Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I find it incredible that there are posters here who are calling for Ministers and TDs to get involved in the day-to-day running of the banks. It seems that some of the recent SF supporters long for a return to the days when you had to know your local TD to get a deal from a bank.

Politicians should not get involved in how a bank is run.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Multiple posts deleted. If you want to claim that AIB had some sectarian motivation in how it wrote off loans, there's a forum for that. It's not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Correct and great point. But Yates was not a GAA star.🤨

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's not day-to-day running of the bank, its strategic decision making. The govt having a say over which branches provided which service would be impacting the day-to-day running of the bank.

Also yes, its partly grandstanding and making politics of the situation - quite similar to what you are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A policy for writing down debt is also 'strategic decision making' and these guys will be brought in to explain it. Every party in the Dáil are calling for it so the 'grandstanding' claim is just ahving a dig.

Yes, the policy is. The implementation is not. The questionable implementation that has arisen is why management are now being called to explain.

I'm having a dig at literally every single party because it is just another example of political interference. Something people alternatively deride and demand depending on how it suits them.

I don't understand your position.

Are you saying 'just work away lads'?

You are absolutely correct that this issue has nothing to do with politicians. We do not want a return to clientist politics where you had to know somebody to get a loan or get appointed to a public position.

It is a matter in the first instance for the bank's Internal Audit Unit to examine the transaction. If they have concerns, it goes to the CEO and on to the Board. Only then, if the matter is of material interest and could affect the share price, would the shareholders enter into it. If it is of minor materiality and not illegal, internal processes would deal with it. If it is criminal, it is for the gardai.

At no stage do politicians have a role. This is the usual grandstanding on here to deflect from other issues.

Whatever happened, a leak? a whistleblower? has exposed this issue.

We the taxpayer own this bank and we the taxpayer, elect politicians to look after our interests. No individual politician is getting involved here, it's for the Finance Committee under whose remit this comes to ask questions and get answers. That is perfectly appropriate and not at all unprecedented.

• Advertisement

I'm saying, as blanch mentioned, that there is a proper process for these things and frankly neither the finance committee or the opposition are treating this in anything close to good faith. But such is the nature of politics.

My original bone of contention was that this is not "damaging" for the govt at all despite your efforts to portray it as such because they are not micromanaging AIB and nor should they be. They can not be reasonably expected to do anything other than investigate a potential breach of policy.

that this is not "damaging" for the govt

Well that remains to be seen. This happened in 2017 and probably wasn't an isolated case. If nobody in government was looking at accounts and audits and questioned write-offs like this, then that is incompetence at best. There was a heated row (where the Gardai had to be called) here at a Credit Union AGM when it was dicovered in their annuall accounts that two write-offs were made to 2 developers.

Shareholders won't nor should be overlooking these things. At the very least , you have a duty to ask questions.

I am beginning to think that there is some sort of self-sustaining hysteria function in social media where every issue is seen through a lens of being damaging for the government. It seems to be borne of some sort of desperation.

This is a matter for the bank. Who made the decision? Did they follow policy and procedure? If not, was the policy correct? If they didn't follow it, was the decision still reasonable? If not, is it then a matter material enough for disciplinary action? Is it part of a pattern that needs to be referred to Internal Audit? Is it a matter that Internal Audit consider serious enough to bring to the attention of the CEO, the Board, or the external auditors? Does the Regulator need to be involved?

Those are a lot of hoops before we get anywhere near a political consideration. A single one-off decision by a bank employee should not result in such a media feast.

If nobody in government was looking at accounts and audits and questioned write-offs like this, then that is incompetence at best

No it isn't. That is incredibly not the shareholders responsibility in such a massive organisation. It is the responsibility of the internal audit team, external auditors and management.

And yes, it does remain to be seen to be fair, because political fallout from events is rarely based on facts. However, your track record of portending political fallout isn't great.

I think the stance that this should not be examined is more dodgy to be honest. I expect it to be, based on the precedents linked to above. Accountability of course I would not be so optimistic about. But that should not insulate them from scrutiny or whosoever was responsible for oversight. The horse has bolted again but we should make sure no more escape at least.

I never said it shouldn't be examined nor has anyone else. Suggesting otherwise is malicious. If the shareholder was not the government, this is not how the process would be taking place.

This is just the usual shtick of people demanding political interference and micromanaging when it suits them and bemoaning it when it doesn't. Both opposition and the government should (and probably do) know better but unfortunately much of politics is reduced to theatre and we have only ourselves to blame for that.

We are now getting to the stage where the public service is becoming paralysed with fear around risk because of the theatre and antics of the Dail, and the Public Accounts Committee in particular.

A senior public servant mentioned to me recently that the most important part of her job was keeping her boss out of the PAC i.e. making sure no decision was taken that had the possibility of rebounding unfairly. It creates a fear of risk, an inability to take a decision, and results in a low-performing public service. And that is something that cannot be laid at the feet of the government, it is something that opposition politicians in particular have to own.

Sorry. What are you saying then?

This happened in 2017, ample time for internal management to review and intervene.

If they have, then they need to issue a statement on what was done on foot of this. I.E. Did they sign off on the end of year accounts/audit.

They haven't issued a statement. So I presume it wasn't done for whatever reason.

Next step ; on behalf of the taxpayer, the Finance Committee intervenes and asks the question. If they have nothing to hide or did nothing untoward, they ahve nothing to fear from scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if an oireachtas committee is being told today that they legally cannot ask the bank about one persons account at the hearing , what hope dose some one in the government have ,

this is more of a case of find a good enough solicitor and you can get away with anything , the red tape thats required to investigate such an issue is mind boggling

Will miss these two. Excellent parliamentarians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Next week, the Press Conference where Labour announces that they are absorbing the SD.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

With Labour in it's current state it should be the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The party has four other TDs – Holly Cairns, Jennifer Whitmore, Gary Gannon and Cian O'Callaghan

Much like the Labour leadership this one could be over before it even begins, if 3 of them aren't interested.

One problem is that Jennifer Whitmore was the only one of them not elected on the final count in 2020 and Holly Cairns was the only one in a constituency where SF didn't end up with a massive surplus with nobody to transfer to. In short, any of them could lose their seat quite easily at the next election.

I guess that's not really a unique problem though - Eamon Ryan and Ivana Bacik are in the same boat on that front (and actually in the same constituency as it happens)

I might be wrong but it doesn't sound like they are quitting as TDs. At least not from the info on that link anyway. I guess they will say one way or the other at the press conference.

They have said that they are not leaving politics.

However, with the Social Democrats hovering around 2% in the polls and SF aggressively targeting their seats, their time is limited.

I wouldn't write them off based on low poll numbers. Much like PBP/SOL, they're the sort of party who will do well in a small number of constituencies and poorly in the rest. That sort of lop-sided distribution is hard for national polls to capture. In 2020 they got 2.9% of the vote overall and PBP/SOL got 2.6%. If you get that in a single constituency you haven't a hope of getting a seat but they ended up with 11 seats between them because those votes weren't evenly distributed throughout the country.

The SF factor is certainly going to be dangerous for them. I don't think they were as dependent on their transfers as PBP/SOL, for example, were but certainly Gary Gannon wouldn't have been elected if MLM had had a running mate to transfer to. With SF likely to hoover up a far larger share of the left-wing vote next time around though things are going to be rough for SD, LAB, Greens and PBP/SOL

Where they might get lucky is with the restructuring of the constituencies. It's looking like 20ish extra seats and a lot of them will be in the greater Dublin area, which is their heartland.

That all depends on the size of constituencies. Elsewhere, looking at the population numbers, if Galway City gets squeezed into a three-seater, their chances there go out the window. Similarly, if Dublin Central loses population to Dublin West to make it a five-seater, Gannon loses out further.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

SF wont make the same mistakes this time around, they will shove second candidates in anywhere they can.

In that (very likely) scenario, the SDs are in big trouble, they rely heavily on left transfers.

I don't think a new leader for the SDs can magically whip up new votes, they need to run more candidates across the board but it is too late for that now. They are weak in rural areas, with the exception of Cairns. I fear if she becomes leader her seat will be in danger as leader of the party will see her spending more time in Dublin which wont make her constituents happy.

We all know parish pump politics is what gets you elected! and given IIRC that her getting in came down to one single vote, I think she is in serious trouble.

• Advertisement

they need to run more candidates

I agree with this. I think there comes a time were you have to take the leap or wither on the vine. I'd love to see an SD candidate here to endorse their excellent record on opposition and calling to account.

Advertisement