Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"An hour from Dublin"

• 21-02-2023 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

When the advertisers mention your portlaoises and your Dundalks of this world, they hardly mean the GPO as the starting point?

If they mean the M50 then they should be shot. Nobody lives there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"An hour from Dublin (county)"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

That kind of selling point should attract a premium, the further away the better :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

More people live in the vicinity of the M50 than near the GPO. However, people are interested in where their employment is, and there is quite a lot of employment around the M50.

You can drive through the tunnel from the Liffey to Dundalk in one hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect estate agents don't have a reference standard of what 'an hour from dublin' is. 1h29m? let's round that down.

the city north hotel, overlooking the M1, is an outrageous insult to common sense though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Standing there, waiting to view the place beside your coughing car when off in the distance you hear the Sherry Fitz chopper thrumming closer and closer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's nearly as bad as thinking there's more than one Portlaoise and Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

An hour driving at exactly the speed limit with absolutely no traffic, stop signs or red lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There are parts of Dublin that are more than an hour from Dublin.

Anyway the standard here is the nearest M50 junction in zero traffic conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When the City North Hotel was newly opened I had to bring a group of people there by bus one night from the airport as their flight was cancelled. When I turned north on the M1, they all started shouting that I was going the wrong way. They thought it would be around the Druncondra area!

My house in north Co Dublin is about 30/40 mins drive from the airport yet houses for sale in the area are advertised as being '10 mins from airport". You wouldn't do it in 10 mins in a helicopter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"a stone's throw from X", "commuter's dream" 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

An hour from the GPO is around Donnybrook for a large part of the working day, good luck getting there during rush hour from the M50. Took me an hour the other day to get from Loughlinstown to Blackrock, traffic is an utter nightmare and getting worse as the population grows.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you worked in the airport, as many do, then you might as well live in South Armagh as somewhere like Shankhill or Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Classic Auctioneer clickbait such as:

"minutes away from shops, schools, etc"

"centrally located with quick access to the motorway"

"A brisk walk to the town centre"

"A short hop to local amenities"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unfortunately the navigation option on google maps does not include 'helicopter' for me to fact check your claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A little regulation of them wouldnt go amiss. Is there anything to stop them from advertising a spot in Clare "an hour from Dublin airport"?

Advertisement