Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

"British producers are starting to move into the growing season, which is expected to ease long-term pressures on retailers looking for alternatives to items produced in Spain and north Africa"

Is that not the definition of self sufficiency?

And

The 350 million a week would be 18 billion odd over the year

The NHS budget 22/23 over the 52 weeks of the year is 180 billion sterling

The NHS budget 2016 was £191.7 billion

So that's a saving and when you factor in the inflation it's a considerable saving altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^^

Thanks for proving Leave Campaign promises were lies.

Im not sure how you interpreted the figures and dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But why do you think Europe is struggling to export to UK?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, from the twitter thread posted here yesterday, the UK had a new wonderful post-Brexit treaty with Morocco to ensure a produce supply. Said treaty included a new UK specific ferry service to Morocco to avoid transiting through those pesky EU countries.

Fast forward: no ferry line emerged, and Morocco's not treating the UK any different than the rest of the EU. So, yet again, the UK government's preparation for Brexit ended up as a lie told to the press. And rationing. They really love their WWII nostalgia in the UK.

• Advertisement

You showed how NHS budget dropped nearly 12B since 2016, this after the Leave campaign said Brexit would an 'extra' 350M/week for the NHS.

How do you want to interpret the figures and dates?

Morocco like Spain has had very poor weather that has affected fruit production.

Here's a video from RTE news yesterday showing empty warehouses around Ireland. Usually would be full of fruit and vegetables

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Even by Brexiteer standards trying to fudge a decrease into an increase is amazing.

And some of the pictures in his responses.

So why don't you tell us why other areas in Europe can clearly source produce, but the UK can't?

Is there rationing in Ireland? Because Tesco yesterday had plenty of vegetables.

Let me dumb this down for you: Bad weather happens. Crops fail. But, a resilient implementation copes - like, has lots of suppliers and ways to get product (perhaps at higher price) from more remote sources. Plenty of tomatoes can come from South America, too. Even the USA.

The UK lied about that treaty, with no consequence. There never was a ferry service. Like there was never 350m coming back from to the NHS.

But, do keep up the deflection. And, a victory garden can help, plus I think the allotment system in the UK is still going.

• Advertisement

Lol. The second picture is a farmers market. Locally grown produce

I'm sure you are aware but they have a fantastic climate in France.

See the sky in the second image and the fact people are wearing short sleeves.

What did you think of the RTE news report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Did you just post a picture of a local farmers market in France? 🤦‍♂️🤣

You were given multiple reports stating the reason why there's a shortage yet are still counteracting these facts using tweets from absolute nobodies as your "proof".

Its clear you saw that screen grab from the BBC on twitter and never read the full article. This is what happens when you get drip-fed all your information from far left biased rando's on Twitter

The bio of this lord paulie guy you follow - Brexit? Yea pfuk dat. Ultra rejoiner. woke. EU citizen. Warning, gratuitous swearing if necessary. Follow me I’m fu*king hilarious.

So they're able to locally grow produce, what does that mean, they don't have unsuitable weather right now.

And yet the UK still can't source their produce.

Do you make a habit of literally posting points that disprove your argument, that's twice you've done it now.

I posted pictures from the replies to the tweet I posted. Do you want me to travel around Europe to take pictures with todays newspaper in frame for you?

What's clear is UK grocery stores are rationing the sale of vegetables, other European stores are not. You can argue semantics all you want, that's the reality.

Maybe they should have planted some vegetables on those sun lit uplands Jacobs Rees-Mogg was talking about.

This is in France at a local farmers market.

You are talking about industrial level fruit growing to supply the entire UK market.

It's not the same scale . There isn't enough due to bad weather to service the whole market hence shortages.

Do you not understand the difference and the scale

GTFO with this scale BS.

There are no reports of empty vegetable shelves or rationing in Europe, there is in UK. Extensive ones.

And once again in your post you show how ridiculous Brexit was given the dependency on the 'entirety of the UK' (your words) on foreign producers and shipping practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Do you have anything to say about the other two photos? Or will you just keep harping on about the market one and hope nobody notices?

Can you explain how the shelves in those two French supermarkets are clearly not empty, not even approaching empty, and yet the UK shelves are?

Super U is a french Co-op

Many of their products come from France or countries that are not Spain or Morocco

Have a look for yourself .

What do you think about the RTE news report from empty wholesale warehouses in Ireland?

Do you have anything to say

"What do you think about the RTE news report from empty wholesale warehouses in Ireland? Do you have anything to say"

Sure. At the end the lecturer said it's likely to last a few weeks. In the meanwhile, prices have gone up. Matches my experience at my local greengrocer this morning, pepper prices had jumped.

No rationing. No expectation of long term disruption. With warming weather production should increase and prices drop and no one will notice. As it turns out, we don't have a big need for peppers over the next couple weeks, so we can wait. Plus we can always increase the amount of Irish-sourced veg like Kale and Cabbage to make up for it.

What do you think will happen in the meanwhile in the UK? With the lie of their treaty with Morocco, UK will be the rump-end of shipments of produce from the EU. When do you think rationing at Asda will be over? And, any comments on the right-wing inspired lie of the treaty with Morocco? Where's the ferry service? It'd be handy once more Moroccan producers have product.

Again, crop failures in the global warming world will be more frequent. Will the UK be better poised? You nattered on about UK becoming more self-sufficient. So, no more tomatoes during the winter? Or locally grown in greenhouses for crazy prices? Be sure your Brexit leaders won't notice the price increase though, they'll probably fly tomatoes in for Rees Moggie's sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Brexit will make food shortages worse for the UK but there are signs up in Irish supermarkets saying weather conditions have affected the availability of some berries and other stuff, a friend sent me a photo from I think Supervalu of one of these notices. Climate change will continue to make this more common.

• Advertisement

Global warming is a 'natural' process insofar as what happens when you dump a huge amount of CO2 and other gases into the atmosphere in a compressed period time. The right-wing threat is the active work to delay/defuse/deny/deflect any attempt to mitigate the problems that result and do something about the causes. Unfortunately, due to feedback cycles, humanity's likely at the 'rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic' phase of global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

global warming is a woke conspiracy by the WEF don't you know

• Registered Users Posts: 82,894 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Deleted

I don't think you are looking at this clearly.

For example and to keep it easy.

Fruit producers in Spain and Morocco due to bad weather can only grow 100 units for sale instead of the usual 300.

The Irish market (5million people) buys 15 units altogether. The shelves remain stocked until the next harvest

The UK market (67 million people) usually buys 150 units but since the producers do not have enough to sell then rationing until the next harvest is introduced, shelves are empty, prices go up. Etc

The Irish and UK markets are totally different sizes. I mentioned scale either and it's relevancy to the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

Father lives in Tours, Loire valley, I can assure you that the famed Les Halles market is not suffering any shortages whatsoever

Short enough since the early 1970s I would have thought.

Why isn't 'rationing' happening in Ireland? But it is in England? Why are English buyers, 'panic buying' so much so that the marketers have to restrict sales? Why can't the UK just handle this small, predictable problem - a bad harvest due to bad weather (due to global warming, which is exacerbated by the right-wing worldwide.)

Is there rationing happening in Ireland?

And, you agree then, the EU countries, with more economic heft, can buy in your example, 1000 units while the UK at best is around 200? So, the EU is the priority for Morocco?

And that relatively small amount of UK, 200 units now must travel through the EU countries (not on the fake right-wing ferry HMG lied about), so it takes longer plus the UK importers have all their Brexit red tape to deal with, as would the Moroccan exporters who, as the thread posted several times about this, clearly points out that the right-wing driven Brexit has caused this problem to be *specifically, noticeably and dramatically worse* in the UK?

But, do tell. Is any of this due to anything other than the right-wing? That is the subject of the thread. Brexit was the UK's grand right-wing adventure and is destroying the foundations of that once proud country as we look on from here, enjoying our fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If only there was some kind of Union that makes international trade easier for GB.......

Today's Irish examiner:

"Retail giants Supervalu, Tesco Ireland, and Lidl have confirmed shortages of fruit and vegetables, imported from Spain, Italy, and Morocco, with items such as tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, lettuce, aubergines, and cucumbers affected by unseasonal weather conditions.

The unusual conditions have led to lower agricultural production levels in these countries and made imports to Ireland harder to source"

There are most definitely fruit shortages in Ireland. Vegetable shortages too. It will likely get worse too. Expect prices to increase further.

• Advertisement

But, why is the UK rationing? Is Ireland rationing? Why is the UK going through panic buying?

And, it may last a few weeks in Ireland.

Advertisement