuPnXgg3C2OJnamxAvXK33DkGPAIygjEZVWPNGavlxOVHwstLhoCuKcQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kids are at a birthday party in the NAC on Sunday, I'm wondering if I can use the time to shop for new kicks but The Run Hub in Ashtown doesn't open on Sundays. Is there anywhere else around Blanch or that side of Dublin that might be open? TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hmmm yeah was hoping for more variety but I wouldn't mind trying on the invincibles. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There's an Elverys and a Heaton's (Sports direct) in Blanch too. Lifestyle sport if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Elverys is best bet. Lifestyle is in same block.

Nike & Sports Direct in block together on far side

Few other shops inside the centre.

But if you were originally looking at Run Hub (great shop), I'd just stick with Elverys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Maybe a strange one, but what do you all wear on a cold morning like tomorrow will be? Layers? Gloves? Hats?

I feel I've made a terrible mistake as my warmest long sleeve (the €11 decathlon one) is not washed! Must get another one when I'm there next

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Gloves and hats get worn in the snow, that's all. Maybe a long sleeve base layer

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Beanie hat, gloves, running tights, long sleeve t-shirt under a light running jacket. Maybe a neck gaiter/buff too if it's windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

This morning was fairly bitter in Cork and I was only doing a very easy run so leggings and a long sleeve top ( not thick ) and I stuck a rain jacket on for a while but had it tied around my waist fairly fast. I find I warm up very fast.

Depends on type of run - slow run - leggings , vest with a half zip - maybe gloves and hat if really cold . Fast session - shorts and long sleeve teeshirt - really cold add same gloves and hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I think everyone has a different internal thermostat so you will have to figure out what works for you for the varying temperatures and conditions.

Arm warmers give a fair bit of flexibility as they are inexpensive and turn any t-shirt into a long sleeve one and can be rolled down to the wrist if you start to feel like you're getting two warm.

Buffs also are pretty versatile if you feel chilly around the neck and can also be used on the head if it rains to keep a bit warmer. Also if it gets too warm as the run progresses you can just wrap it around your wrist and use it as a sweatband. But basically you will have to experiment to find what works best for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks for all the replies!

Apparently it was 1c ("feels like" -2c) this morning when I went out at 7 and I ran with a long sleeve top and run jacket, shorts and under shorts (although that's a constant combo for chaffing reasons)

Was very cold on the hands and ears for for the first km, but after that felt fine. Would probably stick with the same the next time in similar conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best tip I ever got is that take the temperature it is and add 10 degrees to it for a reference on what to wear as to how it will likely feel when running, gloves and a long sleeve t-shirt in cold weather generally does. If it's raining I find wearing a peaked hat that I can shield my face with from the rain works a treat. But like the replies above everyone is different and find out what works for you. I've never done base layers when running as the heat would kill me. Similarly, running jackets are great but less so if it is not minus degrees then it gets pretty warm in them pretty quickly...the tips in relation to tops of run you are doing are good to bear in mind. If it's any form of speed work you will likely not need anything more than long sleeves and gloves in cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

Any suggestions for replacing my aging running earphones currently “Plantronics Backbeat fit” as the battery is not charging as well as it used to be. Important for me would be being able to hear my surroundings when running , good battery life , water/splash proof (current excelled at all these when new).

I did look at Sony linkbuds and Bose sport open ear buds but neither seem to be available currently. I’m not keen on the bone conduction headphones (but haven’t tried them) and I wear glasses which rules them out.

I'm the same as you on the glasses front so I look for in ear options, I couldn't justify going full whack for airpods pro so I went with a cheaper version so I have these and I think they work great so far. https://www.midletonit.ie/shop/0jxx49met0eowqqyeerqlc68uhqdv8

They have noise cancellation that you can turn on/off with a tap to determine how much you want to hear of the outside world.

Previous to these I used some Anker bluetooth earbuds and they worked great and were pretty cheap, I think less than 30 euro. They have been discontinued now but you could try some equivalents from the same brand. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N8RYGC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

The Anker ones look like the job but seems they are currently unavailable too 😕. I’m not too pushed on AirPod style as I just feel I wouldn’t trust them falling out training (or in a race). The plantronics I currently have loop around ears but work well with glasses I have.

Seems most earphones (including sports) have gone down the route of noise almost isolation and those that let the noise in are active (using the anc microphone) rather than just letting the sound in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I wear the Shokz with glasses, not an issue. Does it feel like there's a lot going on around the ears? Sure, but it works fine.

I wear glasses and the Shokz, no issues. ON occasions I have wore sunglass, shokz and a hat, again no issues.

They are single handedly the best running gadget I have ever bought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I wear Shokz and sunglasses and no bother also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Is there any other benefits of wearing performance base layers other than warmth?

Advertisement