Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I've spent the last couple of days binging on analysis, Talking heads round-table chats, news articles, opinion pieces etc on where, through the fog of war, we really stand with respect to the war. Here is what I've gathered are the real worries behind the scenes in government corridors. As Trotsky once said: " You may not be really interested in the war, but the war is Interested in you..."

1. Europe needs to take this war more seriously. Ukraine is now the front line for Europe. Ukranians are essentially fighting for us.

2. Defence spending has increased by 60% in Russia.

3. US Armament factories are flat out producing shells for artillery and HIMARS but still needed to take back pre-positioned shell stocks from Israel and South Korea to divert them towards the Ukraine.

3.There is an underlying fear that, through sheer numbers ( of shells and people), together with dragging the war out and without NATO intervention, that Russia could actually retain the Donbass and decapitate the Kiev Government.

4. Countries such as the UK and Germany, who have let their militarys decline over the decades need to wake up and immediately ramp up production of supplies and weapons. At the moment, despite what some might say, Russia is out-producing Europe and the US in shells. Europe hasn't even begun yet.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I agree with all of that. Putin is showing no signs of easing up on his murderous campaign in fact if anything he is threatening to ramp it up. I'm not militarily wise enough to know what should be done but I believe something drastic should be done to put an end to his campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

I hope to God all those useless arseholes are voted out next time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I suspect, given the responses to earlier posts, that this will be an unpopular opinion but regardless: I do not agree with the notion that all Russian people are complicit with what is happening in Ukraine unless they are actively fighting against it - especially those people actually living in Russia. Russia is not a democracy. Russia does not have freedom of speech. All of that stuff that conspiratorial nutcases in the USA talk about where the government show up at your house to arrest you for things that you have said. Well that is actually happening in Russia right now. They still can't even refer to what is going in as a "War". They can't legally protest. At the same time they are being inundated with propaganda and any independent media has been shut down or driven out of the country.

So if you were a regular person, living in Russia what would you be doing right now? It's very easy to say that you'd be walking up and down the street with a placard saying that "Putin is a Murderer" or that you'd be fire-bombing recruitment base. It's very easy to say that when you know that you will never have to makes those choices. Everyone can be brave in their imaginations. It's another thing when the very real possibility of ending up in a Russian penal colony is the inevitable result of your, most likely, futile protest. A place where rape, torture and murder is common practice.

Maybe you'd say that you'd leave the country and maybe you would. Maybe you don't have the resources though. Going into exile is hard. You might have family commitments - people who depend on you actually being there in person. Fleeing is an unimaginable luxury for many people.

Now I'm not for one moment defending the propagandists, the intelligence services, the oligarchs, the police and all of the rapists, murders and torturers in the Russian army. Those people are scum and I hope that if there is a hell that they'll end up in it.

I guess I'm defending ordinary Russian people from that charge that they're "a sub-human race" or whatever it was that someone said earlier. I understand where that poster is coming from. When I see the atrocities committed in Ukraine or when I see Russians in places like Germany obnoxiously marching down the street with their Russian flags spouting propaganda I too am disgusted. It doesn't sit right with me though to castigate the entire nation as, essentially vermin. Just because Putin is a monster doesn't mean that everyone in the country is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

The west needs to ramp up production of anti personnel ammunition. Lots of dead Russians will take the pressure off and encourage young Russians to get out of Russia.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

I said this last year. Russia would attack and attack then one day the attacks would suddenly stop because they ran out of ammo. When you hear them questioning NATO's ability to maintain their ammo supplies they are really speaking about their own. They often project their weaknesses onto the west in a sort of reverse psychology for simpletons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It would save using the AT weapons. I recently seen a video of an AT rocket hitting a bunch of Russian soldiers.

How do you even start to clean up that mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,054 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The voice of reason? You should have chosen loaderballs, it would have been more apt. 😛 And we're off with the "feeble minded ignoramus".

Any more garbage to report? 🤣

Just take a look at a map of Europe, not to mention Africa and Asia, and see how many of those nations peoples up against oppression and tyranny. TBH I'm a lot less concerned about the sensitivities of Russian citizens than I am about the plight of Ukranians today. And don't forget those Russian bustards don't intend stopping at Ukraine, so **** the lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Broadly agree with the sentiment here; although one thing to keep in mind is that Putin's rise to power didn't happen in a vacuum. Large numbers of Russian people did and continue to vote for and support him.

I suppose the question is: if Russia's people are not willing to keep their Government in check then who is going to do it?

I think the answer is: nobody else can. NATO cannot intervene within Russia because Russia has nuclear weapons and other capabilities which it would certainly use even in its death throes if a foreign power invaded.

If the entire world banded together and imposed sanctions on Russia maybe that would do it: but as we know that just isn't going to happen (China/India I'm looking at you).

So whilst I do agree with the sentiment I also think large scale civil disobedience is probably the only thing that would actually put a stop to the war (beyond Ukrainian military victory of course); but yet the Russian people seem to have zero appetite for that struggle. Compare and contrast with the Maidan in Ukraine for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

Not inhuman?

They really can't help themselves can they?

Yes I think the failure of Russians living abroad to actively protest against the war speaks volumes of the Russian psyche. In general they are a cold insensitive people and show no desire to oppose their murdering leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

My wife, her family here and I were were outside the Russian Embassy immediately after and still campaign with the Russia diaspora here against the war. It is not for her to discuss rape to others, but the Russians back home are well aware as they all have access to Telegram. They're not as oblivious as you seem to think and definitely don't support the war by majority. That concept might make them easier to hate, but it just isn't true.

Beverly Hills, California

So are you claiming all Russians are now inhumane because of graffiti in Latvia? Are you to blame for the mother and baby homes?

Fair play to you protesting against the war but to be honest I see little evidence of Russians protesting either here or back in Russia. And to be perfectly frank I care little for what Russians do at this stage ,they certainly won't be rising up against putins tyranny anyway. I care much more for those people that are being raped tortured and murdered by Russians and I hope Russia pays a very heavy price for this, slava Ukraine 🇺🇦

I think it's just important to avoid tarring all Russians with the same brush, there's 140 million of them and a few hundred thousand doing the raping/butchering. Going down the road of labelling all Russians as one leads to the same situation we're all horrified over. I spend most weeks in the company of Ukrainians who don't even hate all Russians, because they're not idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

We're discussing russia,not mother and baby homes,so I'm not interested in your deflection.

What I am interested in is what do you think of the russian Nazi symbol of the war being spray painted onto a memorial for Holocaust victims?

Because in my book that is a Inhumane despicable act of hatred,you reap what you sow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Considering as you say there are 140 million of them, one would think there would be a lot more protest by them against the war their country is waging, if that was the sentiment.

It's absolutely inhumane, childish, dim. The person who spray painted that symbol on the memorial is a thick-headed fool. Inhuman act for use, but that speaks to the person who did the act, not all Russians. So my point is, you're not responsible for all attrocities committed by Irish people just because you too may be Irish.

There are constant protests in Russia, but they are always stomped out and people are silenced through beatings, imprisonment or both. My wife's cousin is wheelchair bound now because he was imprisoned and purposely denied his lifesaving medication, more than likely going to die. He's one of many and this deters others from doing the same. Such is life under an autocracy and brutality, with a controlled narrative through media.

Don't get me wrong, plenty Russians are for the invasion and toe the line but so so many don't.

TBH I couldn't care less how Russians are regarded throughout the world but I'm sure you are aware that they are hated throughout the western world and with justification I might add. And seeing as Russians themselves are not going to bring about an end to this brutality I don't think they can have much grounds for complaint if outside forces put an end to it.

There is absolutely no justification to hate all Russians because of this war. That is the kind of mentality that leads to the genocide we're seeing today. A person who hates an entire nation of people are only a different path in life away from being a Putin or the Russians raping innocent Ukrainians. Most people are good and intelligent enough to understand the complexities of a situation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've been reading similar and it's deeply concerning.

My only hope is russian corruption, alcoholism and poor quality control will result in far fewer usable munitions than these figures suggest.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

This ^^

If you walk past the GPO most evenings you will see people protesting about dictator murderous regimes in their home countries.

I’ve seen Syrians, Lebanese, Myanmar all wave blood stained flags of their leaders to express their disapproval and need for change.

Now when it comes to Russians abroad yes we’ve seen protests… but all in support of Putin!

these range from Russians in Germany waving Z flags and protesting against Ukrainian refugees.

Russians waving Z flags in Dublin on the M50 and phoenix park.

Russians racially assaulting Ukrainians in Spain.

And then the sporting events be it boxing or motor racing, Russian athletes openly displaying Z flags or tattoos to express their support of the war.

But posters on here say the majority of Russians are against the war but yet we haven’t seen proof of that anywhere in the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Easier to hate" sums it up pretty much. The mentality that jumps to "orcs" is the same as the one that jumps to "hohols". Basic tribal Them Vs Us human nature. Just pick a side. It's how and why conflicts like this are revved up in the population to the point where some will kill and die for that by leaders for their own ends, all too rarely righteous ends.

And those calling for Russians to rise up? Even when we see mass demonstrations in free western nations, it's a tiny percentage of the population of those nations, whether most people actively or tacitly agree or disagree with the marchers. A "milllion man" march in the US would be 0.3% of the US population.

Oh it's easy to be a keyboard warrior, the tech extension of the man in the pub, but actual heroes and revolution starters and dissenters get lauded with medals, statues and streets named after them, precisely because they're incredibly rare people. It's only when a population hits a critical mass do more and more join, because they feel "safer" to do so. Even so when such revolutions do happen if you look at the actual percentage of the population actually pulling the levers and doing the dirty work, it's still a small percentage. The vast mass of humanity trundle on, worried about their lives, families and kids hoping it'll work out in times of turmoil. Look at the much smaller stuff going on heere at the moment, the anti/pro asylum seeker marches. A few thousand on either side. The millions of Irish people beyond that might nod or shout at their tellies, but then back to soaps, twitter, Game of Trek and Love Dates Island. And autocrats rely on this.

Putin did. That's how he got where he is and why he still has support, particularly among the older Russian population. Those that lived through the Times of Troubles Part II of the 90's and the near overnight collapse of the old order. Overnight people lost their savings, people lost their jobs, people lost their future and the future of their children when that old order collapsed. Never mind the barbarity and criminality that followed as it tends to do when society breaks down. Every single one of us here is a potential victim or savage when the money and food and future run out. Just a week of empty supermarkets equals societal chaos.

Now putin is seen - and of course pushes this heavily, though not without some merit Russian style - as the man who stopped that. The man who got the economy back up and running(by selling off the family jewels and keeping most for him and his mates, but enough people got scraps from that table), the man who put food on tables and gave Russians back their futures, particularly those in the cities(rural Russians were and remain far more old school and independent and used to hardships and prepared for them) and even their pride. A Russian woman I knew who got out in the mid 90's and never looked back, dared not to as she'd few family left(premature deaths and suicides during the 90's), went back for a visit to her home city(whose name escapes. Lots of S' T's and K's anyway)around ten years ago and she told me Russia had changed beyond measure and for the positive from her time and distance perspective.

IMHO if you want to know when Russians are seething underneath, don't watch for revolution, watch for apathy. Not when they cheer or boo at rallies, but when they're silent.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Many of them are against the war, not for Ukraine's sake, but for their own sake. It upsets their apple cart. There's a difference.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement