Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assaulted on the boardwalk this afternoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Sorry to hear what happened to the OP, but I wouldn't in a million years dream of sitting to have my lunch on the boardwalk.

Obviously if I was a tourist with no knowledge of the area I could fall foul to it

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

That's rubbish. I used to eat my lunch there every weekday in the early noughties and there was a great variety pf people there and less a variety of ne'er-do-wells. I blame social media - it's brought out the worst cnut in so many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

"A tip of the cap sir and eyes down."

Great attitude to life you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Only once on Boardwalk last week and nearly mowed down by some some youth on scooter bike who appeared to be selling drugs to addicts sitting on the boardwalk benchs.

The general city centre has a huge amount of dealers and addicts doing their trade and when they are not they are harressing passer bys for money to buy more drugs. A very unpleasant and seedy city centre compared to the likes of London.

Its getting worse each year but law and order is in most places in Ireland - Politicans & Judges dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I used to sit on the section at Bachelors Quay the odd time having a sandwich and tourists would always be enlightened to the activity going on around them. The Eden Quay section is truly the wild west of it, open heroin dealing has made it a no go zone for everyone.

I really cant understand why the Gardai are not regularly patroling these areas. They really need to engage in preventative policing through visibility like in other countries where people causing trouble are moved on. When they get moved on constantly they get the message and stay out of the area. But instead the Gardai are a reactive police force who show up after the event rather than preventing it through good police visibility in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

any time i'm in dublin city centre i seem to avoid dealers and addicts anyway but i'd normally take the dart to pearse or cycle and park bike around south william st area. if you're uncomfortable around addicts and homeless people etc. just stay away from the quays and north city centre, although last time i was out in dublin i thought smithfield had come on a lot, lots of cool bars and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭mikethecop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Good point on the visual policing.

I actually can't remember the last time I saw Gardai on 'the beat'

I've said before Dublin City Centre should have a dedicated police force much like the London Metropolitan Police, their resources purely dedicated to policing the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You might be showing your age there, Gatling. I think the happy-slapping might be close to 20 years ago at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

until i think last year, if gardai were chasing someone on foot and they crossed the liffey, it was like crossing the county line in the dukes of hazzard; they had to raise the gardai whose beat it was on the other side, but they used different radio frequencies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

since 2005 apparently, just looked up the happy slapping wiki.. jesus christ it is grim

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its very frustrating, I reckon all it would take is a team of 8-10 Gardai constantly patroling the spine of the city centre from the top of OConnell St to the top of Grafton St. You see it in other city centres where police are just constantly on the beat either walking or on bicycle being visible and stamping out anti social behaviour, drinking, drug taking, pickpocketing etc. Their sole job is to nip stuff in the bud before it gets out of control. Garda management here dont seem to get that style of policing though, they only use reactive policing rather than preventative policing.

Maybe its a lack of resources and manpower for the Gardai, I dont know. But whatever those resources would cost is only a fraction of the lost revenue to city centre businesses because a lot of people I know no longer go in to town as they are tired of the hassle it can involve. You go to Dundrum shoppping center and the place is packed every day of the week because people can shop there in peace without beggars asking them for 2 euro or seeing people lying on benches pissed drunk on cheap cider.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Maybe its a lack of resources and manpower for the Gardai

AFAIK, there are more leaving than joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Terrier2023

So sorry to hear about that on the boardwalk, Dublin is fast becoming a very unwelcome spot. I do believe tourists will be having very different experiences this coming summer.

different how? for as long as boards has been around the same narrative of Dublin being the most dangerous place on earth has been present yet the tourists keep coming and the city gets busier and busier. i don't know anyone in dublin that doesn't go to town regularly and enjoys the place, the hyperbole on here is just ridiculous, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

Literally thousands of people use the boardwalk every day without getting whacked on the head, how on earth is that hard to believe?

It's unfortunate that the OP was the victim of some antisocial behaviour from some kids making a social media video, but the hyperbole in reaction to that is extreme. I've eaten lunch on the boardwalk and been along there many times, there are often some sad cases hanging around the area for sure but there are also loads of other people around and your chance of being attacked is still extremely tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭mikethecop

I meant that specific troll poster,

if your there regularly do you ever notice the drug dealers and junkies selling gear and pills ?

you can see them hide the stashs under the corner of the wee coffee dock thing there . or under the seating , at the base of the light fixtures ?? the empty tray of pills and wrap bags on the ground ?

Its a shame that when the gardai tried to force them off it they were stopped by the politicians who didnt want them moved out to to their areas

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Wtf the op was just minding his own business, yet he still got attacked by some piece of **** scumbag!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

So the rest of us have to suffer having even less facilities because the Gardaí and Courts service refuse to do their jobs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Wexford St, Camden St, Harcourt St, all perfectly safe areas, no junkies or dealers loitering around, no gangs of feral teenagers attacking people, what's the difference? The answer is the owners of the bars, restaurants & hotels in that area are part of or friends with the political class, so they are kept clear, the ability is there, there's just nothing in it for those in charge, the sooner people realize this and hold them to account the sooner we will see change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Its obviously a strategic decision made by Garda Senior management to implement this style of policing. Maybe that decision is forced by budget or as you said man power constraints I dont know.

If you were to have City Centre businesses subsidise a Metropolitan style branch of the force which had very visible results Im sure most would welcome it.

The scrotes also have no fear of Gardai, Id say respect but that is long gone, again the style of policing needs to change.

So much with regards to the law and justice system in this country needs to change

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

that's a bizarre take. new places open on camden and wexford street all the time, hardly all of them just happen to be friends with the political class, many of them are not irish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Temple Bar is going down hill as well in recent times . Walking through the other night there was loads of aggressive begging and scobes looking for trouble .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

DCC and AGS need to get their act together and make the Boardwalk what it was supposed to be, an attractive feature in the heart of our capital city.

A fortune was spent developing it and then they abandoned ship leaving it to become the mess it is today.

Shape up, clean it up and patrol it or dismantle it altogether.

And probably not just pro scrote but guilty at some point of similar behaviour. Why else so extraordinarily and illogically defensive of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's not completely fair. Yes there are people who have always laid it on thick about Dublin and how bad it is. That said, the place went to the absolute pits during the pandemic - times I went through the city in at night and I didn't feel safe.

I don't think the city has recovered from when it was really let go then.

I used to pass it regularly in '06/'07 and it was starting to get a dodgy contingent - saw a fella in a wheelchair injecting gear into his leg. 🤢

I disagree also with people who make Dublin city centre as a whole out to be such a no-go area, but there are bits of it I'd avoid.

• Advertisement

It has been busy and buzzing any time I've been there in recent months. You felt unsafe but nothing happened though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Advertisement