Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

With all the players missing I think we’re under huge pressure now. Scarlets are on a roll with 3 wins on the trot.

Our 23 is probably this unless we get Coombes or Salanoa back:

Loughman, Scannell, Archer

Wycherley, Kleyn

6 Hurley, 8 Kendellen, 7 Hodnett

Coughlan, Healy

Zebo, Fekitoa, Frisch, Nash

Daly

Replacements: Barron, Wycherley, Knox, Snyman, Okeke, Cronin, Butler, Scannell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Loughman, Knox and Snyman likely to be ready by 10 days' time?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Coombes, Salanoa and Carbery will all be released back to Munster next week. None of them will be in the 23 for Italy unless someone goes down injured.

And none of the 4 players with muscle injuries have been ruled out either. The match is still 9 days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

We’ll get one of Carbury or Crowley back unless there is another injury at out half. It would be exciting to see both Snyman and Okeke on the bench. Campbell I think is back from a knock too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I still have a bit of hope Coombes might be in the 23 vs Italy. I wonder if it’s possible he could be and still released back for Scarlets then?

We’re down to the bare bones unless we get a few of those available, but as of now we don’t know the Irish 23 and we don’t know how bad those injuries that required scans are, and no update given on Knox or Snyman other than vague updates that they’ll be ready some time in March. Missing the U20 players too is a blow, are Scarlets as depleted as we are?

• Advertisement

You were right about the 3 being released.

Hopefully we'll have the injured lads back in time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I don’t know if anyone watched the Chiefs game this morning, but supposedly Nankivell was quite impressive in the Chiefs win over the Crusaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

extended highlights here. John Ryan did well when he came on.

I watched it, and he was good in the second half. Ball never really flowed his way in the first half (playing thirteen), and his sole involvements were some relatively loose kicks, and getting absolutely smashed in contact twice by Braydon Ennor.

He came into it more when pushed into 12 (after Anton Lienert Brown went off injured) and showed some nice moments. He's a powerful carrier and likes to look for an offload.

He had very little to do for the try, the ball kind of broke up for him after being slapped across, 3m from the Crusaders line and he finished it off. All in all, he was good.

John Ryan came on after 60 odd mins - had a mixed outing. There had been very few scrums, but seemed to have quite a few in the final quarter. His first scrum was a great effort, Chiefs visibly won the push and had Crusaders going backwards, and scored their 4th try (a beautiful try) directly from it on first phase.

They were penalised on the next two scrums though, the second of those was definitely specifically on Ryan, and the one in between wasn't clear, but probably the Chiefs LHP I thought. He was busy enough in defence, and made one nice carry.

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mod Note: There is an update to the forum charter. Please read it here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120286849/#Comment_120286849

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

i think my comments here will show I’m not a unconditional fan of Carberry, but the fanboy article’s about Ross Byrne are pretty annoying. Yesterday 24/02/23 in the Indo one ran across 2 pages with a photo and breathless comments from previous coaches, his father and teammates. Even had comments from Kelvin Leahy Munster senior School medal winner from 1983 and a coach at St Michael’s.

Irish Times today 25/02/23 has a photo and a comment in the article about how he is a calming influence- please!

for me Byrne is an average player at provincial level who doesn’t have a big match temperament He’s consistently failed to bring the ball to the line in attack thereby tying up a defender- or even breaking the tackle/ offloading

he may have improved but this drooling fanboy “journalism “ is wearing

BTW I hope he proves me wrong on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭phog

WTF ??

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ulster won and Glasgow lost today in their rescheduled matches. We're 2 points behind Glasgow in 4th. 7 points behind Ulster in 3rd.

Post edited by Eod100 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

2 points behind Glasgow. They managed a 4 try bonus point in defeat.

If they had managed to kick their conversions it would have been a LBP and a 4 try bonus point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Joey Carbery, Jack Crowley, Gavin Coombes and Roman Salanoa have all been released back to the Munster squad from Ireland camp with no 6 Nations action this weekend.

Ben Healy will also rejoin his Munster team-mates from Scotland camp.

On the injury front, RG Snyman returned to training with the squad in recent weeks and is available for selection.

Calvin Nash (chest), Jack O’Donoghue (calf), Paddy Patterson (calf) and Jack O’Sullivan (thigh) have all returned to training and their availability will be determined later in the week.

Liam Coombes will begin rehabilitation with the medical department for a thigh injury.

Continuing to rehab: Keith Earls (calf), Tadhg Beirne (ankle), James French (leg), Liam O’Connor (neck), Chris Moore (neck), Mike Haley (ankle), Tom Ahern (shoulder), Eoin O’Connor (shoulder), Paddy Kelly (head), Jack Daly (knee), Andrew Conway (knee). https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2023/02/27/squad-update-preparations-continue-for-scarlets-in-cork/#post

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

RG Snyman ... is available for selection.

Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭phog

Officials for Friday night

Munster v Scarlets

(Musgrave Park, Cork - Kick-off: 19.35 ; 19.35 GMT)

Referee: Ben Blain (Scotland)

Assistant referees: Andrew Cole (Ireland), Sam Holt (Ireland)

TMO: Andrew McMenemy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Crowley likely to start? When was the last time he played any rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He played almost 3 whole minutes on Saturday

Before that was probably January

I would hope that Crowley starts as 10 on Friday night. He needs game time and he needs to show the public what kind of 10 he is because doing it behind closed doors in Carton House isn't doing his career any good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If he starts at 10 he needs to show why he’s rated so highly there ….Munster management use him more as a 12 where he has done v well ….ass load of talent but I need convincing he’s the long term at 10 for us ….tbh more excited to see rg on the pitch

If you've been watching Munster this season and last season you'll have seen plenty of reasons why he's an exciting prospect. (Not dissing you if you haven't, I wouldn't expect most people to watch most or all of the Munster URC games)

I am very excited to see RG back too, but expectations need to be tempered a little bit given how long he's been out of action. If he comes on, has a few good involvements and goes off without injury I'll be happy. If he makes a few handling errors or is a bit off the pace, I'd forgive him that for the first few games at least. Hopefully he's back firing on all cylinders by the time we play Sharks in the Heineken Cup knockout on 1st of April

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Agree on rg …but on Crowley no doubting his talent or poteintal but we haven’t seen it at 10 ….he may be the real deal (I believe he has it in him )but we’ve seen v little of him at 10 yet to convince ……a certain Jj hanrahan had all the same similarities and he’s career amounted to little after

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Crowley is definitely a good prospect.

I'm just not sure if he is an outhalf or a young player with a lot of skills playing outhalf.

More than anything he needs gametime. Especially gametime at 10 and time if he is to progress as an outhalf.

Carberry imo turned out to be a good player playing at 10 rather than a 10.

Advertisement