Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,378 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Those are my experiences with the Leaf and ID.4 compared to the Auris

I'll admit they both have proper AC while the Toyota just had basic hot/cool air, so maybe that's a factor

I'm certainly never going back to a car that doesn't have an air conditioner

I never found the Leaf's heating to be power hungry. I'd typically be driving around with the heat set to 20C everywhere.

Funny enough I found the demist setting to be the most power hungry, so I'd always lower the fan speed to stop it draining the battery

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Air conditioning in a car <> heat pump

The former can demist the car but not heat it

You will be pleasantly surprised if you ever get to drive an EV with a heat pump from frozen cold :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

It knocks about 8 to 10% off the range in my leaf, multiple short journeys being more range hungry as the car is being brought up to temp each time. That in itself is probably reasonable and comparable to other EVs but the problem I find is that if you are regularly doing multiple journeys that aggregate close to the max range, that 10% can be the difference between having finger nails intact by evening time! So I've evolved into a zipped up jacket wearing driver who is constantly amazed why I'm overheating when I drive the smax!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

2022 What Car? Reliability Survey: electric cars

Our exhaustive annual survey rates the dependability of cars aged up to five years old, based on the experiences of nearly 25,000 owners...

Reliability of Electric cars aged up to five years old

Rank Make and model Score

1. Nissan Leaf (2011-2018) 98.9%

2. MG ZS EV (2019-present) 95.5%

3. Volkswagen e-Golf (2013-2020) 94.7%

4. Kia e-Niro (2019-2022) 94.6%

5. Tesla Model 3 (2019-present) 94.4%

6. Nissan Leaf (2019-present) 93.9%

7. BMW i3 (2013-2022) 92.8% =

8. Audi E-tron (2019-present) 92.0% =

8. Volkswagen ID 3 (2020-present) 92.0%

10. Renault Zoe (2013-present) 89.4%

11. Hyundai Kona Electric (2018-present) 89.1%

12. Hyundai Ioniq Electric (2016-present) 84.4%

13. Jaguar I-Pace (2018-present) 81.5%

14. Tesla Model S (2014-present) 78.9%

Are you going close to the max range very often?

I think I've only had one or two times I had enough short journeys in one day to get me below 20%

No option of a daytime top-up if you go below 50%?

Just seems a bit extreme to live without heating year round if it's a pretty rare event that you need to

• Advertisement

Just typical Leaf driver. Zipped up jacket. Blanket over their legs, wearing gloves and driving at 88km/h on the motorway 😂

That's like year 1 of driving a Leaf, then you drive it down to 8% and the GOM gives up but you still make it home with going into turtle mode

After that you feel bulletproof 😎

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Something wrong there, I set my 3 to 18degrees at pickup last year and never have to change it, keep temp very constant regardless of weather and it's lightning quick to get from below freezing to 18degrees as it runs the motor to generate heat into the heat pump in an extremely efficient manner (albeit at a cost of 7+kW continuously for the 3-4 minutes required)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

The dreaded '--' on both the % battery remaining and the GOM display. The first time I got those I nearly had a panic attack. Now I completely ignore them and use the Leafspy KWh remaining figure as my true guide as to whether I can make it home. As long as I have 0.7 KWh left as I climb the last hill I know I'm safe.

Now you know why I'm itching to leave all that stress behind and get myself a (used) M3 LR. If only I didn't need to run a 7 seater😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

There are still a couple of warnings after the '---'. First the last battery bar disappears what feels like ages after the percentage had disappered. Then the power bubbles' outer rings start to go out to indicate power limit when you accelerate but at even speed they do reappear again. Once the current power level and those bubbles meet you get the turtle mode. So the slower you accelerate at low battery the longer you have to go before the turtle but the eventual shutdown happens quicker.

On our well used L30 I can sometimes trigger a less serious the turtle mode if the battery is properly cold and you have a "cold start" with less than 10% of battery remaining. The acceleration is seriously reduced but the car will just keep on going on this turtleish mode for a long time. I think it's to stop you to accidentally hit the proper turtle mode where the acceleration is properly and dangerously glacial. I call this "turtle light". Never experienced it on L24/L40 so it could be just an indication that our battery is getting a bit tired.

Edit: And yes. The M3 LR with 20% of battery remaining has the same range as a L24 with full battery ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

my friends enyaq has one and he can hardly tell the difference and he paid something like 1400 euro extra for it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Her husband said rather wryly, if she had a wood stove on the back seat she'd still be complaining ☺️ in saying that it was a 2018 or 19 car, it obviously didn't put her off driving them as she has a new one now. Lovely red😎

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Interesting video recently from out-of-spec, they tested a PTC vs Heat Pump Model 3 in very cold conditions (-28c). The heat pump did a much better job at heating the cabin

Tesla only started selling the Model 3 in Ireland in late 2019 and back then the cars didn't have a heat pump. Also she could have heated the car up remotely either automatically on a timer or from the app on her phone from anywhere in the world

Seems to me she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Quite a nice woman actually, she's a company director of a very successful company so there's certainly nothing lacking in the smarts department. Absolutely no need for that last sentence.

For any cat fans in North Dublin, there's an Ora Funky Cat sitting in the middle of Pavilions shopping centre (as advertising, not bad parking 😂)

Nice looking car, looks about Leaf24 sized and nice looking interior. For €32k it's almost worth giving your location away to the Chinese government (as if they don't already know) 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

giving your location away to the Chinese government (as if they don't already know)

Worse. I have Chinese engineers messing with the settings of my inverter unbeknownst to me. Mind I could give them the two fingers and pull the wifi module out of course 😂

Yeah I had to laugh with the Sofar app because literally the first thing it asks for is the GPS location of your house

Why???

I tried setting it to the middle of the Beaufort dyke but they wouldn't accept that as an address

So Ireland's Eye just got a new residential solar installation 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,938 ✭✭✭✭josip

When will the government formally announce what is happening the €5,000 grant from the 1st of July? Sometime during June or earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

When they introduced the 60k ceiling it was made public in the first week of April to take effect in July The UK gov announced it for the next day. Considering they announced modifications at the budget day I'd expect a closer to deadline approach. May perhaps

Ionity opening up new hubs in France:

It doesn't exactly spell it out in the article but there's two hubs on the same route (think Castlebellingham services) and each has 16x 350kW chargers 😱

And a rain shelter, although f**k knows why they need that it the south of France

Looking at the service areas they're actually pretty decent, certainly a lot nicer than any of our TII sites

Nice work Ionity, can we have some of those in Ireland please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

rain shelter or solar panel array, every little helps

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Every time I see the inflation reduction act mentioned it makes me smile

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That’s no rain shelter…..

Rain shelters work outside Ireland, I think we're the only place where the rain goes every direction except vertical

I've seen vertical rainfall

It was moving upwards after bouncing off the ground, but still vertical 😁

Anyway can we have some shelters over our chargers please? You can put sun shelters over them if you want, they'll keep some of the rain off 😂

You'd struggle to find the sun in the sky here on some days 😬

Anyway, it's good to see Ionity have rediscovered the age old trick of putting a cover over the humans to stop them being miserable and I would like to see more of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,938 ✭✭✭✭josip

A sunshade is arguably more needed at European charging stations than a rain shade is needed at Irish charging stations. In the European scenario, the shade will reduce the amount of aircon you'll need and will help you charge faster. Plus, it's more pleasant to wait in shade with aircon off and doors open, than in exposed sun with aircon on. Whereas in Ireland the rain shelter will only stop you getting wet, but won't impact your charging time.

Advertisement