Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"GAA star in alleged scam" Mod Note on page 1 and 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

I'd favour making him live in a hen house in Tipperary for 3 years. During this time he'd do community service with Tipp underage hurling teams.

At the end of the 3 years he should be stoned to death by some of Tipperary's finest throwers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'd say he'd find the worst part of that,not the stoning, but to have to live in Tipp for 3 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I wouldnt be surprised if someone connected to <admin snip> bought the properties at that rock bottom price!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well given that it was the bank in question selling them, I doubt they settled for his brother or first cousin rocking up saying "I'll give you a tenner for that house in the K Club"!

Again, do you not remember the boom/crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

A full list of how many of these write downs have been provided over the last ten years needs to come out. And a list of recurring buyers needs also to be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

From this it seems he had his stem cell treatment for cancer story well rehearsed so hit up more than 100 people in the GAA community

We have learned he telephoned one well known former county player and asked him for €15,000 euros to help pay for so-called cancer treatment he was having in America. The sports star even named the hospital where he was supposed to have treatment. However the county player became suspicious and telephoned another GAA household name for advice.

He was then informed to keep his money and that many other GAA people had been stung by the same false sob story.

He allegedly took €5,000 off a GAA team kit man several months ago and also allegedly tried to hit an elderly couple in the Limerick area last year.

Again, they telephoned someone who knows him to see how sick he really was. He advised them to keep their cash.

One man who said he gave him €10,000 and never got a penny back said: "He had been a friend for years. I honestly believe he has tapped up at least 100 people if not more"

"Many people within the GAA and business world were too embarrassed to talk about it but one by one, with the gardai involved, they are starting to come forward and reach out. Another GAA insider who turned him down said: "I know of at least 20 different people who fell for his sad story and most of them are members of the GAA family. But I know in my heart this is only the tip of the iceberg.

"They are absolutely shocked by what happened. A handful became angry and fronted him up and eventually got their money back, a year or two later."This has been going on for a few years now. He uses the same modus operandi and asks for a figure, quite often it is €15,000, and rolls out the cancer and stem cell treatment story. Many people who gave him money are just too embarrassed to speak publicly and have just written it off, and vowed never to have anything to do with him again.

"People are now queuing up to make complaints and statements to the gardai. "He had a whole list of different American hospitals where he had treatment. It is understood the sports star even approached his own County Board looking for cash.

He also told them he was very sick with cancer and needed the cash. However his local GAA Board turned him down after hearing on the grapevine after making discreet enquiries.

Gardai are now investigating if he was using the cancer cash to fund his lavish lifestyle.

A Garda source said: "We will go through every complaint until we get to the bottom of this. Many people are very upset. The investigation could take several months but we have a full team working on it both locally and nationally.

"We are looking at allegations of fraud and the sums involved are 'substantial.'"

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaa-star-confronted-angry-donors-29197596

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

According to @evolvingtipperary101 we are to "be weary of what that tabloid publishes".

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

He has been arrested it seems.

Check the journal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Whoever it is, they have been arrested in the Eastern region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

And in unrelated news a former Irish hockey player from Kilkenny was also arrested today in relation to issues with her companies lack of adherence to the law.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If this is the same story, RTE mention he was arrested ih the South, not that it really matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

The Journal reports the arrest was carried out by officers of the Eastern Region which deals with much of Leinster and the south-east but excludes Dublin which has its own Region.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Designator

Is the <admin snip> case and the case of the gaa cancer fraudster two separate things ? Or what is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

Usual parents will have to deal with one black sheep in the family if they are unlucky.

Penny for their thoughts.

It should be obvious but we can't name names at this moment in time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

2 stories at the moment.

<admin snip>is in the news RE the AIB situation.

The second story is a GAA star at the centre of the Fraud case - the individual has not been named yet - for legal reasons - and cannot be named here either.

I know someone who bought one of the properties totally independent. So I would imagine the same is true for them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Fair play to him...he must be happy with that cut down price....

Im sure its gone up in value since then.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Isn't this the most ridiculous situation you ever heard.

We ALL know who this is, what the allegations are and the charges faced.

Even if we didn't all already know, there is no legitimate private or public interest reason why he should not be named, just like people are charged with offences every day and summarily named in the media. Its part of the process of common law that justice is delivered in public, by and for the people.

Sometimes I wonder do the Courts of this State live in any part of the reality in which the rest of us ordinary citizens reside.

Why can't he be named?? Now?

For the love of Robbie Williams!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Because the Courts haven't yet lifted whatever nonsense restriction they've put in place preventing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

What actual difference would it make if he was named?

It's not that your post is ridiculous. It's just that it's mind bogglingly inaccurate!

sigh! Sometimes I understand when teachers say their job can be frustrating!

I guess this thread will soon be put on ice until any impending trial is completed which will be be circa 2025 I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Once the individual is charged it should be safe to talk. As it was pre Olding and Paddy Jackson trial, once they were charged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement