Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Stop being silly. You know full well that in 2035 a ban on new petrol and diesel cars kicks in.

I'm alright by the way, I've PV panels, a driveway for 4 or 5 cars and we are transitioning out cars to electric at the moment.

But it's totally untested for people who don't have a personal dedicated charging point.

Its a big roll of the infrastructure dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

The car cost me 18k at the time, something the same price would require a charge, same journey using overall consumption figures in my present 18000 euro car is 9 euro, I believe you are fairly good at maths, maybe you can compare the cost of your car/consumption figures with mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you keep referring to a small market segment, are there any numbers on % of car owners with their own driveway?

The new outlander has twice the battery size 20 kWh, not enough to do it in one go, but I could take a whizz or burger break, I heard they are great. a quick look on Ecars suggests its possible with chademo, I am not going to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,186 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You could get a zoe for 18k now. There's a ZE40 zoe for sale in a dealer in wexford for 16k. That would do the trip easily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not untested, I quite literally do it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭innrain

It was a rental in a different country and you missed the minus in the consumption figure. For this I said fairy dust. Is as the car produced electricity on the way. For the second time I got a rental PHEV with depleted battery and the slow charging speed which discourages people to plug-in. It was a two day rental so a proper EV would have suited me just fine. Sorry I missed all the fun after your reply, trying to catch up the 100+ posts but didn't get if you have driven/owned an EV and made you less happy?

For the hypothetical journey to the all Ireland final, the post suggesting to take the train makes most sense but I understand doesn't suits everyone. Probably the next one down the line is to book a hotel which would probably be my choice in this hypothetical situation. From the rest of the posts I understand some view EV drivers are a bunch of hippies/tree huggers who make sacrifices in their lives, by peeing to often taking detours which doesn't suit and eating unnecessary burgers and pastries in the very busy petrol stations. All true probably 10 years ago. Let's meet again in another 10. Oh and I live in an apartment because I believe it is more sustainable from the energy point of view, we are a 2 car family because that it is life. Both are EVs first one since 2019 and the second one since 2021. I drive about 35k km a year if I don't count the rentals as my job asks for some travel outside of the island. I've rented about sever cars last year, from which, one EV, 2 PHEVs and the rest ICEs. If I get the chance I will always choose EV. I did Zurich - Bern - Zurich - Vaduz in one evening with the rented Leaf. Maybe not my choice of a car but beats a fiesta.

If one would look further than our neighbors from which we inherit a lot of lifestyle ref housing, would see more dense cities with high rise buildings and less driveways. They manage pretty well EV ownership. Nobody forces you to buy an EV. As it happens greens did the least ref EVs as they are very anti car ownership in general.

I really don't know.

Is it relevant? Anybody with a dedicated apartment or on street parking space can't just get a charger.

Why do you keep dodging the question of which EV you drive in Ireland that you are unhappy with. You keep bringing up UK statistics without any apparent insight from your own usage. I think you might not actually have any experience in owning an EV, at least not in Ireland.

We have electric, petrol and diesel here.

I'm not at all unhappy with all the juice that comes from the PV into the batteries. Hopefully an abundance for the summer.

I'm just not buying the whole EV project.

Grand if you have a driveway, brilliant if you have PV but after that it seems a bit of a crazy roll of the dice to force on everybody else.

I don't buy any of the better for the planet nonsense either. I hate people talking about zero emission vehicles.

I alternate between manual and automatic vehicles and don't really get too excited about either

I suppose my attitude is they are great if you have one but at the same time think a lot of it is all a load of bollox.

• Advertisement

It was one trip, I do on occasions more than 400km, a hairdresser's car is not practical.

If I was going Ev, something like a 77 I'd 4, or a model s 100, or a model y long range if there was some sort of instrument cluster add on . I cannot pass the bland barren look of it.

If you up your 18k to 25k you could get a used model S. Model 3 is probably the cheapest new Ev capable of such long ranges. A damn side nicer to drive than an outlander too. I'm not a tesla fanboy but an outlander , phev or otherwise, wouldnt be my choice for long distance driving.

Outside of the Tesla group you could look at something from MEB but these are now dearer than Tesla. Alternatively the MG 4 or MG5 or Ora Funky Cat would be left field options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So you can't buy second hand ice cars from 2035?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you dont know then why continually refer to the % of people buying cars with their own driveway as a small segment.

and people with an apartment can get a charger, i know a lady that managed it 7 years ago, i presume it has gotten easier since.

I was referring to the % of EV drivers, with a driveway, is something like 93%, clearly, take-up of EV's is by and large to people with home charging.

The low hanging fruit so to speak. It's penetrating the next phase that the fun will really begin.

EV and driveway is a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

There's a huge difference between discussing what a Leaf 30 kwh or Outlander driven in EV mode can do....

And where EVs are heading now and in the future.

Infrastructure is going to be key....

But bear in mind that it's now possible with best EVs and good Infrastructure to do 1000 kms in 9.5 hours.

That's what Bjorn Neyland can do with sperior Norwegian and Swedish Infrastructure and high performing EVs like EQS or Model S plaid.

Like many people in EV circles I've stopped taking Nissan seriously.....

But they are implying that in the 2030s we will be having solid state batteries.

Which illustrates that we shouldn't assume 2035 scenarios based on today.

Nissan say 2028 but I would assume slippage.

As we speak Teslas are able to hit 50 percent charge in 15 mins on cars with 200 miles full charge range....

Nio are swopping battery packs from empty pack to full pack in 5 mins....

That's *today*

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

With an average annual distance travelled of 17,000km that's only 325km per week. There's a good number of cars on the market today with that range. Managing the requirement to charge your car is nowhere near the huge obstacle that those who haven't attempted it believe. I would wonder how the annual mileage is spread for people with apartments which tend to be in more built up areas with better local amenities versus people in rural areas who drive more.

As mentioned a few times now, there's active work going on within the Dublin councils to replicate structures seen abroad that satisfy distract charging requirements. I know public/civil sector can be slow in Ireland but nobody really expects them to wait till Dec 31st on 2034 before rolling something out. Private sector investment in charging infra is also increasing dramatically, I don't think EV charging is going to be the first ever example of increased demand not leading to increased investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Does the ICE driver not need to refuel anymore? Is this the magical self charging cars? An EV driver saves hours per year on refueling vs an ice driver.

Having to stop for 20mins once a year for Ireland day is hardly the same inconvenience of having to drive to a garage, queue to get in, queue for a pump, queue in the shop every single week....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

'EV and driveway is a no brainer'.

You are also forgetting the driveways in older houses. Those may need substantial upgrade or at worst a full rewire before installing a home charger.

This potentially adds to the cost by 10k plus and there is no grant for same.

Therefore that next phase is an even bigger challenge than you have outlined.

• Advertisement

And the EV driver with no driveway, how does he fare all year?

We are in the low hanging fruit phase.

It's penetrating the next market segment that's the real challenge.

It's not a challenge @Killer K we already have approaches in other European Jurisdictions and we have active work by councils in Ireland to provide similar infrastructure, don't be confused by people without experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Sorry, don't understand your post. There is a cohort of people out there who live in houses who will need some form of upgrade before installing a charger. This might be relatively cheap, or could be quite costly. This may preclude them from home charging. How is it not a challenge for them personally if they want an EV and wish to charge at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

At a very basic level, an outdoor socket can be installed for very little money, or DIY for less. Charging at 2kW per hour is not as good as charging at 3kW for those with a 16A charger, or at 7kW for kost with a 32A charger, but it's more than enough for the majority of people if they don't want to install a more expensive charger or there is a need to upgrade wiring.

I have an outdoor socket which we use mostly to charge the Leaf because it is convenient for us. The M3 charges at the 7kW charger, but I could use the granny charger and get more than enough night rate electricity to cover my 70km commute. I did this for the first couple of weeks while waiting for the new charge point. Both cars were charger from 2 outdoor sockets regularly.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Where's the challenge, I'm one of those people who live in an apartment and don't have a charge points where my car parks. I charge it by going down to the local supermarket and plug it in whilst I'm doing my shopping. This form of charging is just one of the many mechanisms that are in place in other EU countries and are being developed by the Dublin City councils project.

I don't see a problem that both has a solution and is being actively worked on as a challenge. With todays cars we're talking about a requirement to charge the car once a week. By the time the 2035 ban comes along, cars will charge quicker and it's likely that 500km ranges are the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

How big a cohort is it though, 33% of households in Dublin City, which would be where most people without driveways live, don't have a car of any sort.

There's always a cohort that anything won't suit, but for the other 90% of car owners the future has arrived.

• Advertisement

Additionally, if you're doing the average of 12000km a year, you could manage with one charge a week. Not an issue anymore, there are further options beside 24kWh leafs these days.

I had a couple of weeks there where I went 12 days without charging the car, simply because I was only doing local driving. My usual weeks involve a couple of wexford-dublin-wexford trips.

Advertisement